General Dance Discussion > So ... how was your dance weekend?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, May 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

My sympathies Tasek. I have quite a few knee problems, so I know what it must be like. Then on top of that those uncouth dancers. [Shakes head.]

My dancing weekend was a non-dancing weekend. But my house is looking as it should again after the wreck caused by the Ithaca festival weekend, and I have lots of good home-cooked food - a good variety. :D

2. Tasek

Tasek New Member

Thanks for the kind words people.

As far as those 'dancers' go, i'm guessing that a lot of them have probably never danced 'in the wild' before, this dance was the first time they danced outside of class, so they still have to learn some things about floorcraft and etiquette, just together with the knee, and the frustrations from friday still on my mind, I just wasn't in the right mood to be patient and just shrug it off. Ah well, let's just hope they'll learn.

3. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

My weekend...

Friday -- absolutely fantastic! :banana: :banana: :banana: My no. 1 favourite monthly, and I wasn't disappointed. The music just got better and better, and it was impossible to sit out songs. Many of my favourite leaders were there, and I also had some amazingly good dances with guys I'd never danced with before -- a couple of additions to my list of fave leaders. :D

Saturday -- no dancing... got rather depressed and was very tempeted to go out but decided to be nice to my poor knee.

Sunday -- another monthly. Had to skip the class at the beginning and had to leave early before the night really got going, but managed to get a dance from two of the best dancers and did much better than my previous attempts. I wouldn't say good, but much better so I'm happy. :D

4. squirrel

squirrel New Member

I could have had a fantastic weekend... if the atmosphere in the club weren't so tense... Local inter school fights... Gosh I hate them!

Good music on both Thursday and Friday...

Saturday I went to a new club - no Salsa, but I was with my friends and had a great time anyway...

Sunday went to play pool... good day!

And now instead of working I am writing on the forums...

5. Sagitta

I'm glad that the weekend was overall a more positive experience MacMoto. :)

Sunday was my best day. I spent some time dancing with someone after the salsa rueda class yesterday night, as she wanted to learn some cool moves. Also spent some time talking with the instructor whom I am going to be taking privates from for salsa. Talking about what we want to cover, when we will start etc. She talked about how she noticed that my technique and styling seems to have come a long way and she mentioned that she never noticed that I was musically challenged!! hmmm... :? I wonder what "musically challenged" means, and if I am or I am not musically challenged. :? is this just an excuse.....food for thought. :)

6. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

This Owl had a good one! Went to the Atlanta USABDA's monthly dance at Dance City Ballroom. I must say, for ballroom , this was one very friendly crowd! :wink:

I finally got to meet a person from Dancescape.com there and encouraged her to log on here at Dance Forums.

Surprised to find I got my Cha-Cha back (hadn't done it for a while) with a vengance, swing and hustle strong as ever, rhumba needed dusting off and some WD-40 though.

All told, this Owl flew home quite happy

7. danceguy

danceguy New Member

I missed two dances this weekend! :cry: :(

My car was in the shop...and it ended up staying a few extra days (still haven't got it back!)...and I was under the weather as well...so no dancing at all...:oops:

However...once I get my car back today (which just had a major overhaul), I'll be driving all over the place to go dancing...man...I can't wait! :car:

I think this is one of the few times I have gone over a week without any Salsa....ahh...this is no good...must...go....dancing....:headwall: :roll: ;)

SG

8. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

A week without salsa :shock: -- haven't had that for a loooong time... since the New Year holiday, when a nasty cold knocked me out. The first time back dancing after that was awesome though. :D
    Hope you've had a good dance, SG.

9. danceguy

danceguy New Member

Yeah, this is a major bummer...and I'm still without wheels...but I do have a private this Friday and plan to go dancing this weekend...help...I'm suffering from lack...of...Salsa....losing...my mind....

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! :D :headwall: :oops:

SG

10. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

Did the usual social on Friday night after practice with my competition partner. On Saturday attended the studio's 1st Anniversary Dance...spectacular! Great food, great dancing, great performances!

Then on Sunday, a lesson with my comp. partner, more practice, and then another group Waltz lesson.

(Snuck in 9 holes of golf Sunday afternoon and the weather was so nice!)

11. Sagitta

Well SG you can live vicariously through the salsa exploits of others. My dancing started on Sunday and will go on every night until this Friday, with only one day being non-salsa - foxtrot/swing tomorrow night. :) A good week, a really good week. :D

12. Tasek

Tasek New Member

Showoff!! :wink:

13. Sagitta

:p

[WEll since I'm showing off, anyway... :wink: :) My shortest post ever above!!]

14. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Friday! :shock: That's bad... you have my sympathy.
    Having said that, I'm a weekend only dancer and not sure if I get to dance much this weekend... Saturday afternoon classes may be the only opportunity I get. :(

15. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

Well, it's the middle of the week for me & I still havn't reported on my weekend just past :oops: .........

It was a long weekend for us, so Sunday night was absolutely packed but as this place loves us, we got to dance in our 'created' VIP space & had a blast....! El Washing Machine & I still rock, not to mention the very first salsa instructor couple (still together after 15 years) of Melbourne paid us a surprised visit. Long live the ledgends :notworth: ! It was such a previledge for us to share our limited dancing space with them 8) .

Prior to that, Fri night was quiet, with both Rico & SideShow Bob absent, and Sat was good as usual. wed & Thur prior to that were also on the quieter side.

This week, I ended up (helping) to teach a couple of classes. Man, do I agree with what Edie said (something like "teaching takes care of the need to dance, but at the same time it doesn't give you the same satisfaction as a fix...") 100%.......I do prefer to nurture my hand-picked newbies out there at the clubs :wink: .

My week of dancing usually begins on Wed, but I was so tired after helping SideShow Bob with the class & we have the same issue of girls out-numbering guys by 3 times :x . Instead of contributing the problem, I removed myself from it all & went home. Not in the mood to wait in line.

Staying home tonight also. It's cold & raining out there. No doubt Rico & the usual crew will have fun though 8) .

Will report back on the rest of the weekend to come.

16. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

We seem to be doing the parallel path thing again. :shock:
    I've just helped a teacher friend of mine in a beginners class. Found it rather frustrating, in spite of the fact that I was only doing something I do quite often anyway when social dancing... it somehow felt different. Had to go out afterwards for a spot of "real dancing" for my fix. I don't think I would like to be a teacher...

17. squirrel

squirrel New Member

The weekend started more or less ok :) I am quite tired though and don't know if I will go dancing tonight!
    :roll: :oops: :(

18. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

:shock: :shock: Skipping a Saturday night dance?!? You must be exhausted.

Get some rest, if you need it. 8) There'll be dancing another day. Probably tomorrow. :wink: :lol:

19. squirrel

squirrel New Member

Saturdays are horrible nights for dancing in my country!
    Almost no salsa music! Just lots of other bad music!
    And yes, I am exhausted, but that has never been an issue... :lol: :lol: I'd still go if the music were good! :roll: :oops: :twisted:

20. Sagitta

Sorry to hear about that Squirrel!! :( Does the next night hold any better promise?

My FRiday was good. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.