General Dance Discussion > So ... how was your dance weekend?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, May 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Indiana_Jay

Indiana_Jay Active Member

I feel for you. I had a bad bought of sciatica several years ago. I didn't pinch a nerve, either, but a disc had bulged enough to touch a nerve. I've had to do special back exercises for weeks. I hope your back improves soon!

-IJ

2. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

I went to the comp. My teacher and her partner were very good. I thought she looked beautiful. I'm obviously very biased, but still. They were both so... human. Even in fake tans and red nails and perfect glittery hair and fake eyelashes she joked about afterwards ("If it rains, I'm already covered."), she was flesh and bones and I could just see her emotions in everything she did. They placed 4th our of 6 couples. I didn't like the couples that came 1st and 2nd, 3rd one was another teacher from our franchise who is admittedly incredible, but I still liked my teacher best. I wish one day I'll be as good as she is.

Twilight Elena

3. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

Had a BLAST last night (Sat), I hated for it to end!!

1) My rhumba is getting noticeably better

2) Wooh, despite your protestations, your Salsa was actually VERY GOOD, I enjoyed it!!! :mrgreen:

Many enjoyable dances all around, and seeeing and dancing with not one but TWO of my hustle buddies (Terri and Donna) was a major highlight!

Also have two new favorite foxtrot tunes I gotta grab:

1) The Julie London version of "Why Don't You Do Right?"

2) The Andy Williams version of "Canadian Sunset" (VERY romantic song!)

Looking forward to next week!!!

4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

is it the weekend?

5. africana

africana New Member

It's over :D I mean the series of Jack and Jill competitions! We made it to the very last round but didn't get enough audience screams (i.e. popularity votes) to compete in the final heat. oh well, I watched the video and we actually danced much better than I thought considering my partner is an on1 dancer, and better than the couples with whom we tied just not popular enough(for audience votes). next time I'll just make more friends before such a competition lol

overall good practice for being front of crowds whew!!
    btw, it was also judged by Liz lira :cool:
    rest of night was filled with non-stop dancing, not sure about dancing tomorrow

6. luh

luh Active Member

no dancing this weekend.
    luh

7. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Better? You're too young for this! Actually, I pinched a nerve in my shoulder a few months back and felt it when practicing my arm movements. Zing! It was gone a few days later, amen. I guess as far as back issues go, you're probably better off that it's not some sort of disc issue. Not to minimize your pain, but hopefully it's over and done with and you're back shaking your groove thing ;)

8. RIdancer82

RIdancer82 New Member

Yes, my back is feeling much better. Thanks for asking. :) I don't think it's quite 100% yet, but at least there's no more pain. My right leg still has a slightly numb feeling to it, but others who have had similar injuries tell me that it's normal, but I'll check with the doctor monday at my follow-up just to be sure. And yes, I was very relieved that it wasn't any disc issues. I went to practice on wednesday night and it felt fine and I'll be going dancing tonight too (just still being a bit cautious).

9. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Lots of dancing at home. I'm planning to dance at my housemate's family reunion this weekend and then start branching out from there. Partner dance demo..not rueda...which I've done before...

10. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

I need a break. Man. But it's not a good period for a break. I've got showcases and choreographies and exams coming up.

T_E

11. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

non existant other than reviewing choreography for a showcase routine...major bummer

12. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

Went on Friday and had a GREAT time with my salsa buddy Jody (though we did lots of other dances too). Just what I needed after a nuts day at work. I keep this up that woman will turn me into a salsa-holic yet :wink:

Lots of fun dances, and a particularly delightful Hustle with one VERY cute woman who had some serious arm-styling going on. Also there was a lot less people than usual there, a fair amount were in Miami for the Salsa/Hustle Competition.

Today (Sun) I saw the Cherry Poppin' Daddies at the Atlanta Dogwood Festival, much swing dancing ensued!

13. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

Had a great time at a social. Besides having fun, now that I'm not competing, what happens at socials has become my major source of feedback on my dancing. Danced a couple times with my pro, and he had fun! That's a big compliment; it means he stops thinking of me as a student he needs to accommodate and just dances. Got spun multiple times in a couple of dances with other partners and they went fine. One was a move in hustle that I'd never done before, one of those back-to-back turns where we both go under both of our arms then directly into a spin for me. Followed it fine the first time, so he kept doing it. Whooeee!

14. alemana

alemana New Member

i had that gnawing "gotta dance, gosh darnit!" feeling all weekend. by the time the sunday social came around that evening, i had whipped myself into quite a froth.

so, in one of the most satisfying 15 minutes of my life, i ran into the social in that dance-addict frame of mind, felt the stifling heat from the room smack me in the face, and just went nuts. i grabbed one of my very favorite leads, and proceeded to have 3 very good dances in a row, without a break, all perfectly suited to my style and all to music i really liked.

i took my pulse after the third one and didn't believe the result, so i took it again.

it takes so little to make me happy, really.

afterward i relaxed more and chatted between dances - something i don't normally do - and accepted the compliments of a couple of shy but excited beginners. i really give them props for saying anything - when i was starting out i would never had the nerve to approach 'advanced' dancers. hell, i still don't.

i know i'm really on the verge of exploding in my salsa dancing.. i can feel it in my body. and even if i could deny it, the scathing looks i got from my only real competition at the event yesterday (in the restroom afterward) confirm it. she was so obvious about it i couldn't even take offense. (i half expected a nutjob with a sawed-off pipe to come out and Nancy Kerrigan me on the way home.) i know she's been dancing like three times as long as i have, so i don't know what her damage is... i really hope i don't get like that.

kill 'em with kindness, that's gotta be my motto.

15. latingal

latingal Well-Known Member

very disappointed this weekend - came down with a really bad case of post comp cold...haven't been able to breathe much less dance this weekend.

16. africana

africana New Member

:lol: :lol: go'on girl!! I know all about these battles :cool:

17. alemana

alemana New Member

thank you for reading my posts... i usually think to myself, "africana will understand."

18. hello

hello New Member

Congrats on a self boosting weekend:D Although I can't relate to comps, I just social dance, I can compare it to those small moments I have when I feel like I've danced good, broke another plateau, and hear a little smack from the crowd. I guess icy glares are a good thing, right? As long as they're jealous for a good reason:D Thinking of hiring a body guard soon?:notworth:

19. alemana

alemana New Member

(my post used the term "competition" metaphorically - i wasn't competing, i was social dancing. but the scene in new york, like i guess a lot of places, can be quite hierarchical.)

20. Lucretia

Lucretia New Member

Alemana :banana:!

I had a great weekend. Salsacongress in Gothenburg my hometown. Albert Torres and his crew, lots of international teachers and lots of people. As a matter of fact ...too much people. Many many more came than expected. All rooms where crowded esp. when celebrities like Edie and Alx Da Silva teached.

Anyhow it was a great weekend and my dancing improved. I could feel it at the last night - Sunday night.

I danced with Alex Da Silva, Albert Torres and Henry Herrera. But the best dancw I had was with a guy that worked for Torres. Not as teacher, he was more like a crew/staff member.

Looks: hugh curly hair - almost afro model but he looked more like mexican or idian. Perhaps a few kilos too much or perhaps the shape of his head fooled me - it was round with round sheeks. He was not fat. Height 1.80 m. From LA.

He was a very expressive dancer. Lots of rumba. A great spinner.

Why is he so important except for the dance?
    I was :evil: and :sad: about one teacher. This guy saw how upset I was while we was running the elevator up 5 floors. He maid me feel good in just a few seconds. Saying that a congress is not supposed to be like this. Everyone is supposed to be happy and feel joy. He also made me promise to go to the party on sunday night (I had decided to go home). I went to the party and had the best dances in the whole weekend. :banana:

If anyone knows the name of this guy I would like to have it. I want to send him a e-mail.

/Luc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.