Dancers Anonymous > So, I have a few questions

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by JenSwayze, Sep 4, 2003.

1. JenSwayze

JenSwayze New Member

Just to get to know you guys...
    A) Where are you from?
    B)Do you have a dance related occupation.
    C) Fans or Performers in musical theatre?

Here are my answers, so you know..
    A) I'm originally from Montreal Quebec, but I've grown up in Ottawa (Canada, not Illinois).
    B) Not I, unfortunately...I have yet to go to college so right now I'm kind of doing the minimum wage thing- waitress/retail. Fun though I'm a people person.
    C) Fan and Performer. Drive everyone crazy. Im sure everyone is sick of my stories. Hehe. Not here though, i feel right at home!:)

2. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

A) Modesto, CA
    B) Only part-time, when requested, but do not advertise it!
    C) Competitor

We love stories on this Website . . . so, glad you feel right at home . . . we work on doing just that!

3. d nice

d nice New Member

1. Sacramento, CA (currently)
    2. Yes, I teach, perform, and lecture (numerous swing dances, vernacular jazz, numerous blues dances, and hip hop).
    3. Fan of musical theatre, lots of friends that are in it.

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

1. Orlando Florida. Originally from Phiadelphia, PA, cool music capital of the world (at least in the sixties, seventies, and today!)
    2. Looking into part-time, non-profit dance-related career ideas. I'll keep you posted.
    3. Not in musical theater, but a big fan. :D Lots of musical productions in my past. Remind me to tell you my Sound of Music story sometime! :lol:

5. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

1. Denver, CO (currently) -- originally from Philly!!
    2. Only in my dreams! :lol:
    3. Definitely a fan of musical theatre

6. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

1. Born and raised in Phoenix, Arizona..aka H-E-double hockey sticks
    2. I teach dance at a franchised dance studio
    3. I am a fan, have not yet done a performance (my first is in Feb.) 8)

7. pygmalion

Oh my goodness! :D :D :D Where in Philly? Hawthorne pool. Hmm. Isn't that at 60th and Lancaster? If so, it's less than a fifteen minute walk from where I grew up. Trying to remember, and put things together. Are you a West Philly guy?

Wynnefield here, aka West Philly. Gompers Elementary, Beeber Middle School, Overbrook, then Girls High for high school.

Nice to meet you, brotha. :D :D

8. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

Hey, Hey that's crazy! I'm from Germantown--Wissahickon Ave. John B. Kelly Elementary, Pickett Middle School, John F. Kennedy H.S. (South Jersey). Hawthorne Park pool is actually in Willingboro, NJ--I used to spend a lot of summers out there. :)

9. pygmalion

Now it's gonna bug me until I figure out the name of that pool around the corner from where I grew up!

But yeah, I am familiar with Germantown. Spent way too many hours on the corner of Germantown and Chelten, on the way to or from music lessons and orchestra rehearsals. Took violin, flute and music theory at Settlement Music School (On Germantown, a few blocks north of Chelten) for lots of years. Fond memories.

By the way, can you get a decent cheesesteak where you are? There are two franchise places here. Charlie's Steakery, and Philly Connection. Both have pretty good cheesesteaks. The rolls are soft, though. Nobody seems to realize that authentic cheesesteaks are on hard Italian rolls. The sandwich was invented in South Philly, after all. Where the Italians live! (Sorry. Pet peeve of mine.)

10. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

1) Sacramento, Ca (currently living in CT)
    2) Right now I am a professional grad student... no-- really!... that's how I pay my rent! -- dance is for fun/sanity.
    3) Although I have been in a couple of musicals I'd only consider myself a fan.

That's really neat about pygmalian and youngsta! NIFTY!!

11. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

No I can't get a decent cheesesteak anywhere around here :evil: That would be heaven! My Dad did give me a link to a place in South Philly that will overnight one too you though. I'll need to find that link!

I do order tastykakes online though :D

12. pygmalion

I'm going to check out the Tastykakes. The sell them here in the supermarket, but only very limited varieties. Thanks for the tip! :D

13. JenSwayze

JenSwayze New Member

h-e-double hockey sticks!

haha you were speaking my language with that h-e-double hockeysticks thing... :lol: im canadian get it, haha

14. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

Re: h-e-double hockey sticks!

:lol:

15. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

Appleton, WI (not far from Green Bay...home of the Packers...the big green and gold...not really a football fan, but felt the need to add that bit of trivia. :tongue:)

No...I wish I were a professional dancer...hopefully someday I'll open my own studio.

Huge musical theater fan...but never performed nor do I have friends in the biz (professional or non)

16. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

I'm reviving old thread here :lol: ......!

A) This question has no short/easy answer from me. We are the biggest mutts out there :lol: since we come from a long line of immigrants (with relatives all over the world). I was born in Taiwan. My Mum was born in Thailand, Dad was born in Cambodia (with possibly French in him). Now we live in Melbourne, Australia.

The only place in the world I've visited so far that I felt 'blend-in' physically is Tahiti :shock: ! Now all I need is to speak French so I can fool people 8) ..........

B) No. Just a fanatic :p !

C) Absolutely...! But I havn't been that involved since I've discovered salsa.......

17. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Cool. By the way I've added this to the member introductions sticky in DA.

A) Grew up in Tanzania, East Africa. Immigrated to the States summer 1995.

B) No

C) Not a performer, but a fan.

18. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

1. Born in New Jersey, lived in New York and Missouri, yet lived most of my life in New England.

2. No

3. Not a performer, wouldn't call myself a fan, but I'd take in an occasional show.

19. Genesius Redux

Genesius Redux New Member

1. Nashville TN, but born in NY and will always be a Yankee fan!

2. Dance is on my resume as an actor--but lately I've been cast in many roles where I'm supposed to be a really bad dancer; the show I did in November and December had a whole ballroom sequence in it that I was just supposed to mess up! :lol:

3. I'm trained mostly as a straight actor, but it seems like over the last two years I've done mostly musicals.

Salsachinita, how about when we meet in Tahiti, we practice our French there together, seulement un peu sous les etoiles qui brulent pendant la nuite, ma chere Salsachinoise.... :together:

20. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

:oops: GR.....! :bouncy: