General Dance Discussion > so what is 'non' social dancing?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by rachel with the questions, Apr 16, 2004.

1. I'd define social dancing as ballroom, salsa, lindy hop, hip hop (what else?) but I am stuck to define non-social dancing....I'd say it includes ballet, modern (but what would you class as 'modern'?)

questions, questions!

2. etchuck

etchuck New Member

Personally there is partner-dancing and non-partner dancing. As for social dancing, that's tough to say... certainly the "artistic" dances probably wouldn't be classified as such, but I am not academically knowledgeable that there would be a clear distinction there since many "modern" dances take from social dancing sometimes.

3. ShyDancer

ShyDancer New Member

Modern to me is Ballroom! Modern Waltz ,Quickstep, Tango etc..... thats international style though.. its Standard in the US isnt it??

I think all dancing is social though, Id also stick Latin, New Vogue (sequence dancing), line dancing, belly dancing, irish dancing..as social dancing.

Do you mean non social as in not partnered? Or as in there are no social venues that hold events to cater for a paticular dance type?

Ive never heard of a ballet social on a friday night! :lol:

Maybe others can be of more help!

4. D-spot

D-spot Member

Non-social. Anything that you don't 'commonly' dance at normal everyday functions.
    So, ballet for sure, tap as well. Jazz I'm not too sure about where that comes.

Terminology.
    Ballroom, used in England to mean both the ten international style dances or only the five standard dances (determine by context or ask).
    Standard, International Style ballroom comprising Waltz (sometimes referred to as modern waltz or English waltz), Viennese waltz, slow foxtrot, tango and (my favourite) quickstep.
    Smooth is the American Style (sometimes also known as Social Style)comprising of (help me out here) modern waltz, foxtrot, viennese and tango.
    Social style, aka American Style, but can also refer to dancing in a social setting. Both American Style and Intenational style can be danced socially or competitively (mainly International in Canada and the rest of the world except for the states).
    Latin - International Style referring to rumba, cha-cha, samba, jive and paso doble (a dance I would consider to be a non-social dance as it is not frequently danced even in the social ballroom world, perhaps one a night but usually only by request).
    Rhythm - American Style, comprising rumba, cha-cha, bolero, swing, mambo.

Hope I have this right.
    Hope it helps.
    D-spot.

5. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Social vs non-social? I believe that most dances can be danced socially, though some may be more difficult to do. For instance, international rhumba is more difficult because it requires more space then American rhumba, which is compact. Then there is paso doble that I've never seen done, except in competitions and performances...

6. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Modern is a type of ballet. Uses ballet technique, but has different style.

Search the web for Balanchine (greatest modern choreographer).

Almost forgot: in Ballroom world "Modern" means the four Standard Dances: Waltz, Fox Trot, Quickstep nd Tango. Vienniese Waltz is sometimes included, sometimes not.

7. Genesius Redux

Genesius Redux New Member

Anti-social dancing is like when you kick your partner, or spill drinks on everyone, get burned with cigarette ash. You know, the kind of thing that usually happens at the club.... :wink:

8. jon

jon Member

First define "non-social" more precisely. You get a different list of dances depending as you define it as "performance" or "non-partnered" or "not done in a room full of other people doing their own thing".

9. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

I always figured that social dancing was like social drinking, where you do it when you're out with others.
    As opposed to doing it alone at home.
    With CDs of dance music hidden away all over the house so that you won't run out.
    And polishing off a dance number or two before it's even lunchtime.

You know, a problem dancer.

Think I feel a bender coming on this weekend.

10. Genesius Redux

Genesius Redux New Member

:lol: Friends don't let friends dance and drive.

Do you dance when you're alone?
    Do you dance before 10 o'clock in the morning?
    Have you ever had a hard day at work and you just need that one dance to help you unwind? And then it turns into two, and four, and before you know it you've been dancing all night?
    When a song comes on in the car while you're driving, do you start to move your hips?
    Have you ever gotten up in the morning, and you don't remember who you were dancing with?

You may have a dancing problem.

Fortunately we have a Forum for you. It's called Dancers Anonymous. Just drop by any time, and say, "Hello. My name is X. And I'm a dancer."

:lol:

11. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Last night in class, my partner started to panic a bit saying that she had completely forgotten the routine. So I told her to relax and not to worry because I'm the designated driver.

Though actually I think that was when she really started to worry.

12. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Awesome!:)

13. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

It's good that she started to worry that Dwise1 is the designated driver? :shock: By the way I like it - "designated driver" I'll make sure I remember that.

14. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

OK, so maybe I do take a wrong turn now and then, but I always get there eventually. And usually in one piece.

Without ever having to stop and ask for directions.

15. Thanks all for shedding some light on this issue!
    :lol:

16. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Any time. I have a feeling we're by no means done, yet. :wink: :lol: Has anyone tackled the social versus competitive dance divide? Meaning social dance equals partner dancing in a non-competitive environement, versus partnered dancing in competition?

17. Flat Shoes

Flat Shoes New Member

To me social vs. non-social dancing is dancing for the one self and the partner vs. dancing for an audience.

In that sense most partner dances can be both social or non-social. And many single (no partner) dances are non-social dances.

I don't however think there's any strict separation between these two categories though.

18. Nope! We're not quite done!

And to throw a spanner in the works, how about this one?

Is Egyptian Belly Dancing a social dance? Or a non-social dance?

My belly dancing teacher says it IS social - you can perform both with partners or alone.

I'm not sure! Surely ALL dance is social on one level - but I'm talking the official stuff here! Confused? I am!

:wink:

19. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Perhaps a distinction might be made between dances that one can do with a partner vs. ones that one cannot without one?

20. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

how about the assumption of the practice of courtesy as an aspect of social dancing? and along these lines, an expectation of common conventions/understanding...