Tango Argentino > Videos > So You Think You Can Dance... Argentine Tango (Fantasia)

Discussion in 'Videos' started by Me, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Nope, not what I'm meaning to imply.

A week certainly isn't enough time for much of anything. On that point, I give them massive credit. And if they're having to overcome prior dance training (which I didn't realize), they're working from even more of a handicap.

I'm just saying I don't much care for the choreo, to varying degrees.

(Well, and being crotchety about the bowlegged stuff. I understand they have other things to think about, and other training to overcome. It just stands out at me unpleasantly. And I feel like being crotchety! :) )

2. Beto

Beto Active Member

Less than a week. The dancers get about 5 hours (split over 2 days) with the choreographers and then use the remaining days until Monday's taping to practice on their own. They learn their new dance style Thursday night, learn with with the choreographer(s) on Friday and Saturday and normally do the tech rehearsal on Sunday.

3. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

if you already are a dancer, and they are, no metter which type of dance, you'll need 3 hours to learn the steps.

everything else is practicing how you look on the floor.

i think they have enough time to practice. :cool:

4. Beto

Beto Active Member

I never said that they didn't have enough time. ;)

5. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

Excellent point! Thank you! It's extremely hard to "unlearn" turnout, which is so ingrained in your muscle memory.

No, they have never talked about "unlearning." It takes constant drilling, constant reminders. And it could take years.

6. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

...oooh...didn't mean to open a can of worms like this...

Sorry, all.

7. Me

Me New Member

I don't think you said anything bad, or wrong? I don't think you have anything to apologize for. :)

It looks to me on this thread that we have several people from different dance backgrounds posting their opinions, which is really, really helpful (at least, to me). I like reading it all.

8. bastet

bastet Active Member

COmeplete agreement on that. Unlearning (or, maybe...consciously putting aside) dance training that isn't relevant to the dance you are dancing at that moment is REALLY hard and takes a lot of work, and conscious effort.

It makes me wonder if they've really ever thought about that in this show.

I think it may be a little easier to get away with it and "cover you tracks" a little, if you will, in some of the dances, maybe....and that's only a maybe...but in others, like AT...nope....it has a distinct walk for example, and none of the videos I've seen thus far have even THAT aspect correct (little to no leg extension, stepping from straight leg to straight leg like a latin dancer...and other things like Peaches said)...

Partly I can't stand obvious show tango anyway, but forced show tango generally makes me cringe even worse. :rolleyes:

9. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

10. bastet

bastet Active Member

hmmm... interesting. I liked what they were doing...the movements and I like her footwork. I didn't really like his hand or head placement for himself. That may be part of what is causing you not to like him...

11. bastet

bastet Active Member

12. Taniquel

Taniquel New Member

To me, he looks like he learned his steps very well and is executing them instead of actually dancing. Something definitely seems to be missing, be it emotion or connection with his partner, I'm not really sure.

Also, perhaps because of the very small steps, he give me the impression of being shy or even hesitant. And overall, he doesn't seem to be doing much. But I am not a man and perhaps I don't fully appreciate what he is actually doing...

One thing I am (almost) sure of, I would probably find it hard to dance with him.

13. Taniquel

Taniquel New Member

Personally, I like these two better and I think it is all because of the man's attitude. (I think I really need a new partner because I am starting to obsess!)

14. jhpark

jhpark Member

don't like the way he holds his left hand. isn't that uncomfortable for the follower? or not necessarily?

15. bastet

bastet Active Member

16. bastet

bastet Active Member

it doesn't have to be...but it can be....I think unless someone actually SHOWS a lead how to do this properly and they just try and mimic the look... it ends up hurting...(I'm speaking from experience on the follow side on this). :)

Ok- I know I am being a little picky...but I also think another thing that is making him look a little cold or mechanical is the huge 1970's glasses....ditch the geek wear....These are mostly aesthetic things that don't have much to do with his actual leading ability, only his perceived leading and dancing...but, as with any other dance, how you are perceived is a pretty big deal, no matter how it feels.

I think he just needs a littel makeover, mostly...and bring his head back up over his shoulders....

17. bastet

bastet Active Member

Yes- Shastro has an "ease of gait" that I like that I think you are seeing. I've begun to think that has a little to do with the personality of the dancer.

18. dancinrina

dancinrina New Member

A kind of beginner question here.... Why do the women look like they're about to fall over or as if the guy is dragging them across the floor instead of them owning their own weight? I can appreciate that this may be stylistic and hard to do but, I really don't like that look....

19. bastet

bastet Active Member

Which video were you talking about....the one of the Italians? Where he really did drag her across the floor? :)

As for the others, or the tango embrace in general...it is different from what frame you may use in ballroom. You hold yourself differently and focus your axis differently. (and i can tell you it takes a lot of effort to unlearn the one for the other) But I don't see them as leaning over or falling over. That "lean" you see is, to some degree, an illusion of how they couple focuses their weight and which part of their bodies are focusing towards one another. The focus is not in the pelvis, it's in the solar plexus and abdominal region.

20. Me

Me New Member

This is where you begin to explore the many, many different styles of tango. Different embraces, different weight distribution... Some people will tell you something different, and some people will tell you "X is wrong. Y is right." or "Y is better than X." "This is true tango... that is not true tango" ETC. I think the key is to learn them all and appreciate them all.

What you are seeing is what is called "apilado" style of tango dancing. Probably an easy way to illustrate what you are seeing is with this picture of Gavito and Marcela in an extreme apilado pose:

[​IMG]

Think about how you take two pieces of plywood and lean them up against one another, forming a pyramid. Neither piece is about to fall over - Each is perfectly balanced by the other.