Ballroom Dance > So You Think You Can Dance - Ballroom Portion

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Porfirio Landeros, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Porfirio Landeros

Porfirio Landeros New Member

Fox has officially made their statements as to who the choreographers for the new show, So You Think You Can Dance.

Champion Ballroom Academy in San Diego can once again bask in the media spotlight, as the owner/founder, Mary Murphy, has been billed as the ballroom choreographer for the show.

She's been working for weeks with the "kids", who are primarily hip-hoppers, pop-and-lockers, etc., teaching them out to swing, waltz and foxtrot.

A few ballroom couples made it through the earlier rounds, but the empasis on the solo-dance styles kind of filtered them out. We'll see if at least one or two ballroom'ers made it through.

Anyway, time to make the best of more ballroom flava' on TV :)

The official FOX site is here ( http://origin.fox.com/dance/showinfo/ ), where you can see her bio along with the Salsa, Hip Hop, Broadway, and Classical choreographers' bios.

2 people like this.
  2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Amen to that. :D

1 person likes this.
  3. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Tritto! :)

4. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Can you have a tritto without a ditto? :shock: :lol:

5. Porfirio Landeros

Porfirio Landeros New Member

Mary Murphy AND Ron Montez

Mary Murphy and Ron Montez appear to be lead judges and choreographers representing ballroom/Latin on Season 2 of So You Think You Can Dance. I wonder if Ron is a replacement for Alex Da Silva, since Alex's range was much fewer dances (Salsa/Mambo/Cha/Arg.Tango) whereas Ron can choreograph all those and THEN SOME.

Here's a portion of the release I saw on DanceSportComps.com:
    Also, I hear a few partnerdance teams have made it through, like Benji Schwimmer and his cousin Heidi... they tried out on different sides of the country. Can't wait to see how the talent pans out this season!

The Premier is Thurs, May 27th, 8pm on Fox

6. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

Borrowed Choreography?

Watched part of the season-opener last night. The Russian Latin couple who danced in the first part of the show appeared to have danced Max and Yulia's choreography from the PBS "America's Ballroom Challenge" show.

To paraphrase another show's title, "Who's Choreography is it Anyway?". Are they students of M&Y?

7. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

Yes, I thought that looked familiar! I don't know the answer to your question, though. Did they make it past that first round?

8. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

They did make it through to the next round.

9. wyllo

wyllo New Member

So where are all the standard/smooth dancers? I know this competition would be difficult for most people who concentrate on these disciplines, but there have got to be some couples out there who are cross trained in the other dance styles?!

Also, I wonder if the latin couple would have gotten through if the judges had known the choreography was not original? They seemed to praise a lot of the dancers for their uniqueness and for finding ways to set themselves apart.

10. Laura

Laura New Member

Good question...I can just imagine what Mary would have thought if she had been one of the judges and seen it. The others would have been going on about how great it is, and Mary would have said something like "don't copy a great original unless you can do it at least as well and make it your own." Or maybe "how many times did you watch the tape to rip Max & Yulia's choreography?" :)

11. Remember, their not being Judged on their choreography skills but on their dancing.

12. alemana

alemana New Member

well, to be technical, i'd guess Y&M don't do all their own choreography anyway....?

13. LindyKeya

LindyKeya Member

Did anyone else catch the tirade about teaching when you can't even dance? Apparantly it's not just a ballroom problem.

14. wyllo

wyllo New Member

Well, true, and there really is no such thing as completely novel choreography since its all built on fundamentals or inspired by other work. But, I think I would be a little miffed if I spent many, many hours choreographing a piece only to see someone else copy it wholesale. Assuming, of course, they didn't have permission to do so...

And, yes, saw the tirade on teaching - good for them! Although I did feel bad for the girl who was in the spotlight at the time (she's probably only doing what she was told was o.k.).

15. pygmalion

Ballroom flava. Isn't that an oxymoron? :rolleyes: ;)

16. stas181

stas181 New Member

!!! !!! !!!

hi, this is Stas,
    we completely understand which routine we partially did on our first audition. we know that what we did was not the best thing but since we decided to audition last second, and had this music for a while even before max and yulia's show came out, so we just used this idea because we think they are amazing. in no way did we try to compare to them, but just the routine is far from what is judged in dancing. we decided to audition last minute and just wanted something that would stand out. actually most of the routine was our own but it was cut out and ironically the only parts they showed were the ones we took from max and yulia, because our parts were in partnership but they wanted to show that side by side just to sort of seperate us as people. we were judged individually. this routine and music was NOT what got us past that round, which was only the very beginning of the auditions. ...(unless you are a jelous person you wouldn't start this thread, instead be happy for those who made it)

p.s....the routine in NOT what is being judged and NOT our comparison to Max and Yulia, who we respect very much!

17. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Hi Stas,

The thread wasn't started with your performance in mind....it became a topic of discussion well into its existence. I really don't think there's any jealousy involved at all. Probably just curiosity at the 'borrowed' choreography.

I am curious, though, if the routine was not being judged, why was it being done? I don't really watch the show.....but good luck to you!

18. pygmalion

Hi Stas. Welcome. :)

19. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

Hi Stas! Welcomed to DF! :D

Hope to see you around.

20. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Yeah I agree. I didn't get that either. I think that sometimes threads can start one way though and end up a different way lol.

I really don't watch the show either. The host is what bothers me. I know she's a big celebrity over in England, but I don't know. I think that they could have picked out a better host and one that knew a little bit about dancing would have been nice instead of one that looked beautiful lol.