Ballroom Dance > So You Think You Can Dance - Ballroom Portion

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Porfirio Landeros, Jul 14, 2005.

1. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Umm, I doubt that the contracts ABC has with Louis and Max allow them to go be involved in such a capacity on a different network... ;)

2. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Jean-Marc Genereux is a top coach!

3. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

And I'd say the same about Michael Mead and Toni Redpath.

4. dancergal

dancergal New Member

Thanks Beto for that interview. It was very interesting. I always wondered why Donyelle looked so pained when the judges spoke to her after a dance. Here she was trying to control her pain and seem interested in what they had to say and probably waiting to leave the stage and scream a little. Seems to me that with all their injuries, the show would consider giving them more down time to heal. Shame on them for not considering that these kids are not professional dancers and probably got more injuries trying to do movements they were not trained to do. I read about similar incidents of injuries on the set of "Dancing with the Stars." I guess that's the price of fame.

5. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

I think the overall quality of the dancing has declined in the last few weeks, and I think that's because Fox is basically sacrificing the quality (and the dancers' bodies) to greed. In order to have two shows a week, and to extend a lot of them to two hours (and get the advertising revenue that a hit show commands), the dancers are having to do so much more than last year.

I saw a clip of Heidi being interviewed and she said they had only had one day off in the past eight weeks. She also said that, because of exhaustion and injuries, they don't feel like they are able to dance their best anymore.

In the real world, do dancers have a union, like actors have Equity and SAG? I sure hope so!

6. new-ish

new-ish New Member

I think that this is such a rare opportunity for professional dancers to get public exposure that these young dancers are tired, but very happy to be there.

7. Thank you for the information.

Prof B Rothbart

8. Porfirio Landeros

Porfirio Landeros New Member

I had tickets to go to the taping today, but my flight was too late and I couldn't change it :'(

I don't think I would have gotten early results, though, because I think that will only be revealed on a special taping on Wednesday, so I don't think we'll be seeing a finale spoiler in the usual blogs/places...

9. Beto

Beto Active Member

Spoilers have been posted online from the 2pm and 5pm tapings from yesterday but none of them reveal who won. Just info on the Top 20 doing the Zombie routine (Wade Robson's piece, IMHO the best results show performance on this 2nd season) and the top 10 doing the Cell Block Tango routine. The link below has more info and is a good read.

http://vixen-ontheedge.blogspot.com/

10. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

Sunday night, I checked out tickets for the tour, and they were already sold out!!!!

11. Beto

Beto Active Member

I feel your pain. I found out the hard way, yesterday morning, that they sold out the DC show in 12 minutes on Saturday morning. By 10:12am, they were gone. I thought I had more time and it stings knowing that 3 of my friends were lucky enough to get tix for the show. Prices here are double so it looks like I have little hope of going. I totally forgot that they went on sale and am shocked at how fast they sold out. :(:(:(

12. victordancer

victordancer New Member

Go benji

I am rooting really hard for benji today even though the results are in. Although travis was clearly more skilled in his technique as a contemporary dancer, it is important to keep in mind that the show was about "America's favorite dancer" and included latin, swing, ballroom and partnering skills as equal elements in choosing the winner. In my mind, clearly, benji was the best in these areas. Add his personalilty, creativity, humor, charisma and posative energy which stood out consistently on the show with all of his partners and in his solos and he is my winner. GO BENJI

13. fenixx

fenixx Member

I agree with you here TufTuf. I would like to see the "next level" of ballroom coaches on this show. I agree with SDsalsaGuy that Max and other DWTS pros wouldnt be able to do the show due to conflict of interest. Jean-Marc and Toni are both top level coaches, but I would say that Vibeke, Alan, Bryan, Hans, Donnie, Paul K, are in the next level (not to mention Lorraine, Peter Maxwell, Ruud, etc) - and these are just the latin coaches. I would love to see these people on the show.

14. Porfirio Landeros

Do you really think different choreography is going to make a difference with dancers untrained in ballroom? How much better can someone do if they still don't have technique and only 3 days to perform a routine? Even worse, if you think flashier routines will fix the problems, aren't those routines going to be even harder for the non-ballroom dancers to pull off in time?

I believe that with any ballroom coaches on the show (name drop all you want), you will find that the final performances will be more limited by the skills of dancers rather than the choreography skills of the coaches. Also, you'd have another camp of ballroom dancers on this board complaining why a whole other set of coaches aren't on this show... it's a viscous circle.

You really just have to accept the show for what it is, and if you want better ballroom dancing on the show, more ballroom dancers have to make it to the finals... it's that "simple" ;-)

15. fenixx

fenixx Member

I dont disagree that 3 days to learn is not much time for a non-ballroom dancer. If you are saying that the coaching doesnt really matter, then why not get some lesser known coaches? Why Jean Marc, a Canadian Champion or Toni an American Smooth Champion? Why not get some of the semi finalists out there to teach? Why do they get Wade on the show? Why not get someone else that doesn't have his status? Because Wade is at the top of his game. My point is to simply find other ballroom people who are at the top of the game, not just near the top. I am sure the coaches I mentioned could put together top quality choreography as well as get those last few ounces of dancing out of the competitors...its why people go to them in the first place.

16. Porfirio Landeros

Well, my assertion that the quality of the performances is weighted more toward the dancers is based on my belief that Jean Marc, Ron Montez, Toni and Michael... are at the "top." Swap these coaches out with other "top" people, and you'll still have to depend on the abilities of the dancers to perform the routines. None of these ballroom coaches are levels below finalists... do we need to list their championship titles for the record, or their current contributions to those that are rising (or in the top) of the current ranks?

17. jbouey

jbouey New Member

I'm finding that in the last few weeks everyone (observers and judges alike) seems to be cooing over the superior technique that Travis has over the other competitors in the finals. I feel somewhat frustrated by this generalization, and in a few of the discussions I've had with others, have found that I'm not the only one.

I agree that in contemporary, Travis is in his own league compared with the other 3 dancers. However, it seems like people have forgotten that EVERY dance style has it's own technique, and that Benji, Heidi, and Donyelle are all superior to Travis in all of the other styles (swing/latin/hip hop).

I don't really have an opinion on who should be declared the winner. I think they all show qualities that are desirable and admirable and are all incredibly talented, so any way it ends up will be great for dance on the whole. I just wish that all of the styles were discussed/shown in a more equal way. Just because someone hasn't taken contemporary instruction before doesn't mean they aren't a trained dancer or that they lack amazing technique...all it means is that they aren't a trained contemporary dancer and that maybe they lack amazing contemporary technique.

This is all just my thoughts on the show as a promoter for dancing. I know it is great publicity for all styles, I just wish that it didn't feel like judges were overlooking/underrating the skills and abilities of dancers in styles besides contemporary (which I love, by the way...I just don't agree with the impression that someone like Mia - whom I respect as a dancer - gives of 'it is only real dancing if it is art, and the only dance that is art is the type that I do').

18. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums, jbouey, and I think you raise some excellent points. Ballroom is underrated, imo, compared to the other dances. And a testament to the ballroom dancers on the show is that they make it look easy, when we all know it's not. I think (and others may disagree) when there's 2 of you out there, there's more likely something can go wrong, a mistake, that can reflect on the partner who didn't make it. Dancing solo...*I think* can hide that a little better. But, I really don't have the experience myself to swear to this....so fire away....

I think if a non-dancer knew how much technique went into one lousy ballroom step, they'd be amazed!

Go Benji!

19. marianya

marianya New Member

Well... what's interesting is how much the show seems to be geared towards contemporary. I could understand Mia's point of view (coming from a contemporary background) but at the same time Mia doesn't really know how hard it is to do ballroom dancing (making the switch myself... I have so much respect for you guys!!!!).

The thing about contemporary (and ballet and other styles of dancing) is that you aren't so reliant on someone else to make things go smoothly... unless you want to count group routines, but that's a totally different story altogether.

One of the things I've learned (and still learning) while doing ballroom is just how much you have to rely on your partner to make the dancing work. Granted, when you're just spinning around on the dance floor I could see the generalization of why it looks "easy", but without a true "connection" that smoothness disappears and it looks... hooky?

I really liked SYTYCD because it truly does showcase all types of dancing, but dancing is as dancing goes... it's an art form ballet, contemporary, hip hop, ballroom, latin, swing, heck even tap (I dear hope they do tap next season I would love to see that! Because if the producers are willing to toss dancers through quickstep they have got to be willing to dump tap on them as well.)

I wonder if Buddy Schwimmer would be able to do some swing choreography next season, I know he was asked for the current season. But for obvious reasons he had to bow out... but since Lacey is trying out next season I don't know....

20. fenixx

fenixx Member

Porfirio, if you assume Jean Marc and Toni are equal to Donnie Burns and and the Hiltons, then by all means it doesnt matter. I think there is another level that is yet to be explored.

I do agree, changing the topic, that ballroom is undervalued on this show. I do have two points that beg thought: 1) Do you think because this competition is about individual dancers styles which showcase the individual should carry more weight? 2) Do you think because the final prize includes a contract in a contemporary show that contemporary should carry more weight?

I think if the contract had a part in Burn the Floor, the judges would be promoting Benji not Travis.