Ballroom Dance > So You Think You Can Dance - Ballroom Portion

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Porfirio Landeros, Jul 14, 2005.

1. marianya

marianya New Member

It's interesting that you brought up point 2 because the prize in the first season was an apartment and some money... nothing to do with dancing persay... yet this season it's a part in a show... and knowing what the dance portion of the show consists of it may be safe to assume that they are gearing dancers towards that prize (thus the lack of some dance styles).

Maybe Celine's show was/is a sponsor as thus why it's the 'prize'?

2. Porfirio Landeros

Porfirio Landeros New Member

I don't really want to have a debate comparing professional champions with each other, especially across different styles and eras.

My main question is how much can it matter when you already have top coaches and un-trained ballroom dancers?

Do you think Marcus Hilton makes a better coach for a wedding couple learning a first dance than Heather Smith? Okay, we're not talking wedding couples, but neither a wedding couple nor most SYTYCD contestants have standard training, so both Marcus and Karen would choreograph around the limitations of their dancers, and the dancers would need to deliver a polished performance in 3 days.

So, if I were to accept the idea that you know of better choreographers that should be on this show, I guess my response would be “why waste their time?”; there are already more than competent coaches on this show up to the task at hand... maybe the producers will rotate a few more in/out, but I don't believe you can expect much more ballroom technique than what the field of contestants have to offer based on their talents and skills, which includes their ability to learn technique along with the routines quickly.

Ballroom could be better or worse next season... it depends on the contestants.

3. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

Congratulations to Benji !

4. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

Indeed!

I wonder if he'll take the job?

5. victordancer

victordancer New Member

congratulations benji

Congratulations to Ballroom and Benji. On a side note, how about heidi's solo-the best of the evening. Also, congratulations to the producers of "So You ThinkYou Can Dance" who put together a decent two hour finale. Finally, thanks to Mary for making it clear that there is just as much technique in ballroom, swing, and latin dancing as there is in contemporary dance.

6. Dance4Ever

Dance4Ever New Member

Very well said!

7. dressgirl

dressgirl New Member

Yea for Benji! Yea for Ballroom!

8. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

YAY, BENJI!!!

Woooo hooooo!!
    Congratulations!

9. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

OK, but now tell us how you really feel CCCC :wink: :lol:

10. Porfirio Landeros

It was very cool that for the record, Mary stated that Benji AND Travis are both technical dancers (Benji in Swing/Ballroom and Travis in Contemporary).

Other forums and blogs kept calling Travis the technical dancer and Benji the entertainer, but Benji's had a lifetime of dance training, and tonight it paid off :)

11. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

woo hoo!! Way to go, Benji!

And you know, I don't know what I'm going to do not being able to hear Mary's laugh again any time soon. It grew on me!

12. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Congratulations, Benji!!! Woo-hoo!!! Well-deserved win!

And thank you, Mary, for pointing out how well the latin/ballroom/swing dancers did and for pointing out that these dances have technical aspects too. It's not just moving your feet in patterns on the floor!

I really thought the show was building us up to a Travis win, so I was all the more delighted when they read Benji's name. (Though P.S. to whoever scripts the show: awkward to have Heidi dance her solo first, then tell her she is not America's favorite with maybe 40 minutes of the show to go, INCLUDING a number in which Heidi dances. I could tell Heidi already knew it wasn't her by the time they opened the envelope...and of course, so did the rest of us, because they couldn't tell Heidi she won with that much show left. Silly script!)

ChaChaMama

13. Beto

Beto Active Member

This was posted over on SW and it's something that I think would be of interest to y'all.

14. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

DITTO!! I'm glad Benji came out on top, he really earned it!!

BUT WHAT WAS UP WITH SIREEEEEN DIJON ON THIS THING, YIKES!!! :eek:

And also have to admit I LOVED that sexy Samba early on in the show! :mrgreen:

15. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Big Congratulations to Benji. I am so happy for him, he really does deserve this.
    Ballroom is getting such a great publicity boost, this is fabulous for everyone.

16. vikinyc

vikinyc New Member

Congrats to Benji - Yay for Ballroom!!

17. tuftufwang

tuftufwang Member

Definitely agree with you here felixx. If they can bring in Wade Robson, who is easily the rock star in his field, why not bring on ballroom coaches at the same level of calibre? Felixx is not name-dropping here but merely mentioning that there is a group of top-level of coaches who can bring ballroom/latin dancing to the next level on this show. Because of their experience in competing and teaching, they would be able to work excellently with non-Latin dancers as well as Latin/Ballroom-trained dancers. Jean Marc, Michael and Toni and definitely qualified teachers but if you do a little bit of research, you'd find that many competing pro and amateurs are going to Allan Tornsberg, Shirley Ballas, and the equivalent, rather than the current choreographers on the show.

HOnestly though, I thought the routines choreographed by Jean Marc, Michael and Toni, were rather bland and boring. I know some of you are going to argue that many of the contestants are not trained in this area and so you can't expect much and the routines had to be brought down to the level of the dancers. But I think we are merely suggesting that by bringing in the top-level rock star coaches, they would be able to better convey tecnique, style, and the rhythm of a chacha or waltz within the short crazy timeframe to the contestants.

Not arguing on who should be considered top Latin coaches or whatever, but for those of you who are dancesport competitors would know that there really is a difference who you train from. These contestants are not "wedding couples" learning a waltz, they are pro dancers in their own field and if they deserve to work with Wade and Mia, why not Allan and Viebeke?

18. Porfirio Landeros

And again, I guess I have to repeat, this show has less to do with contestants with ballroom dance experience and more with coaches having to choreograph to the abilities of the dancers at hand. National champions and world finalists are already on this show... by no means am I saying I don't want to see the people mentioned, I just take offense to people believing there are others out there that can do a significantly better job with the same level of dancers in the short time frame. A non-ballroom dancer taking a 45 minute lesson with Glenn Weiss or Allan Tornsberg will probably end up doing a feather step about the same, especially in the eyes of the audience through a TV screen.

If any of the choreographers that have been mentioned would like to get agents and submit to the show, they should, but speculating on here about who can do a better job on this forum isn't going to get anything done, and in a way, is disrespectful to the coaches already on the show that seem to be helping the (ballroom) dance industry more than hurting it.

19. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Allan, Shirley, Viebeke... for a waltz? for a quickstep? I assume that our former undefeated US Smooth Champions might have a few more choreograohic ideas up their sleeves for these dances... And Jean-Marc was/is one of the most clever choreographer and show performers. I also don't see what the problem is. It is not like they are hiring baby teachers to do the work, they are picking World Finalists. Not too bad if you ask me.

20. Beto

Beto Active Member