Ballroom Dance > So You Think You Can Dance - Ballroom Portion

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Porfirio Landeros, Jul 14, 2005.

1. fenixx

fenixx Member

Dont get me wrong, I love Jean-Marc, Michael & Toni, and Ron. I think they did a great job on the show. My point, simply, is that the producers seem to try and get, as TufTuf puts it, the "rock stars" of the hip hop and contemporary world to come and choreograph on SYTYCD and I would like to see the same for ballroom. In a way it further legitimizes the competition when the "best of the best" are there. All of the ballroom coachs on the show to date are top flight and all are former champions who are very competent; At least in the latin, I would like to see that next level.

2. dancergal

dancergal New Member

Congrats to Benji! I am so happy for him! (Did you see his father crying in the audience?) He was my favorite, of course being a West Coast Swinger myself. I was so pleased to see both he and Heidi in the final four.
    I really thought the finale show was great. I enjoyed watching the dancers choose their favorite dance routine and dance it again for us. I agree that I didn't care for the way they let Heidi and Donyelle know that they did not win. That was badly done. Why not just let them all know at once? I wonder why they did it that way?

3. Medira

Medira New Member

Because they wanted the extra suspense that came from just having the two guys there....?

4. DancerForLife

DancerForLife Member

Fenixx - who do you have in mind? I like your suggestion, but I'm coming up short re: top pro latin / rhythm dancers who are 1. camera-friendly; 2. patient and good with all levels of couples; 3. live in Southern California; 4. are not slated to be contestants on DWTS 3.

Steve Vasco is great, but he lives in SF and he is a past champion also.

5. Beto

Beto Active Member

They did it last year too. First the shocker with Ashle going home BEFORE Jamile and then Jamile being sent home afterwards. Then after Melody and Nick's solos, they announced who won. So the format this year borrowed last year's. I agreed it was in poor form to knock Heidi out so early when you still had about an hour and 20 minutes to go on the show.

6. chandra

chandra New Member

Go Benji!

7. Beto

Beto Active Member

TV Guide's Matt Roush weighs in on last night's finale

http://community.tvguide.com/forum.jspa?forumID=700000048

Watching Wednesday night's finale of So You Think You Can Dance, I couldn't help but think about drafting a memo to American Idol (which ironically is also produced by a certain Nigel Lythgoe). Something along the lines of: "Now this is how you produce a grand finale."

Yes, like Idol's finale, this was also torturously padded to a two-hour length. But these two hours were awfully entertaining, with each of the four finalists allowed to re-create their favorite routines with their favorite partners. Which meant multiple opportunities to watch Benji, Travis, Heidi and Donyelle in action. (I had missed Donyelle and Benji's Hairspray routine, and was charmed. Hey, the all-star movie version has yet to go into production.... Maybe those producers could use some of these kids in the big dance numbers.) One last look at Tranji was fun as well.

I also enjoyed the group numbers with the top 20. Maybe big dance routines just go down easier than the sort of treacly medleys the American Idol singers are forced to perform. Maybe the top 20 Dance finalists were simply more talented as a group than many of the failed Idols. Whatever, it was a good show, the best of the summer's reality talent contests by a mile.

It helped that I thought the right guy won (and it was always going to be a choice between the two guys). As the judges said, Travis was the more accomplished technical dancer, and I would have been pleased if he had won. But dance is also about personality, and Benji's star presence has been unmistakable from the start. He's the goofy, gangly Gene Kelly everyman to Travis' more polished, punkish Fred Astaire. And in popularity contests like Dance, the populist almost always wins. That's what happened here.

And then a reader chimes in with a suggestion for Season 3's producers:

Matt, I agree with your comments about DANCE. I also wrote a note to the producers on the SYTYCD watercooler blog:
    NOTES FOR THE PRODUCERS OF SEASON THREE:
    1. cameras need to focus on entire dancer - - - we need to see FEET along with faces! Stop with the crazy camera angles!

2. if you MUST have guest performers - - showcase other dance companies - - - not singers.

3. for the final show "compilations" it would've been great to see the top 4 (or even the top 10) from their FIRST solo audition, through Vegas, etc.

I like that America gets to vote, but the JUDGES actually decide who goes. When selecting a professional to perform, it should NOT be based only on a popularity contest.

8. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Anyway now all four of them can go get some sleep.

9. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

So which one do you think will win the coma contest? ;)

10. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Same for DWTS too!!! :mad::mad::mad:

11. Beto

Beto Active Member

Interesting. Benji's interested in acting and would pass the Celine Dion gig on to someone else if he wins (this from an interview he gave last week).

http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/...-so-you-think-you-can-dance-2-winner-4296.php

I know that he still has to meet with Mia and Celine Dion to discuss whether he'll do the show so I wonder. I figured he'd pass on it so...hmm.

From TWoP (TelevisionWithoutPity.com)

"Benji was interviewed by a reporter right after the show was done. It was on Fox News around 10:15pm last night. She asked about the Celine contract. He said he would be meeting with Mia and then with Celine. He would then watch her show and they would all decide if he would be in it. He was upbeat no matter which way it would go. She asked him about injuries. He said he lost 15 lbs. (which is showed by lifting his shirt) and said something about looking emaciated. He also said he had a ripped rotator cup, bad knees in need of surgery, hip out of socket, torn ciatic (sp.?) nerve endings, gash on the bottom of his foot and he was hospitalized 3 days ago bleeding in his throat. He was smiling and upbeat the whole interview. To think he had all these physical problems going on and still can go out and dance like its nothing is amazing."

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2017
  12. Medira

Medira New Member

Ow. Owow. Owowow!! Geez, what a list of injuries!! :shock:

13. Beto

Beto Active Member

Dancing is a contact sport. I tore a tendon (while dancing) in my left hand back in April and, while inconvenient while healing, that's nothing compared to what Benji and the others went through on the show.

14. Medira

Medira New Member

Oh, I know it's physically stressful and one of the flashiest forms of masochistic abuse I've participated in, but I'm just feeling a lot of empathy for a lot of those injuries. To have them all at the same time though...just ow!

15. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

My fondest wish for DwtS is that they'd get consistently appropriate music for the dances. I think that's something SYTYCD did much better.

I don't feel the need to have SYTYCD showcase dancers vs singers. Though what dancing showed up in the guest musical numbers didn't hold a candle to what the contestants were putting out for us!

On DwtS, the pro showcases really told you how mediocre the contestant dancing was. I mean, how can any of them hold a candle to the likes of Charlotte and Nick doing foxtrot? I still watch my clip of that piece from season 1 :)

16. Medira

Medira New Member

Me too...it's still one of my favourites. Every time though, it still pains me to hear how they maimed "Ain't No Sunshine".

17. musicchica86

musicchica86 Active Member

Has anybody else seen the Shoe Carnival commercial with some of the SYTYCD kids in it? Was on the phone with my mom when I saw it, so I didn't catch all of the quick shots, but I definitely saw Ashle (from season 2) and Artem in there, and maybe Melissa too.

Can anybody fill us in on this one?

18. Porfirio Landeros

Porfirio Landeros New Member

19. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

He's not a ballroom dancer, but a guy I saw dancing last weekend at SwingDiego (a west coast swing comp) would be perfect for it - not only did he do very good WCS (and I am sure he'll be able to do other partner dances pretty well), but he also won the cabaret division with an awesome solo modern dance routine... His name is John Snyder.