Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > So You Think You Can Dance - S7 - Week 1

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Beto, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Beto

Beto Active Member

Anyone else here *really* happy with the top 10? I know I am. :D

If I had one complaint it's that it seems contemporary dancer heavy if my notes are correct (7 spots taken) but that's a minor complaint.

2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

top 10? what'd i miss? i thought that was happening tomorrow night??? <boo>

3. Beto

Beto Active Member

Nope.

They squeezed Vegas week into 3 hours. 2 hours last Thursday and 1 hour tonight. Last hour had the phone calls and personal visits to dancers who did and did not make the Top 10.

Since you might be watching tomorrow you may be in for a bit of a surprise when you see who all made it onto the show. :p

4. RickRS

RickRS Member

Top Ten??? Hey, don't forget Billy Bell! It's the Top Eleven!

Since they got the selections over with, I'm expecting tonight's "Introducing the Top Ten" show will be a performance show to allow the dancers to show off a little, just like last season's "Introducing the Top Twenty. So people, tune in or you're going to miss it!

5. Beto

Beto Active Member

That's what I was referring to in my response to Samina. Oh well, now she knows. :D

Really loved the mindgame that Adam Shankman did with Robert and Billy when he had to announce the final guy's spot. ;)

I like how the Top 11 are people we know or saw throughout the auditions versus past seasons where people made it in and we didn't see them before Vegas or didn't see at all until the final roster got announced.

6. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

I thought the trips to people's houses part of the show was a waste of time. It was all so predictable--awkward rejections or screaming and jumping for the lucky ones.

7. AMeader

AMeader New Member

I was a little disappointed that Adrian didn't make it through; I though he was amazingly talented... hopefully he tries out next round and makes it through.

8. bia

bia Well-Known Member

I was surprised that Anthony Burrell didn't make it, based on what they had shown of him. I was flipping around a lot out of boredom with the silly home visits -- did they explain it to him at all?

Overall, it's a really good group. I'm disappointed with how contemporary-heavy it is, but I don't know of anyone I would have picked instead. At least when the contestants dance ballroom they'll be partnered with Pasha or Anya, so we may see some good ballroom routines even though there's only one partner dancer among the competitors.

9. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

I was shocked Anthony didn't make it and the only reason I can think of why he didn't is because the guys are SOOO contemp-heavy this season. There are really on 3 non-contemp dancers in the top 10...

Did we see much of Rob before he made the top 10 - he was the only one I don't remember seeing much of and I guess, based on that, would have preferred to see Anthony in the top 10.

10. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

I have no idea who made the top 10. Every time I switched to the show Nigel was on his cell phone or it was some awkward moments of families being filmed in their living room and everyone saying how nervous they were. I gave up.

No dancing to speak of except the few moments they showed excerpts of the auditions.

total.waste.of.time.

11. Beto

Beto Active Member

True. As I was making my notes I saw the same thing. Contemporary, contemporary, contemporary. Then salsa, tap and b-boy. Interesting but I wonder if the fact that contemporary dancers appear to be the best at picking up/mimicking other styles is why so many get placed into the top 10.

So far as I can recall we did not. I don't remember seeing him in the Chicago, Tennessee, Miami and NYC auditions.

Kind of agree with you there. The last hour was a lot of filler and mindgames from the judges.

The top 11 dancers are:

Cristina Santana - salsa w/belly dancing
    Lauren Froderman - jazz
    Ashley Galvan - lyrical
    Jose Ruiz - b-boying
    Melinda Sullivan - tap
    Alex Wong - ballet
    Kent Boyd - contemporary jazz
    Adéchiké Torbert - contemporary
    Alexie Agdeppa - jazz/contemporary
    Robert Rolden - contemporary
    Billy Bell - contemporary

12. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i'm peeved that i missed notification that there would be a show on wednesday night. was this announced last thursday? i don't want to be out of the loop of schedule irregularities... :(

13. RickRS

RickRS Member

Yeah, but it's an unfortunate part of "reality" programming. I actually watch the whole thing, but FF thru the commericals. Tonight I'm expecting some actual performances as the show kicks in with the selected performers.

Interested to see if the past seasons "pros" will be part of the performances tonight. If not, they will be making do with 11 dancers where last season they had 20 to introduce with a number of group performances.

14. chica latina

chica latina New Member

I was hoping Anthony would make it to the top 10... kind of disappointed that he didn't it.

Only thing I could think is that maybe his dancing is too mature for this show/audience; where voters are probably young girls...

:(

15. RickRS

RickRS Member

But, but, but, we were talking about that with in the other SYTYCD season 7 thread earlier this week

It should be Wednesday performance, Thursday result for the rest of the season. The only deviation so far was the season premier audition show, it was on Tuesday.

Whatever, last night was way too long with little dancing. I'm hoping tonight's episode makes up for it. That's tonight, samina...show on tonight! ;)

16. samina

samina Well-Known Member

alas... i am an SYTYCD chat delinquent, lolz. will have to pay more attention when i log in. ;)

yes, am very much looking forward to tonight! i dare anyone to try to take my seat in front of the telly...:cool:

17. Beto

Beto Active Member

No it's almost always been Wednesdays and Thursdays. We'll remind you each week. :D

That or maybe the judges saw something in the other dancers that gave them an edge? Or it's just the numbers game with the top 10 this season. Remember Mary's comments to Ryan Ramirez at her house? "If we were picking a top 20, I wouldn't be here right now and you'd already be in..." Paraphrased but maybe that's the case here?

Actually, SYTYCD geek that I am, I took notes while watching last night. I'd rewind or pause the TiVo for names. I know, I'm a geek. ;) I had 6 of the dancers pegged for "contemporary" but the Fox website was slightly different so I used their dance genre names.

18. TAK

TAK Member

I've only really watched one or two seasons of this show, so I could be way off, but isn't this the first season they haven't had a single international-style ballroom dancer?

Too bad they didn't show more of Serge Onik, since they mentioned that he lasted through Vegas...glad Giselle Peacock got some air time at least. And I guess Pasha and Anya will be back soon!

19. You can watch the episodes online too!
    here is a link: http://www.casttv.com/shows/so-you-think-you-can-dance

20. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Serge Onik was shown? Aw, that makes me sorry I didn't watch! He would make it worth watching.

Between
    1) No ballroom dancers,
    2) Mia every week,
    3) The top 10 w/all-stars bit...

I'm undecided about whether I'll be tuning in this season or not.

I used to love this show, but the last two seasons...meh. Just couldn't get into it.