Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > So You Think You Can Dance - S7 - Week 1

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Beto, Jun 9, 2010.

1. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Well-Known Member

IMHO, they always indirectly point out the fact that ballroom dancers have trouble with other styles.. but did you see some of the non-ballroom dancers trying to do Toni's routine during Vegas week? Granted the technique is completely foreign but they act like contemporary dancers can do it all.. Any ballroom or latin routines these dancers do won't be worth watching.

2. Beto

Beto Active Member

They say the same about salsa dancers and that irks me. Nigel's comments to Cristina, specifically.

I forget which season it was but someone here on Dance Forums made a point that contemporary dancers were more likely to or adept at picking up other styles. I think that comment, or comments like it, created a bit of a backlash since some ballroom people thumb their noses at "rolling around on the ground." ;-)

With Pasha and Anya on the show I am hopeful that's not the case. If anything it *should* be more watchable than what I've seen on DwtS.

3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

no probs, beto. i'm with the program now! :)

say, i noticed they almost completely glanced over iveta lukosiute in the audition episodes. did they ever highlight her in any way on the episode i missed? when i saw that she had made it to vegas but was being ignored on the show, i was pretty sure that meant a no-go for her. :(

4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

5. TAK

TAK Member

That's right! I completely forgot that they had shown her. No, she was not highlighted at all.

You didn't miss much. They showed him for a few seconds. He helped out this one woman who needed to re-do her Latin routine. Then they mentioned yesterday that Nigel had called him with bad news, which means that he'd made it all the way to the end, I guess.

6. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

No, it's run to one end of the stage, flail your arms, start to spin, fall to the ground, pick yourself up in some odd way, run to the other end of the stage, flail your arms, start to spin, then fall to the ground, lather rinse repeat. :)

For some reason the DVR thought it was without power today, and I got off work 2 hours late, so missed tonight's episode. Just glad I managed to get the stupid home visits last night. After all, I do enjoy the fake, "Sorry, you suck, you won't be there for...... watching us on tv at home!!":rolleyes:

7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

wow... stupefied by the brilliant choreo & dancing. how will they ever pick. should be an interesting season...

8. chica latina

chica latina New Member

Maybe dancers in other style spend a lot of their time learning new choreographies than ballroom dancers, who focus on improving choreography in hand to master it for competition..

It was a good show... not sure how I felt with the ballroom number.. great number but too showy for me, I think I prefer classic ballroom dancing.. maybe will happen when it's a couple instead of 3 people.

Happy to see some of the old dancers and love the number that opened the show!

9. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

That "ballroom" number was soooo awkward! Why didn't they just have Christina salsa/mambo dancing with Pasha? As it was, it looked messy and odd... It's a partner dance, not a 3-person dance.

Loved the other routines, especially the first contemp number by Travis and the NappyTabs hip-hop.

10. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

You forgot "whip your head around, flinging your hair hard enough you ought to snap something."

11. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Very true. That's the standard female alternative move. Come to think of it, it appears that lyrical/contemporary/jazz dancers have a syllabus just like ballroom! :p

12. BrownSkin818

BrownSkin818 New Member

I'm tuned in! Looking forward to the season.

The only person that really piqued my early interest apparently had a conflict and couldn't make it for Vegas week. Ida Saki :(

Of the Top 11, I get huge feel good vibes from Adechike, Alexie and Wapakoneta boy (Kent). So they're early favorites. I think talent-wise, Alex Wong is my favorite. And I'll be keeping an eye on Cristina because she's a local salsera (Yay LA!).

I loved the opening group number. Most of the others fell a bit flat for me. I didn't think the contestant/all-star pairing worked well in groups. I found myself distracted in trying to pinpoint who was who, and watch accordingly.

As someone already mentioned, the ballroom 3some was a flop. Cristina unfortunately looked like an extra in the Anya and Pasha show. Much of the other choreo was rather dull. I was especially disappointed in Mia's piece for Billy, Alex, and Ade. Didn't showcase them well, imho.

And then Sonya's piece got me thinking about how the choreographers are tasked to display the contestants versus the all stars. She gave Neil an awesome feature (which he KILLED!) but then I looked forward to seeing the actual contestants get to strut.... and that didnt happen. Even though we've got all stars, I really hope the show minimizes them a bit more. I'm tuning in to watch the Top 11 compete, not to watch the Tour. :)

13. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Was happy to see that my bedroom DVR caught the episode last night and I got to watch it before I went to sleep last night. As for the all-stars, I guess it goes to show how forgettable Season 6 was because I can't for the life of me remember the woman that I think danced in the routine with all-star Mark and the farmboy.
    So far I'm liking most of the top 11.
    Also agree with above, that I didn't like Sonja emphasizing Neil instead of the competitors.
    Wondering will they always have MF partnerships for the competition, or since it's "all-stars" will they sometimes pair MM or FF?