Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > So You Think You Can Dance - S7 - Week 2

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by wooh, Jun 16, 2010.

1. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

SYTYCD 7, Week 1 of competition

Alex Wong is AMAZING. (Do a search for him on youtube, he's super cute doing Single Ladies! And there's "real" stuff he's done that's just breathtaking.) But the choreo Sonja gave him SUCKED, no matter how much the judges loved it. But then again, I really get tired of Sonja's twitching choreography.
    The show's really kind of boring tonight, at least so far.

2. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, and that cover of "Addicted to Love" that Travis Wall used? That was atrocious.
    And HATED the "broadway" choreography for Footloose.
    And the sound mixing is annoying, too much screaming crowd noise coming through.
    I'm so negative tonight.

3. BrownSkin818

BrownSkin818 New Member

GOOD SHOW!!!!

1. Billy & Lauren. Footloose locker piece by Tyce

2. Cristina & Mark. Snake piece by Sonya

3. Jose & Comfort. NappyTabs hip hop

4. Adechike & Catherine. Office piece by Travis

5. Melinda & Pasha. Jive by Tony & Meredith

6. Alex & Allison. Contemporary by Sonya

7. Alexie & Twitch. Nappytabs window piece

8. Lauren & Ade. Mandy Moore popjazz with the couch

9. Kent & Anya. Cha Cha

10. Ashley & Neil. Tyce contemporary

11. Robert & Courtney. Afrojazz by Cheeseman

I agreed with almost everything the judges said. The one exception was their praise for Cristina in that "snake" routine with Mark. I didn't care for it at all. :( One of the judges commented that it was a Mark & Sonya piece (agree), but they still thought Cristina did well with it (disagree).

I absolutely ADORE Kent. He is most definitely my favorite to win it all and I feel odd saying so because it should be too early to be falling for him already. But it's impossible not to smile at and laugh with him. That cha cha routine was tops of the night for me.

Alex Wong is a beast. And Allison matched him toe to toe. Very impressed with their performance. I only wish they'd had a different choreographer. There's gonna be bigger things to come from him, I'm sure of it. Get him a Travis routine and that'll be all she wrote.

Some really great material with the choreographers overall. The poses and transitions get more and more creative and difficult each season. Seeing the new tricks is always a highlight for me.

The whole LIVE thing is working out okay, but is unnecessary. Some of the camera shots and angle switches are horrible. The opening intro of the dances was the pits.

Anywho.... I can't pick a bottom 3. Mine is a bottom 5. Cristina, Adechike, Melinda, Alexie, and Ashley. Yikes! Guess I don't like the girls much this season. Although now that I think about, I've thought the girls have been weaker than the guys for quite a few seasons now. :confused:

Any other thoughts? Who else is tuned in? :)

4. BrownSkin818

BrownSkin818 New Member

Whoops! I was threading as you were threading. Can the mods please combine?

5. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Si! Por favor!

6. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Kent was super cute.

The all star thing is bothering me, and I think that's a large part of my annoyance. Most of the people they brought back (exceptions being Mark, Ade, Pasha and Anya) are the ones that annoyed me in their respective seasons. And Mark is just too Mark, he draws attention away from the competitor.
    The choreographers are getting a bit stale too when they end up with 2 routines a week for season after season. NappyTabs routines all start looking alike. TastyOreo routines all start looking alike. Sonja routines are all twitchy. Wade Robson routines are always zombie-ish. (With the exception of a few, of course.) I'm sure to non-ballroom dancers, Tony and Melanie routines all start looking alike.
    I think it's just getting a bit stale, and the "all-star" trick wasn't the answer, since it just brought back even more of the old.

Speaking of choreographers, the African Jazz routine was lovely. Probably because I'm not tired of that choreographer.

7. ballroomdancertoo

ballroomdancertoo Well-Known Member

is there anyway i can see the contemporary the the canadian guy did? I only got the judges saying it was the most interesting number or something like that.

8. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

I thought the camera work/direction was terrible, too. The previous seasons, the cameras did a better job of following the 'story' of the dances. Did anyone notice the disclaimer at the end that said some of the performances were pre-recorded?

9. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

Alex is otherworldly. 'Nuff said.

Kent is a close second because his personality is addictive. He's ridiculously cute, mostly because he comes off as not trying to be so. Very genuine and adorable!

I voted for both of them and they are my top 2. The girls are nowhere near the guys this season, unfortunately. I did like the way Ashley danced and I loved that routine. BUT, it *was* her style... I was a fan of Melinda, still am, so I was disappointed by her jive routine.

10. TAK

TAK Member

Totally agree!! Have to go with Alex because he's RIDICULOUS, but Kent for personality, and he's not a bad dancer either.

Doesn't Kent look like Adam Shankman??? Come on. Tell me you see it too!

11. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

I loved last night's show! Sonya's choreography is incredible this season!

12. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Well-Known Member

Alex is amazing and Sonja is a brilliant choreographer. I could understand saying it didn't move you as much as it did others or it just wasn't your taste but it certainly didn't suck. Surely that opinion could have been better articulated.

The snake routine didn't do it for me. I actually can't remember anything except Alex's.

13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i forgot about SYTYCD showing on wednesdays...:rolleyes:

have been trying for half an hour to find a place that shows a full episode online, but they all seem to be marketing sites with affiliat links and nothing real.

any helpful input from anyone before i give up and just accept i missed everyone's first competitive performances???

14. BrownSkin818

BrownSkin818 New Member

15. samina

samina Well-Known Member

have you watched an episode there yourself?

i already tried many times to view it thru that link. required signing up for a free "pushplay" membership with a credit card, and once in the member area, there are no tv episodes available to watch, only DVDs...

16. samina

samina Well-Known Member

oh, never mind... i figured it out. tricky. they tell you click on the quality, and that's when it goes to the pushplay site... but if you bypass that and just select the arrow, it appears to start.

17. ash_sk8s

ash_sk8s Member

That is tricky! Thanks for posting how you figured it out! :)

18. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Horrible interpretation of the song. Great dancing of what they were given. Sonja has had some brilliant pieces, when she chooses music that suits her choreography style. This song didn't suit her choreography. Waste of a great song and great dancers. And thus, in my opinion, it sucked.

19. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i was quite gobsmacked that the little cutie was axed tonight. thought for sure the decision would be unanymously for the tap dancer to go.

and the mysterious "problem with her feet"... it's her training and the style she dances, hunched over her pelvis. she's not used to aligning and moving dynamically with her pelvis forward, which means she doesn't have the training as yet to rotate from the hip out enough to avoid the pigeon-toed effect. i know it well (and what a big deal it is to correct) in my own body.

anyway... gobsmacked still...

20. chica latina

chica latina New Member

I thought Alex was the best.. only one that made me watch him instead of the "expert" in the style.

I would have thought Adechike should have been in bottom 3 instead of Cristina, eventhough I was not a great fan of her snake interpretation.

I agree that I would have had Melinda go, but I guess they have more contemporary than tap dancers, so they are giving her another opportunity.