Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > So You Think You Can Dance - S7 - Week 3

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Beto, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Beto

Beto Active Member

SPOILERS for tonight. This list of dance style, partner selection and choreographer is incomplete so if you want to be surprised tonight please hit the back button now.

-
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -

Source: http://www.sytycdism.com/2010/06/22/spoilers-sytycd7-top-10-performances/

Billy & Comfort – Krump – Lil’ C
    Alex & Lauren – Broadway – Tyce Diorio
    Ashley & Mark – Jazz – Travis Wall
    Kent & Courtney – Jazz – Tyce Diorio
    Adechike & Allison – Contemporary – Mandy Moore
    Melinda & Neil/Ade – Contemporary – Stacey Tookey
    Cristina & Pasha – Paso Doble – Jean Marc Generaux
    Lauren & Neil/Dominic/Ade – ? – Tessandra Chavez
    Robert & Anya/Kathryn
    Jose & Kathryn/Anya

2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

<<i will not forget i will not forget i will not forget i will not forget...>>

3. RickRS

RickRS Member

Hope Samina didn't forget.

All the performances were solid and enjoyable. None really towered over the rest, but Cristina's Paso Doble certainly got the night going. Billy's Krump seem to be off to the judges, but like his Footloose performance from last week that seem to draw the same reaction, I couldn't understand what they saw that was so wrong.

4. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

Well, what was wrong was that Billy and Comfort looked like they were dancing completely different styles... Where everything Comfort did was short and staccato, Billy's movements were too "long" and flowy for krump (heck, even for a non-NappyTabs hip-hop routines).

I really loved the paso; I thought Cristina was fabulous! I thought it was one of the best ballroom performances on the SYTYCD. The paso and Ashley's jazz/modern were my favorite routines of the night.

Jose did MUCH better with Bollywood than I thought he would. He really is VERY talented!

The weakest, for me, right now are Adechike and Melinda. I thought the judges comments on him were right on and that makes it two weeks in a row where he didn't wow. As for Melinda (whom I initally really liked), their comments were way off - what she was given was pretty easy and she didn't even excell at that. yeah her lines are good, *for a tapper* but her partner literally and figuratively "carried" her in that routine.

I also am not a big fan of Lauren. She reminds me of last season's Molly: immature and one-dimensional. I think the way she was acting after her performance last night was sooo fake! Just to make the judges think she took their comments last week and applied them... Whatever, it looked fake, fake, fake!:)

So my favorites are still Kent, Alex and Ashley. And Cristina's paso has put her closer to the top too. Robert is up there too - I thought he did better AT than the judges (besides Nigel) gave him credit for. So far, that is my top 5. Jose is in 6th:)

5. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i felt the same! i was just so impressed with her frame and stance... it's hard enough for a trained ballroomer to get it, and thought she really nailed it, especially considering latin isn't her specialty.

i dunno... i was disappointed. thought billy did a better krump than jose did at bollywood. thought the judges' responses to those two efforts were... oddly inconsistent with each other.

jose was adorable but... goofy. whereas at least billy put a lot of energy into his choreo to be super-sharp (despite the length...)

melinda very much surprised me. she is the opposite of adechike, very connected with hear heart in her dancing, and i was impressed by her lines as well.

my vote to go: adechike. needs a couple years to age in the barrel.

6. BrownSkin818

BrownSkin818 New Member

Lackluster episode for me. I was looking for a couple of routines to really stand out from the others, but none did. I thought they were all solid though. Favorites by a slim margin were Jose's bollywood and Alex's broadway.

Personality-wise, I'm a little bummed with Kent. Up til last night, I felt his simpleness was genuine, but now I'm not so sure. It felt played up last night.

I'm also disheartened to admit that I apparently just don't like Cristina. Everyone raved about her paso performance but I wasn't feeling it. I'm supposed to cheer for her... she's another SoCal salsera. But I just can't shake my dislike for her. And I know why, but I can't confess it.

Melinda had a good run last night, but I still dislike her. She reminds me of all-star Kathryn with that sort of annoying voice and disposition.

Other random notes: That tree dress was hideous. I felt so bad for Travis when they criticized him. And those opening childhood packets on the dancers turned out to be very weak fluff.

Eh. Bottom 3 prediction - Adechike, Ashley, and...? maybe Melinda
    Adechike should go.

7. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

I also thought they over-praised Melinda. It seemed to me that she lost focus/character between all the big steps/moves, something they criticized better dancers for. I think they are trying to avoid an all contemporary/ballet cast.

I voted some for Cristina. Don't want to lose the only near-ballroomer on the show.

8. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

The lifts in all the routines except for the Travis Wall piece were messy. Huge pet peeve of mine is tricks that don't "just happen." And the paso to me was the worst offender for that. I just wasn't much into the choreo of it, and I tend to like Jean-Paul's choreography usually.
    Really liked Travis Wall's choreography, and thought it was crap that they call Travis on his "jazz" being too "contemporary" when TastyOreo's choreography tends to always blur the lines.
    Was really surprised by Melinda's compliments on her lines. I was watching thinking they never went quite far enough.
    Alex may have not totally had the Fosse look, but he made Lauren look BAD.
    Love Alex, Billy was horrendous but he tried hard, the Kent piece was just weird. Robert, not horrible, but then again, I'm so used to DWTS AT that I might have been judging it on "ballroom dancer with celeb who's done a lot of dancing" standards instead of "ballroom dancer with accomplished other kind of dancer" standards. Melinda, just don't like her, I think of the show being for dancers, the semi-anonymous folks of the entertainment world, not for people that want to be entertainers in any way they can get their face out there.
    I think the judges are going to quickly start skewing things to keep it from being all-male and all-contemporary.

9. barrefly

barrefly New Member

Lol....thankyou wooh, for keeping me sane.

10. Beto

Beto Active Member

I'm kind of shocked that Adechike and Melinda are still in this comp. If we lose Jose and Melinda then we'll have an all contemporary/lyrical/ballet top 7. :|

Hope that's not the case and that Jose lasts for a while. Melinda, hmm, not really a fan of her because of the personality that we see on stage. Can't believe that Nigel got out-voted on her last night as he wanted her gone. I did too.

That said, I *am* glad that Robert's still in the comp. Would've been a major bummer to see him go.

11. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

I was surprised Nygel was the vote against Melinda. Going in, I figured he'd want to keep her since he seems to be the one with the tap love affair. (I like good tap. Melinda's is just weird to me.)
    I'd love to see all guys left. The guys are just way more talented.

12. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i don't care for melinda's tapping... it seems awkward to my eyes. just not feelin' it.

was very sorry to see christina go home. :(

tho i think they chose right to keep robert... the kid sure danced for his life!

13. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

I was very sorry to see Cristina go. I thought her paso was the best woman's performance on the show.

14. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

It finally dawned on me one reason why they instituted the all-stars: so they wouldn't have to have gender-balanced eliminations. Remember, before, they had to keep even numbers of male and female competitors in order to partner them together. Now, they don't have to worry about that - they just call upon the needed all-stars.

Still, I agree, wooh. I would much rather see a diversity of contestants, both in gender and styles. This season's women seem unfortunately weak, though. I was disappointed in Cristina. Her paso doble was great, yet her solo was very lacking. Salsa is the one partner dance that has a solid repertoire of solo steps (shines), yet Cristina didn't make much use of them.

15. BrownSkin818

BrownSkin818 New Member

Hmmm... so I wasn't alone in not liking Cristina's paso. As much as it was raved about, I thought she would have been safe. Oh well. Either she or Melinda could have taken the ax and I'd have been fine with it. I did think it was extra sh!tty of Melinda not to give Cristina a hug as she left the stage though.

16. Casayoto

Casayoto Member

I didn't like the Paso much either. I'm not really sure why, both of my roommates really liked it, but it just didn't do it for me. I still think it should have been Adechike's week to go.

17. Mengu

Mengu Well-Known Member

I just got around to watching last week's results. I was in agreement with america for the bottom 3. I really dislike Melinda, I think she should have been the one to go, so I was with Nigel there, america doesn't like her, kick her out. I don't know what the judges see in her lines. I think her legs are a mess and she doesn't have much control compared to the rest of the dancers. I wasn't even fond of the tap solo she did, not that I know much about tap. I didn't like Christina's Paso all that much either, but thought was better than anything Melinda does. Robert's AT was also over hyped by the judges. It was okay when he was standing in place, any time he took a step, I cringed. Fortunately the choreography didn't require him to walk around much.

I'm hoping Melinda is in bottom three again next week, judges aren't going to save her again. Lauren is the only girl I wouldn't mind seeing in top 4, the other 3 should be guys.

18. I can't believe I haven't been able to watch SYTYCD this season. I've just been soooo busy. I've been catching up with online episodes for the last two weeks and I finallyyyyyy am up date. It was SO tempted to open these threads for spoilers.

I'm not going to bore you guys with my comments but I have to say that I was very upset Christina left during this particular week's show :( Melinda should have so gone home...