Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > So You Think You Can Dance - S7 - Week 4

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Beto, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Beto

Beto Active Member

SPOILERS for tonight. This list of dance style, partner selection and choreographer is incomplete so if you want to be surprised tonight please hit the back button now.

-
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -

Source: http://www.sytycdism.com/2010/06/29/sytycd7-top-9-performances-spoilers/#cut-1

Adechike & Lauren G. – Hip Hop – Dave Scott
    Billy & Kathryn – Contemporary – Stacey Tookey
    Ashley & Ade – Contemporary – Dee Caspary
    Lauren F. & Neil – Broadway – Joey Dowling
    Melinda & Pasha – Salsa – Fabian Sanchez
    Alex & Twitch – Hip Hop – Nappy Tabs
    Jose & Anya – Samba – Dmitry Chaplin
    Kent & Allison/Courtney/Comfort – Jazz – ?
    Robert & Allison/Courtney/Comfort – ? – ?

2. Beto

Beto Active Member

I'm pretty happy to see Fabian Sanchez's name up there but somewhat annoyed that Melinda is paired with Pasha again. If she doesn't sell this then she's going home.

3. Beto

Beto Active Member

Thoughts on tonight's show in order of performance:

Adechike & Lauren G. – Hip Hop – Nice to see Mr. Personality make his appearance. Took ya long enough!
    Ashley & Ade – Contemporary – Really liked this routine!
    Robert & Courtney - Jazz - Not bad. Liked it. Definitely saw a little bit of Allstar Mark in Robert but then again this was a Sonya Tayeh piece.
    Melinda & Pasha – Salsa – Why are you still here? Mia said it was a mistake to send Cristina home and Adam agreed. Time for Melinda to go.
    Lauren F. & Neil – Broadway – I actually wrote "I'm bored" in my notes. Nothing against Lauren but I expected more from her in this routine.
    Billy & Kathryn – Contemporary – Maybe it was the song that I connected to, or Kathryn, but I liked this one more than the judges' did.
    Jose & Anya – Samba – I think he did okay but the song choice robbed the routine of its energy for me.
    Kent & Allison - Jazz - Agree with the judges' that this wasn't Kent's best work. I'm glad they called him out on his faking.
    Alex & Twitch – Hip Hop - OMG are you kidding me?! A ballet dancer just rocked a hip hop routine. BEST ROUTINE OF THE NIGHT!!!

Predictions for bottom 3: Melinda, Lauren, Jose (I think he'll be safe).

4. barrefly

barrefly New Member

First time I've watched this season. I had a lot to say, but I deleted it.
    After seeing Alex, Missy want's to be on the show. Thank God she has a
    few years before deciding. (She doesn't believe that Alex has never danced
    hiphop.) He was awesome.
    I'm thinking that the best choreo is by the show's producers with the dancers
    they selected.

5. RickRS

RickRS Member

For me, Adechike's and Alex's were the two best performances.

Big breakthro for Adechike. In that one number, finally, he looked like a dancer that could go to the finals.

After Adechike's performance everybody elses just didn't have the same sense of fun, personality, energy, etc. That is, until Alex. That guy will win it all!

In the lead up, Cat and the judges acted like two guys dancing was the kiss of death... Oh, come on! Guys only or girls only dancing hip-hop is common as dirt, as it's not a partners dance. What was impressive was how Alex held his own on-stage with Twitch in a dance form that Twitch truly is a master of.

6. chica latina

chica latina New Member

could not watch it last night... since I decided to go to the movies to see Eclipse ;). Now I'm really anxious of getting home to watch Adechike and Alex..

I thought that Melinda should have left last show.. I'll be surprised if she's not the one leaving tonight, based on your comments.

By the way, so previous for the new movie STEP UP in 3D, is going to be AMAZING

7. Mengu

Mengu Well-Known Member

I liked Alex and Ashley last night. I also liked Kathryn, I know, Billy was the one I was supposed to be watching, but I liked Kathryn. Everything else seemed average, except Melinda who as usual, I don't think should have been there in the top 10.

I actually picked up the phone to vote for Lauren. She really had a bad night, I think she's a much better dancer than that. I'd hate to see her in the bottom three and it might happen with that performance despite the wardrobe malfunction and the judges comments.

I wish the judges hadn't said what they did about Melinda. I think she's now going to get a bunch of sympathy votes after what they said. If I could anti-vote for someone, it would be her.

8. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

Agreed: Ashley and Alex stole the show for me too, with Alex stealing just a little bit more of it... Are you kidding me?! Who IS this guy?! I so look forward to seeing him do ballroom now, especially with Anya. I want to be shocked again like I was yesterday:)

Melinda should have gone last week so Cristina could do justice to the mambo:( She is NOT good enough for the top 10, even though I liked her in the auditions... I think Alexie is a way better dancer and she was sent home two weeks ago!

9. Beto

Beto Active Member

Ditto. Between the beautiful Christina Perri song and Kathryn, my focus was pretty much off of Billy.

Good point about Lauren. I hadn't considered that. She's not a favorite of mine yet among the girls still in this comp and so my worry now is that Robert or Jose will get sent home if the votes do get shifted to Melinda. :neutral:

Agreed! I think I now have a favorite in Alex. I was usually impressed with him before but now he has completely blown my mind. I think I know who I want to win this season. :D

In total agreement with you. At least the judges admitted that they made a mistake sending Cristina home. I thought as executive producer that Nigel would have the final say if two other judges opposed him but I guess that's not the case.

10. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

Alex was AMAZING! Twitch is superb, so clean, so fast, so sharp, and Alex KEPT UP
    with him!! Wow!!
    I can't wait to see him do latin!

11. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Just now watching the performances tonight.
    Adechike was stinking cute! Loved him! (I don't know if it's because he's on less often, but I tend to like Dave Scott's choreography more than the other hiphop choreographers.) And Adechike's solo was beautiful.
    Ashley- They say they want to see her do something different, and yet we all know that the partnerships and dances are set up by the producers, and they keep giving her contemporary (and are already repeating partnerships and poor Pasha has been stuck with Melinda twice.)
    Robert- I've seen it before, in pretty much every Sonyah piece. It suited him, but all I can think is "Mark would've done it better." Liked his solo though.
    Melinda- The world agrees, why on earth did you keep her? Because the world needed another odd tap dance to a song that the tapping doesn't at all fit? It's like she doesn't finish anything. It's beat1 stop beat2 stop, there's no connection in her own dancing, much less connecting to Pasha.

12. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Lauren- Have to agree, I was bored. Her solo was the typical contemporary solo, although I give her props for making sure to throw in the "kick out a flexed foot."
    Billy- Pretty much agree with the judges, he's a genetic mutant but he's got to be more "real." His solo, he's a genetic mutant.
    Jose- Was good as long as you only looked at Anya. But he is adorable.
    Kent- He's cute, but Allison was more masculine than him. Same for his solo. :)

13. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Alex gets his own post. His solo, amazing. He's just the most absolute beautiful thing on this planet.
    Alex and Twitch, as bored as I am with NappyTabs, that was AMAZING choreography, very cute, perfect for the two of them. I'd have probably been more surprised if I hadn't seen the videos on youtube of Alex and the other Miami ballet guy doing "Single Ladies." Even so, oh my goodness gracious. I actually almost got a bit teary eyed watching hiphop! If he doesn't win the whole thing, then the world is stupid. He's an amazing dancer and he's too adorable at the same time.

14. Beto

Beto Active Member

So, last night's results show. Finally! For all of Nigel's praise about Melinda's tapping I still think B-Girl Sara Von Gillern (season 3) is the more talented tapper and dancer. Shame that SYTYCD made no mention of her tap background. That or she chose not to highlight that particular skill, seen below, in her bio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q81VBrWV83U

As usual I was pressed for time when watching this morning before work so I FF'd through the guest performances. However, did anyone else catch Nigel and Cat's discussion about the format change for next week?

First, the contestants will be partnered up with an AllStar that they have not danced with before. Secondly, the contestants will partner up with a fellow contestant.

Interesting. Half Pro/Am format, half old show format. I'm curious to see how this will go.

15. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Well-Known Member

Who went home?

16. jjs914

jjs914 Active Member

Melinda went home.

17. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Well-Known Member

I was wondering how she even got in, I wasn't impressed by her tap dancing, and much less anything else she did.

18. Beto

Beto Active Member

At best I think Melinda was Top 20 material and not Top 10. I guess even the producers can make mistakes.

19. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i <3 alex!

20. dancedanceevolution

dancedanceevolution New Member

Does anyone else find it more than a little unfair that Robert keeps winding up in the bottom three? I think he is a MARVELOUS dancer, in spite of being a bit of a camera hog. What I'm getting from this show is that a cute smile and an ability to "fake it" is worth more to the judges than actual talent. Even tho Robert does have a cute smile. :)