Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > So You Think You Can Dance - S7 - Week 7

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Beto, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Beto

Beto Active Member

Source: http://www.sytycdism.com/2010/07/21/spoilers-sytycd7-top-6-performances/#cut-1

SPOILERS for tonight.
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -

Spoilers: SYTYCD7 Top 6 Performances

Submitted by SYTYCDism on July 21, 2010 – 11:08 am

There really isn’t a lot of information under this cut, but we thought we’d share it anyways!

General spoilers:

- Dmitry Chaplin choreographing samba and paso doble this week.

Robert & Lauren G. – Jazz/Broadway – Tyce Diorio
    Jose & Allison – Contemporary – Sonya Tayeh

*** Billy Bell has suffered a knee injury, will not be dancing tonight! ***

2. dancedanceevolution

dancedanceevolution New Member

SERIOUSLY?!?! Billy is injured now? I never watched the show before this season- is it always this plagued with injuries???? A winner is going to be chosen more by fate than by the veiwers...

3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

interresting...

4. RickRS

RickRS Member

I think there was only one or two injuries of the top twenty after the contest started in all the past seasons. This is very unusual, having three injuries in three weeks.

5. Beto

Beto Active Member

Nigel made a comment about bringing some people in to see what they're doing wrong and why so many injuries are happening. I wonder if there's any point in watching tonight's results show. If it's anything like the past 2 weeks then Billy is going home. :|

6. katherinejh

katherinejh Member

I was not impressed by the paso broble. I wanted to be, but no.

7. Beto

Beto Active Member

Ditto. I expected so much more from those two. Judges' comments were right on.

8. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

I thought I heard Nigel say that the doctors said he would have been able to dance last night but it was up to him and how he felt and that he will be able to dance next week. Hopefully, I heard correctly and this week will be different.

9. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

First, I think Billy Bell SHOULD go home, injury or not. He's been in the bottom two twice in two weeks already so if he goes home, he can't really blame the injury. The guy is awesome technically but performance-wise, just isn't impressive. He doesn't connect well with partners and is a soloist-only.

Second, I don't need an expert to tell me what's wrong with all the injuries: these dancers are extremely overtaxed given that it's a top 10 (not top 20) and they've been going a lot harder for a lot longer than any previous seasons' contestants. Bodies give out, period.

Third, I hope Robert wins (although I'd be OK with Kent too) but I am certainly coming around to Lauren. She's been very impressive lately and yesterday, IMO, showed up Twitch in hip-hop, a VERY difficult feat! So here's to the one girl who's still standing!

10. dancedanceevolution

dancedanceevolution New Member

I agree, Ithink- Robert is a wonderful solo dancer AND partner, and he's done well in every style so far (weeeeelll, except for disco- like the judges said- NEVER DO THAT AGAIN!). I thought he got a bad rap for the Argentine Tango with Anya. I do think he's gotten lucky so far, always getting to do contemporary or jazz. I wonder how he would cope with crunk or hip hop? :D

Kent is cute and talented, but I keep waiting for him to have a "manly" performance.

I'm not picking a favorite, however- why ask to be disappointed?

11. chica latina

chica latina New Member

This was so unexpected!! no elimination. One part of me thought it was not fair, but I guess it doesn't really hurt anyone. I still think Jose should have gone home. I was surprised that Billy didn't get to do a Solo... but then I noticed that at the end (when they were celebrating), that he seem to limp some and avoid putting weight on one leg.

I dont like Kent that much, dont understand why everyone says he's the one to be. Too feminine for me, dont think his performances are honest and haven't really since that much difference in characterization. I dont think he overdanced Kathryn and not sure why he got praised so much in the Step routine, he seem to me to be cheerleading it next to Twitch...

Maybe I'm not being objective since I dont get why is he being praised so much.

12. Just watched the episode.

Is just me or is anyone else with me in feeling like that Samba was HORRIBLE. Yes, Paso was seriously disappointing too. I really liked that edge of the stage dance. I didn't feel Robert and Lauren were "hot" at all and in fact, didn't feel any connection between them. I did however feel that Robert danced it VERY well.

I agree with everyone that at first, I was kind of like meh...with Lauren. She reminded me too much of Molly. And eventhough I didn't like her Samba that much, I really think she has grown and matured a lot as a dancer.

I feel whatever about Billy/his injury/not being eliminated - I have heard some people say that it's not fair that he "chose" not to dance and that other dancers would have killed for the opportunity but I definitely think that a person knows his body best. So, if he felt he was unfit, there was no reason for him to force himself to dance.

13. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Given that I don't latin, and that I feel like I have a lot in common with the champion bull riding contestant they had on DWTS, I have to say that when I watch most "latin" dances like samba, I'm a bit put off by the "hippiness". I didn't feel that way watching Robert. So, I concluded there was something missing in his performance.
    Just my uninformed opinion!

14. Mengu

Mengu Well-Known Member

I liked Lauren from the first few weeks, thought she was the only worthy girl, and am glad she made it this far, at this point, she has become my favorite.

I am still not sold on Robert. I'm waiting for him to surprise me. He hasn't yet. His solos are very predictable, and his dancing in general shows too much preparation for whatever he is getting ready to do. His performance isn't grabbing me either, but honestly, this week, no one's did.

I've come to expect less when it comes to ballroom, and the samba wasn't too bad of an eye sore. There is something about ballroom dances that destroys the way contemporary dancers dance. It's like they forget how to step into a break, how to walk, and how to hold their core. They have such good postures when they are spinning, but you give them a bit of alien choreography, and they forget how to stand. I have a difficult time grasping what goes wrong.