So You Think You Can Dance Season 10

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Yanou, May 14, 2013.

1. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Active Member

I'm surprised no one's commented on Jenna Johnson and her partner Landon yet...aside from their paddle turns and a final lift that didn't quite look like it belonged in a cha cha, I thought their performance was stellar! No clue if she'll make it through Vegas, but stellar ballroom dancing nonetheless.
  2. leee

leee Active Member

I have a new post up, though for its length, I don't talk much about class (though I'll probably revisit it during the competition part gets under way and people are complaining about the hip-hoppers, as always happens), but about ethics and such.
  3. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

leee, that link doesn't work.

Meanwhile, I'm continuing to love this show. Other than the Jive, which even I could tell was not so good, I enjoyed most of the performances.
    So far, at least, Sonja has pretty much entertained me with her choreo, alhough I have to admit, I wasn't entirely riveted during the entire numbers.
    And I have to say that African/Jazz is better than no African.

So, is ANYONE out there watching?
  4. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

I agree, that Jive was "eh" at best. Thankfully the routines after that were better, though I wish the judges would reserve their standing ovations for truly exceptional routines. Shades of giving "10"s on DWTS to imperfect performances. I have to comment that I absolutely hate the "diaper pants". With dancers, you want to SEE their movement, and not keep thinking Whoa, that dude has a load in his pants. Ridiculous.

Kinda annoyed with the guest judge's stammering, but he did do a dead-on Lil C imitation.
  5. leee

leee Active Member

I though I licked my problem of having two left feet, but my inelegance seems to have simply moved into my fingers, i.e. a stray bracket in the link was sending you to a non-existent page: http://tybe.blogspot.com/2013/06/so-you-think-you-can-dance-10x06-vegas.html

I, certainly, am still watching. Unremarkable first episode -- I like the number that concludes the night (Fik-Shun and Amy for Sonya) a lot, and the opening group number was thrilling.
  6. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

uh.... what? o_O:jawdrop:

Elimination at the BEGINNING of the show, before the dancers have performed?
    And then they perform anyway, but you can't vote for them. Several times it was mentioned by the judges that the dress-rehearsal was less than stellar, but the final performance blew it out of the park. So why not give them that opportunity?

I can go along with announcing the bottom 3 at the beginning. Might give them a kick in the butt to really dance for their life, which several did not in their solos.

Ehhhh.
  7. Steve Pastor

One of my favorite moments last night was when Nigel said that he wanted the dances to be more like Dancing with the Stars when there wasn't enough cha cha in a number that was supposed to be a cha cha. But then the DWTS fans seem to be complaining about the same thing.
    Still, I'm guessing the choreographers will take note.

And, How come I never saw this before?
  8. bia

bia Active Member

Yes, I noticed that, both for the DWTS amusement but also for the point. If the judges mean it, though, they need to be consistent. I didn't hear anyone say the same thing about last week's Viennese, which was pretty much only Viennese by virtue of the music (but very pretty). They were in frame for maybe a measure in that dance. Which I understand from the choreographers, because as great as these dancers are, they tend to look awful in frame. In the cha cha, like Nigel, I noticed that the guy wasn't given a whole lot of cha, but I don't care particularly -- I'm quite enjoying this season and think the dancers are very good. Nigel is completely within his rights to care, but if he does, again, he should be consistent. (Maybe he's more comfortable criticizing Dmitry than Jason Gillickson?)
  9. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

Can you believe they kicked people off at the top of the show, then made them perform?? That is just wrong!
  10. Steve Pastor

Whatever the field of endeavor, stomping off in a huff when things don't go your way is not a good long term strategy.

If you practiced a routine all week would you really not want to take advantage of the chance to perform on a broadcast seen across the country?

And who would your partner perform with?
    SDsalsaguy and Mr 4 styles like this.
  11. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

agree with steve like the format for a single day show that is
  12. duffypratt

duffypratt Member

Nigel said that last night because Jenna is a ballroom dancer, and actually could have performed a cha cha at a high level. Or course, that kind of choreography would have exposed her partner even more and he would have definitely faced elimination. (Now its only probably). So, should the choreographers make a routine that make the dancers look good (and the choreographers), or should they make a routine that is true to the style but looks terrible? With the Viennese Waltz last week, a real waltz would have made both dancers look terrible, and the show look bad, so they cover up the obvious weaknesses, and Nigel says nothing. Here, he complains more because it was a chance really to show Jenna off, and they obviously want her to stay around for a long time. Also, the complaints are especially weak since the show basically invented the "lyrical hip-hop" category, which basically means ersatz hip-hop for contemporary dancers who can't do the real thing.

I'm still kind of surprised that no-one on the show has even said a word about Jenna being in Stacey Tookey's company as an apprentice. She is a competing latin dancer, but should they really pretend that she has no other experience? or that she's not connected to one of the long-time choreographers on the show? Very bad.

Next week, Jade is definitely in the bottom three and probably his partner as well. When they give someone Bollywood, they might as well just hand them a ticket home, especially in the early rounds.
    leee likes this.
  13. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

or samba!!
  14. bia

bia Active Member

Yes, odd, but consistent with the way they tell the story of the show. On the one hand, during auditions, Nigel gets upset at them if they've never had any training in a variety of styles, since by this point they should know what they need to do to prepare for the show. On the other hand, once they're on the show, they get a label as a one-style dancer, with praise for whenever they dance well out of that style. I saw a recent interview with Mary Murphy (linked from DF?) where she was still talking about Russell as an "untrained dancer" and how impressive his success had been. When you can say that about a dance major at a performing arts high school, just because he auditioned in a "street" style, it's clear that backgrounds matter only to the degree that they fit the nice neat story they want to tell.
  15. leee

leee Active Member

Well said.

Jenna isn't the first contestant whose professional connections to the show's choreographers have been ignored, and... well, considering the health of the show, she actually may be the last.
  16. Steve Pastor

Found this article on the Dance Spirit web site.

http://www.dancespirit.com/2011/01/lyrical_hip_hop/

Its Roots
    Perhaps the first time you heard “lyrical hip hop” was on Season 4 of “SYTYCD.” Mark Kanemura and Chelsie Hightower had just performed a routine about a workaholic and his neglected girlfriend choreographed by the D’umos to Leona Lewis’ “Bleeding Love.” Guest judge Adam Shankman jumped out of his chair with delight and called the dance lyrical hip hop. However, this wasn’t the birth of the movement.
    The D’umos (and many others) taught similar routines throughout the ’90s. In order to get Las Vegas executives to hire them, the D’umos made street dance mainstream by telling relatable stories and using pop music.
    Lyrical hip-hop choreography was more fitting to the Las Vegas stage than freestyle dance battle sequences. “Things that come from the street have a completely different aesthetic. Street dance is done in a circle, so there’s no sense of ‘What am I projecting to the audience?’” Forman says. “With lyrical hip hop, the moves are made to be done in front of an audience that’s looking at a stage.”
  17. Generalist

Generalist Active Member

It seems that in this show, the only couples who have a competitive chance are mixed race -- black men partnered with white women. White men with black women haven't done near as well.

The preponderance of these pairings seem surprising considering the large number of blacks on the show. Like for instance -- why are there so few couples that are black men and black women? If the problem was that white men can't dance then it would seem that black-black pairings would dominate.

The pairings seem odd considering that in true ballroom competition mixed race couples seem no more or less competitive than other pairings. My perception is that mixed race couples represent a tiny minority of the dance population, so they probably earn a smaller number of competitive wins.

I'm interested to hear other opinions on why mixed race is so successful on this show compared to real dance competitions.

Is there some kind of political agenda on this show that requires mixed race, or is it that mixed race sells better viewership results?
  18. Steve Pastor

It would be interesting to see an actual analysis of this to see if there is indeed anything other than "random" pairings. But, it's not so simple because there are other ethnicities involved, and there is the element of mixed ethnicity.
    Then there is the question of whether or not there is a an "equal" proportion of dancers in each style.
    Serious statistical analysis would require serious effort. Maybe someone has done that, and it would be interesting to see that analysis.

Meanwhile, Nigel said that they paired Aaron and Jasime based on their height, as one stated reason for a pairing.

None of the on line sources identify any of the dancers by "race" or "ethnicity." Rather, "style" is the identifier, which we know to be only a shorthand and reference point.

And, even though the judges are talking about "power couples," people vote for individual dancers, not couples. And, if they did what they did last season, the partnerships go away and individuals are paired with "all stars" from past seasons when they get down to the top 10.

Forget about "real dance competitions."
    This is about finding America's Favorite Dancer, while putting on a show, having first class dancers to perform choreography, being nominated for, and winning Emmies, etc.
  19. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

I always thought it unfair that it isn't so much about who dances well...it's a popularity contest. "Entertaining" dance styles get more support from the general, uneducated public.
  20. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

Not the point. The point is, don't eliminate them at the top of the show.
    SYTYCD seems to have gotten the point.