Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > So You Think You Can Dance-Season 7 Finale

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by RickRS, Aug 11, 2010.

1. RickRS

RickRS Member

Well, the final week of SYTYCD - Season 7 is here.

Always bittersweet for me, I want it on every week. Sigh, no dancing to watch on tv after Thursday until the fall season of DwtS starts.

Anyone hear what dances are scheduled for tonight?

2. Beto

Beto Active Member

You beat me to it. :D

Spoilers are even more slim then previous weeks.

http://www.sytycdism.com/2010/08/11/spoilers-sytycd7-top-3-performancesfinale/#cut-1

But nonetheless, enjoy, take with a grain of salt, and comment! And remember if you repost these somewhere, please source AND link back to SYTYCDism. Thanks!

Performances:

Robert & Lauren F.? – Contemporary – Dee Caspary
    Robert & Mark – Jazz/Broadway – Tyce Diorio

Finale:
    - Alex Wong will be dancing on Thursday for a quick second.
    - Rumor has it Ellen DeGeneres will be replacing Alex Wong in his hip hop piece with Twitch.

3. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

That would actually be quite awesome. Nobody could live up to that routine, so that's actually a brilliant way to bring it back.

4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

how thrilling for the final three... so enjoyed watching them last night!

5. ballroomdancertoo

ballroomdancertoo Well-Known Member

wasnt that a strange emotion that Billly had? If it werent so really I thought it was just show.

6. samina

samina Well-Known Member

billy? last nite? did i miss something?

7. Beto

Beto Active Member

I think they meant Kent? I didn't see all of the 2nd hour but I do recall his piece with Allison being emotionally charged.

8. RickRS

RickRS Member

And Kent was surprisingly subdue during the judges comment after dancing that piece. He's normally a bit hyper. Seems the emotions of the piece got to him as well.

9. RickRS

RickRS Member

I'm astonished at what the three had to accomplish: each did 4 seperate dances, not counting the solos, with less than a week of prep.

ALL the dances were great. The weakest was Mandy Moore's jazz routine to "Hip to Be Square". It seem more of a cheerleader routine than a top level jazz dance and as I watched I was thinking Kent and Lauren could get dinged in the votes because of Mandy's routine.

10. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i am just so impressed with those final three, how hard they've worked, how much they've evolved in such a short time. i agree, rick... just so many demanding routines to nail down in such a short time this past week!

was sad to see robert make 3rd (*tears*), but happy for all three. and lauren deserves her win, IMO. i'd pay to see all three of them dance!

i was thinking about the format this season and how i didn't like it. *but*... at the same time, look at how those three grew, and i suspect that working so frequently & intensely with the "all stars" had a hand in that. speaking as a pro-amer... :)... i know how working with someone way better than you can help inspire you to grow leaps & bounds.

and towards the end, i felt that the final three out-danced their all-star partners more than once.

11. RickRS

RickRS Member

Congrads to Lauren for her win. Robert and Kent were just as impressive, I would have been happy to see any of the three take the prize.

Kudo to Beto for scoring the Ellen rumor. I'm surprised at how well Ellen danced. Of course, my wife tells me Ellen trained as a dancer before doing stand-up comedy, so I had no idea. She wasn't Alex, so she didn't have that fierceness that infused Alex's original performance and impressed us all, but she did well enough to entertain.

12. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

She did well, I guess....but it wasn't all it was hyped up to be. All of Alex's really difficult moves were cut out, and that was what made the routine so cool...along with Alex's fierceness. Ellen is so nice and amiable by nature, and of course she didn't have the technical chops, so she had to play it for laughs and smiles. Meh. I had been hoping the surprise would be something more interesting.

Anyway, delighted that Lauren won. She was the most deserving by far. She was strong in every style of dance that she was given.

13. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

Last week, I posted as my status update on FB that Lauren should win but I was afraid it would be Kent, with all the teenyboppers voting for him... Thrilled that my fears weren't justified as I thought Kent was the weakest (in terms of versatility) of the three remaining dancers. Lauren was the best and Rob was second.

I thought it was weird, for all his friendliness towards Lauren, that Kent wasn't among the dancers congratulating her at the end. He was conspicuously absent from the crowd around Lauren as the credits rolled...

So happy she won! And this is coming from someone who didn't like her at first... She converted me big time:)

14. Ditto to both statements!

Ellen's performance was really MEH!!!

Apart from that I loved the finale. Lots of great performances. Luke, the 7 year old tap dancer, was phenomenal (from what I can judge...at least he looked phenomenal to me).

I would have been OK with either one of the three contestants winning. However, I am delighted that Lauren won! She really deserved it! Congrats to her!!!

15. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

So were they putting all the tap dancers on last night to show just how bad their "Top 10" tapper really was at tap?

16. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

I thought that too! lol I even said that should have Luke on the show next season instead of someone like Melinda, whom I actually initially liked;)

17. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Well-Known Member

Melinda is like my living example that confidence and a bold personality can effectively distract people from what you lack in talent. :)

18. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

Congrats to Lauren! Yay!
    I am so glad she won, she deserved it.

19. I thought exactly the same thing about Melinda.

Forgot to say that I loved the UK SYTYCD winner's performance! I thought she was really, really great!!! She did not get that much applause, though. Is it because she is an unknown to the audience?

20. Beto

Beto Active Member

Most likely. The only way to watch the UK SYTYCD, AFAIK, is to find it online somewhere and download it. YouTube might've had it online but those usually get pulled down fast at the request of the broadcasting company.