Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > So You Think You Can Dance - Season 7 - Week 8

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Beto, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Beto

Beto Active Member

SPOILERS
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    http://www.sytycdism.com/2010/07/26/spoilers-sytycd7-top-6-week-again/#cut-1

Here are your Top 6 performance spoilers. Again.
    But nonetheless, enjoy, take with a grain of salt, and comment! And remember if you repost these somewhere, please source AND link back to SYTYCDism. Thanks!

General spoilers:

- Spencer Liff is choreographing.
    - Mia Michaels choreographing group piece for results.
    - Kherington Payne (S4) and Lexie Contursi (S7 Top 24) rumored to dance on Thursday’s show for the guest artist. (Possibly Allison Iraheta & Orianthi who will be performing ‘Don’t Waste The Pretty’ on results show) Laurieann Gibson to choreograph.

Billy & ? – Bollywood – Nakul Dev Mahajan
    Lauren F. & Allison – Broadway – Tyce Diorio
    Adéchiké & Courtney – Jazz – Tyce Diorio
    Jose & Kent – Broadway – Spencer Liff
    Lauren F. & Adéchiké – Foxtrot
    Jose & Comfort – Hip Hop – Marty Kudelka
    Robert & ? – Contemporary – Stacey Tookey
    ? & ? – Contemporary – Stacey Tookey
    ? & Dominic – Hip Hop – ?

2. Mengu

Mengu Well-Known Member

Just some thoughts...

Kent and Anya - cha cha - Kent did a respectable job for a non-ballroom dancer. Anya was disappointing.

Robert and Kathryn - going off to war - Good dancing, but I'm still not a fan of Robert. And I didn't get the "twist", thought from the beginning it was Kathryn going to war.

Adechike and Courtney - jazz - I thought mixing a bit of contemporary and jazz was choreographer's choice, and the dance suited Adechike well. One of his better performances.

Jose and Comfort - hiphop - Jose lucked out on style, but unfortunately he does high energy much better than the sleezy stuff. I'm thinking his smile is only going to take him so far.

Lauren and Allison - damn yankees - This was awesome, and I felt like I was watching a show, and not watching a competition. The only unfortunate part was that the choreography got more taxing toward the end when both Lauren and Allison were already tired, so it lost a bit of energy. But other than that, top notch.

Billy and Ade - homeless - I didn't really get the story on this one from the dancing, however the dancing was pleasant.

Kent and Jose - broadway in sepia - loved the stage lighting and costumes. Choreography was clever, but like the judges said, not enough to hide Jose's deficiencies. I'm thinking Nigel will be right.

Adechike and Lauren - foxtrot - okay so they're not ballroom dancers. Still I thought Lauren did a fantastic job when they were open. Maybe I was dazzled by the dress I don't know. But the moment they get into any sort of ballroom hold, yeah, it's hard not to cringe. Thankfully the choreography had only two such unfortunate places.

Robert and Billy - bollywood - unlike the judges, my wife, and the rest of the world, I don't much like Robert. I think Billy is better. I don't feel Robert dances from his core, his body parts are moving a little too independent of each other which to me looks uncoordinated. Billy seems much better connected and smooth, his lines are more curved, soft and pleasing to me, than Robert's more angular lines. Maybe Robert has the disadvantage of being taller, or maybe I just have crazy taste.

3. arianiah

arianiah New Member

I've been running across of alot of posts about the last episode of sytycd and I have got say that the two i want to go home is Adechike and Jose. Obviously Jose is out of his league now and so it would be painful to watch him go any further. Adechike-I feel like I am bored half the time he dances, I just think for the most part his performance quality is lukewarm. Kent-lets face it-he hasn't really done anything "Bad". His personality is cute and he dances his heart out everytime he's up. Lauren-love her -hope her injury doesn't put her out of the competition. Billy-Sorry for all you Billy lover out there-his movement is more fluid than strong sometimes. When a man dances he just shouldn't look like a girl. That is why I prefer Robert over Billy-especially in the Bollywood number-Robert was more macho. I should say that billy turned a bit faster-it's because he is smaller. Bigger guys take longer in their movements than shorter skinnier dudes. SO Robert has to fight gravity a bit more than billy does. I feel this season each dancer hasn't been given a good variety when it comes to the dances they picked. There has been too much lyrical and contemporary peices in this season performed by the same dancers and I just wish they'd shake it up a bit. Like make it so you can't have the same genre two weeks in a row. Oh how I miss waltz.. or an argentine tango would be nice to see. Oh and Can I say I miss Brian Freidman-give NappyTabbs a break-those two are amazing for coming up with so many routines.

4. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

But they were doing Bollywood, which is not soft or curved? It's more angular and grounded. Billy was waay too frilly/soft for Bollywood. Rob did a much better job. There is a reason all the judges commented on Rob's performance and only commented on Billy's leg. They like Billy and wanted to be nice to him but there wasn't much autheticity in his performance, especially next to Robert who had more appropriate characterization to his performance, was alternately and grounded when the choreography called for each. Billy is way too effeminate for my tastes; he doesn't dance like a man. He was much better in the other piece he danced (which I didn't really "get" but still enjoyed) but then again, it WAS his style. Still, it couldn't been a girl Ade was dancing with in that piece - same difference.

BTW, there is no way Robert could spin how he does if we wasn't dancing from the core.

And I agree that there hasn't been a variety of dances done this season; they keep re-using all the choreographers over and over, sometimes giving them two routines to do per week! I mean Kent get ballroom for only the second time and gets cha-cha AGAIN? Where is Russian dance - with so many guys left on the show they could do a great Russian folk dance with two boys, a la Joshua and Twitch... Where are all the other awesome choreographers they've had over the years?

Anyway, my picks to go home: Billy and Jose.

5. Beto

Beto Active Member

Recorded last night but didn't watch anything after Kent's cha cha this morning. I think I'm losing interest in this season and am thinking they need to go back to the previous season format with the Top 20.

6. jerseydancer

jerseydancer Active Member

I agree with you. I am getting bored. I did like the previous format much more. everyone was competing and compared to each other not to all stars. lets go back to top 20, it is boring to have so many boys and only one girl as well.

7. Mengu

Mengu Well-Known Member

My wife made the exact same argument. You (and the rest of the world) are probably right. Doesn't change the fact I like Billy better as a dancer. I find his movements to be more controlled, deliberate, and refined. Robert is a bit wild for my tastes.

You mean like how he falls out of every other spin? He always goes for the easy (less controlled) out from his spins. He's obviously a well trained dancer, but maybe he just rubs me the wrong way and I get overly critical.

8. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

I got tickets to the tour!!! :banana::banana::banana::banana:

I hope they include last night's Bollywood routine!

9. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Mengu, I can relate to what you've said -- I started out not a fan of Robert as well, but now I so enjoy him and have voted for him twice in hopes of keeping him til the final 3. He has a kind of wildness whereas Billy is so technically refined (while pushing limits everywhere), and that's why I liked Billy -- he's such a master of his body. But... dang, I seriously wanna sit Billy in a chair and feed him vitality-enhancing foods. He's weak, sickly looking, girly-gentle, and IMO despite his beautiful mature artistry, he doesn't have the charisma that all of the others have because his vitality and personal magnetism is low. Kid looks like a vampire, and I found him almost invisible next to Robert in that Bollywood number. I wonder what he'd be like with a different diet...

I adore Robert now but... he reminds me so much of my oldest son, I'm biased. :D

I was thinking that tonight Jose & Chike should go but... I think I'm actually leaning toward agreement with Ithink -- Billy should join Jose. Chike's comin' out of his shell, and he is so much more vital than Billy.

I also agree with the comments on the show's format. I miss the old one. This season missed something. And *pleez*... send Mia back to choreo where she belongs. Immediately if not sooner.:rolleyes:

10. Beto

Beto Active Member

Watched the last 60 seconds of the results show and am satisfied with who went home.

11. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

I am sad that Billy went home. I have to agree with what you said, Sam, but still his dancing was so gorgeous!

12. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Once I saw the one person in the bottom 3, it was obvious who would go home. But Robert made it through, yay! Kent will win. You can't fight the choice of teenage power-texting girls.

13. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

I would have sent Robert and Adechike home, based on DANCING.

14. lacubs

lacubs Member

from twitter, anna trebunskaya - I'm so excited to be choreographing for SYTYCD this week. Make sure & watch wed!!!! There are so many amazing #s this week

15. samina

samina Well-Known Member

So... is this finale week? Does is go from Final Four to Last Dancer Standing?

16. Beto

Beto Active Member

No. According to TiVo, one person goes home tomorrow night. Then next Wednesday the final 3 perform with the winner announced next Thursday.

17. chica latina

chica latina New Member

so, what you guys think? Is Adechike leaving us tonight?

I kind of want him to stay since I feel the judges have been too tough with him. They pointed out his flaws on his pieces, which I thought were executed very well but didnt comment on Kent's disco issues (which for me was the worse # of the night) or Robert bad posture for ballroom(having butt sticking out and turned out feet)... plus Nigel even interrupts when other judges are being fair saying was not Kent's best...

I know they want to guide America to vote for the people they think should be in the final, but let's be fair!!!

now, if Adechike would stay.. I'm not sure who would leave since I like them all about the same.

18. Casayoto

Casayoto Member

I've wanted Adechike to leave for weeks. The stiffness and lack of stretch through his upper body drive me nuts.

19. Beto

Beto Active Member

FF'd to the end again and was glad to see him go home. I'm going to try and watch next week since those 2 episodes are the finale. I'm happy with either Lauren or Robert winning. I like Kent but I'm not on the bandwagon for him like the judges are.

20. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

Since I would also be OK with either Robert or Lauren winning (although based on this week, I think Lauren is the most versatile and, for that reason, should win), Kent will probably take it all...:(