Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > So You Think You Can Dance Season 8

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by RickRS, May 24, 2011.

1. RickRS

RickRS Member

The start of SYTYCD is this Thursday with the first of the audition rounds.

And for those unaware, Mary is baaaaack...

2. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

Love this show! Excited it is coming on now that DWTS is over! Woo hoo! Did ya'll see Mark (can't remember his last name but he was the crazy weird Mark who danced "bleeding love" with Chelsea and "the garden" with Courtney, one of my fav dances) dancing with Lady GaGa on the American Idol finale? Apparently he is now one of her backup dancers.

3. RickRS

RickRS Member

I did it again! Titled this thread "Season 9", when it's only season 8. My bad.

After two hours of auditions I can't remember all the stuff, but I loved the show. Started off with a wonderful super fast salsa - "Columbian" style, we're told. The young lady dancing got a ticket to Vega right out of the gate, and the non-completing gent she partnered with impressed the judges to the point they begged him to come back to audition next season.

Next(?) two guys dancing hip-hop did a very impressive number with a bit of humor in it.

And it just rolled on, with a good number of very impressive young dancers. For the ballroom crowd, there was a ballroom latin couple that made Vega. Can't remember her name, but we have a young lady from my town of Fort Walton Beach, FL going to Vega. Her second trip, she went last season, as well, but didn't make the cut and didn't even get any camera time I can remember during Vega week. Maybe this time.

Loved the little bit with the Atlanta Grandma that Nigel invited up as a fourth judge when her grandson was up.

As with all the past auditions, there were some that were just weird; the guy that started the theaterical sobbing after his (not very good) performance.

And some were great but didn't get a ticket because the dancer didn't have any chops outside the one style they did; SF had a very impressive guy dancing a style of hip-hop called "turfing". I watch the auditions rounds just for a change to see these one-dance people, they get their one shot and, man, they're good!

anp73ga31, I don't watch American Idol, so I missed it. Would love to see Mark Kanemura (I cheated and looked his last name up on wiki :)) dance again. Apparently he's very much a part of Gaga's video and stage performances now. Like you, I find his performances just grab hold and I don't think I'll ever forget him dancing "The Garden" from season 4 (three years ago?).

edit: The young lady from my town is Kimalee Piedad. She dances ballet and ballroom and is currently dancing cabaret, which she did in the audition. I'm sure a lot of the ballroom crowd knows of her.

4. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Well-Known Member

5. RickRS

RickRS Member

Thanks! I seem to make a habit of doing this. Was it just last season I did the exact same thing? :rolleyes:

6. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

This show just grabs my heart and my inner dance self!! I always think I like DWTS bcuz all ballroom, but I love this show much more, because it brings all the energy of the totally-committed dancer! Live real dance energy of people who have dedicated their lives to dance. LOVE!!!!

7. Pirate Smith

Pirate Smith Member

Wake me when the "Gong Show" is over.... and watch, the Ballroom Dancers will be the first to get voted off.. AGAIN... Oberon

8. barrefly

barrefly New Member

The salsa dancers are Giovani and Bianka. (17 and 18 years old) They are from Miami. Giovani won't be eligible until next year, (too young) but I'm hoping that Bianka will make it on the show. P.S....it was Colombian style salsa.

9. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

That was some fast footwork!

10. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Very impressive! :cheers:

11. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

We need a show with Bruno from DWTS and Mary from SYTYCD as judges. Some dramatical judging that would be!

12. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

^From your fingers to the devil's ears. Yikes, that's the worst form of torture that could be an unleashed on the innocent public.

13. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Yes, indeed, sambanada! :cheers:

14. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

All I can say is, "oy!".

15. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

LOL! :cheers:

16. ballroomdancertoo

ballroomdancertoo Well-Known Member

any idea if the chinese ballet guy coming back this season? I forgot his name but not his hiphop routine.

17. RickRS

RickRS Member

Can't believe I've forgotten about him. That was Alex Wong, and he really set the stage on fire with his performances until he tore a tendon.

No idea if he will return. Wiki article for Season 7 reported at the time the injury was expected to require surgery and 3 months recuperation. Do you remember if Nigel invited him to return? SYTYCD seems to have a policy of one shot at the Top 20.

18. vcolfari

vcolfari Member

I think Nigel commented that he views Alex as more of an "all star" than a contestant. Perhaps we will see Alex dance with some of the top 10 dancers at some point.

19. Casayoto

Casayoto Member

On the episode where Alex left due to his injury, Nigel said he was invited back for next year. I'm hoping he's ready to come back.

I am sooooo disappointed that they brought Mary back. I was just talking to someone last week who flat out said Mary is the reason they don't watch the show.

20. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

she's really annoying... my mother watched the show for a minute once and thought she was annoying so she is pretty special..