Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > So You Think You Can Dance Season 8

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by RickRS, May 24, 2011.

1. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

I missed your sarcasm too... my apologies :oops: Sarcasm is tricky in writing... I wish there was a punctuation mark you could put at the end of a sentence that would denote it as sarcasm... like a sarc mark.

2. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

I am all about interracial couples... Sasha FTW.

3. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

I think that's what ;-) is for. That's a smile with a wink, as in `I mean that to be funny, not literal'.

4. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

I mean a non-emoticon.... a punctuation mark. Like a period or an exclamation point... of course emoticons are useful for a variety of things but not everyone thinks to use them or likes using them... I often forget about them. And of course there are instances where I would feel inappropriate using an emoticon.

5. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

Rooting for Melanie here! she is unquestionably superior to sasha IMO both in style execution and technique.

6. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Those two extra "judges" were completely useless. What is up with the constant butt-kissing of the choreographers and utter lack of dancer critique? I was expecting incredible dancing last night, and it was mostly "eh". Disco? Blech, choppy, uninspired. Cha? Horrendous technique, slow, dull. Nigel saying at the end to the two remaining guys that a girl is going to win? Tacky and unnecessary. My only thought on that is, similar to what happens on DWTS, sympathy votes are garnered by overly praising one competitor while beating down another.

7. duffypratt

duffypratt Member

Melanie had some of the most impressive moments of the season, but probably also had the easiest run. Only twice was she really pushed far out of her basic style, First, on the hip hop routine in the second to last week. She didn't do well on it. Then this week she lacked almost all of the flair and feeling that makes a disco dance palatable.

Sasha is not as great doing the things that Melanie does, but I think she's more versatile than Melanie. I'm not sure how that cuts.

On the solo routines, throughout the season, my favorites have been Tadd and Melanie. Tadd's routines have been creative, made great use of the stage as a stage. They have been different one from the other, and they are almost always fun. Melanie doesn't make the same use of the stage, but her solo performances have been creative and not all the same. This week, she did a thing where she walked on the topsides of her toes, while going into a backbend, that made me wince just to watch it. But she did it beautifully.

I'd be happiest if Tadd won. He was the most consistent on stuff that was way out of his niche (even if his Cha Cha sucked). And as an asian beat boy, he's interracial all by himself... But I expect it to be Melanie. She's been the most consistently pumped, and I bet that's partially because the producers know what's coming.

8. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Seemed to me that Nigel, and Mary, too, dealt out a good portion of critical comments last night.
    The extra "judges"? There were a few times where you had to listen to what they didn't say. Think of Lil C evaluating Melanie's hip hop in an earlier performance.
    Travis was pretty harsh at times when he sat in, but then he's been there and has a lot of cred to work with.
    I think of most of the guest judges as being there for "color commentary" and such.

9. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

I preferred Sasha slightly over Melanie. There's just something about Melanie that seems slightly "heavy" in the appearance of her dancing. Maybe it's because she has a muscular, gymnastic type of body that projects a lot of power despite her small size. Sasha is very powerful too, but she seems more able to appear light and effortless when that's called for.

10. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Yes, Mary and Nigel had legitimate critical comments last night. I wonder if Katie Holmes and that other guy (?*mindblank*) would have changed their tune about the lackluster Cha routine if Cat had Mary speak first instead. NPH, Lady Gaga, that Modern Family guy, and a few others had some worthwhile commentary this season, but often it seems like useless filler from people seeking free publicity or something.

There were some really great dancing moments in tonight's finale though, maybe because the pressure is off? I correctly predicted the order of the top 4, but any one of them was deserving of the title.

11. leee

leee Well-Known Member

hahah. Love how "interracial" has become a "thing" on this thread.

I was really rooting for Sasha, but when I heard that the winner had pulled 47% of the vote, I knew it was Melanie -- Sasha seems to be more divisive on the internet, some people love her, some people hate her.

Christina Applegate actually proved to be my favorite celebrity judge. Had less than zero expectations for her, but ended up less than threeing her.

12. Casayoto

Casayoto Member

NPH was my favorite by far. He totally called Tyce out for his crappy routine, and spoke his mind. I've found a couple of the guest judges more useful than Nigel and Mary. Of course, some of them were worthless. *cough**Katie Holmes**cough*

13. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

Yeah, seriously. :)

Well, I just have to vent now. I read an interview with Travis Wall and I was disappointed in his attitude. He goes on about how Melanie was the "best dancer", not just the "favorite" dancer, which is the title they use on the show, and how the "best" dancers through the seasons have been the contemporary ones such as Melanie, Alison, etc.

And he says of Season Two (in which he was runner-up):

We always knew Benji would win--from his story to the way the judges always praised him--all the contestants knew that would happen. So the goal was to just make the finale.
    ...most judges/choreographers should have been objective to me during Season Two because many knew who I was before I became a contestant.

Don't get me wrong - I love his dancing and his choreography. But I get the feeling that some of the contemporary dancers seem to have a certain sense of entitlement when it comes to winning this show - as if their particular style and form of training is superior. It's just poor sportsmanship IMO.

Melanie herself sounds very humble, though. She said she was most proud of her Argentine Tango routine with Marko because she realized how tough it was to develop that strong connection with a partner. Maybe Travis could learn something from that approach. Melanie didn't win because of being the best technical dancer; she won because she took her abilities and connected it with her emotions and the audience.

The funny thing is, I never even knew about the world of contemporary dance competitions before SYTYCD. It seems to be a little universe all its own. I stopped in a dance studio to check out their class offerings and they told me that they changed the name of a dance class from "modern" (the term I'm familiar with) to "contemporary" just so the SYTYCD-watchers would want to sign up. :p

14. rbazsz

rbazsz New Member

The last two weeks of dancing were dull to ridiculous -- perhaps because they pushed too hard to make left wing political points.

The chattering judges should be completely eliminated or called something else because about the only thing they ever say is" "you are the best dancer that has ever lived on the planet Earth."

15. Casayoto

Casayoto Member

Wow. You really do see whatever you want wherever you look, don't you? Left wing political points? What the heck are you even talking about.

Oh, and by the way...

Which two sexes and races did Melanie represent?

16. leee

leee Well-Known Member

Wait, he has a point:

• Marko and Melanie contemporary = card check
    • Clarice and Jess Broadway = collective bargaining
    • Miranda and Robert Jive = progressive taxation
    • Missy and Wadi Jazz = campaign finance reform
    • Iveta and Nick = separation of church and state
    I must have been blind to have missed those the first time. And that's just week one!

17. leee

leee Well-Known Member

OK, real question. Pasha mainly competes/competed in Latin, yes? But on the show, he's being used in ballroom and Argentine as well; I assume that most pros have non-trivial training in smooth/standard AND Latin/rhythm, but do they regularly have Argentine in their repertoire? And if not, then is someone like Pasha approximating or creating a facsimile of it when he's called to perform an Argentine?

18. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

It's almost certain that if Pasha started dancing in his birth country, he'd have trained initially in 10-dance. As for the AT, he didn't choreograph it but he certainly has the partnering skills to pull it off.

Add to it that most of us aren't finely tuned enough in what the right look would be for AT to notice if it's drastically off, and you have a plausible performance. I mean, I couldn't tell you how correct Melanie looks when she's asked to do hip hop, but I wince at the smooth numbers because I my eye is well trained in what that style should look like.

19. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Pasha and Lauren season 7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E81hcQQRm5s\

What you see there is tango for the stage aka Tango Fantasia, etc.
    Are he and Lauren doing "real" stage tango? Sure. But there is very little Argentine Tango there.

What we would have to see would be a routine that asked him to do something more than a bag o tricks to make an informed judgement. And even then, "Argentine Tango" is not standardized by any means.

There was another "AT" routine this season. Anyone have a link to it? Good music. Two new choreographers (I think.) Is it that they don't give the dancers more common AT stuff rather than lifts and tricks, or is it that the dancers don't quite get it and they HAVE to give them lifts and tricks?

I think most of us who have been around have realized that complaining won't change anything.

I'll go with Lil C's unspoken critic about how hip hop should reflect the experience of the people who created it (or something to that effect).

But then we had a season with "lyrical hip hop" as a replacement for, say krumping, and African Jazz rather than straight up African dance, etc. No Lindy Hop or West Coast Swing or Bop. Rather, we got repeated servings of the made in England ballroom "Jive".

Still like the show, but wish it would get down more.