Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > So You Think You Can Dance Season 8

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by RickRS, May 24, 2011.

1. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

As much as I say I would love seeing actual ballroom on the show, the flip side of things is that contemporary dancers would have trouble learning actual ballroom technique since it is so different from any of their other training. Watching them do a basic bronze routine would be boring, and watching them flail their way through an actual complicated syllabus or open routine would be excruciating... so the only way we can make this not overtly awful for the general public is to have them fudge through a mostly contemporary routine with some terribly executed ballroom steps thrown in as an afterthought. Imagine the whole routine like those two steps they do in closed hold?? The ballroom dances would probably be more of a death sentence than they are already, sadly. Even a non-dancer would know it was not right.

Then again, if we actually had a diverse mix of dancers on this show instead of just contemporary, we could actually see quality ballroom, hip hop, maybe even some tap routines that could accurately portray these styles they way they are meant to be performed. OMG imagine that!!! :rolleyes:

2. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

I am loving this season but I do love contemporary routines, especially the ones by Travis Wall and Mandy Moore (I also wish Wade Robson still choreographed for it!). I think I watch for the choreography and the quality of the dancing. I do NOT watch this to see good ballroom dancing; if I did, I'd be sorely disappointed. When a couple gets a ballroom-ish numbers, what I care about is still the quality of movement, much less than ballroom technique. Because, clearly, you cannot pick up ballroom tehcnique of a dance in one week - it's impossible.

Those of you who are disappointed with this season: do you watch DWTS? Because, to me, that dancing is absolutely atrocious to watch. I refuse to watch that show because the quality sucks 95% of the time. And it's also sad to me to watch the once-good pros get worse and worse as they dance down to their "star students" season after season.

SYTYCD is where it's at for me for dance reality shows. Yeah, those kids can't do a closed position in VW, but what they can do is so mindblowingly beautiful, I don't even care...

3. RickRS

RickRS Member

:applause:

I'm in complete agreement.

4. Casayoto

Casayoto Member

I think up to this point, it has been their weakest season.(Tied with the Russell season, 6?) I'm not really sure what you're loving about it, but everyone has their own opinion.

5. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

agreed with Casayoto... I have nothing against SYTYCD in general... I have enjoyed *almost* every second of the past seasons. I love the awesome choreography and watching the dancers develop. I have even enjoyed the ballroom performances...and in no way, shape, or form do I expect the non-ballroom people to learn quality technique.

That being said, I feel that this season has had a lot of generic dancers and performances and is just not exciting. I wish there were more diversity among the contestants so that I could actually tell them apart, and watch them do their own styles.. that way I can get a technically sound ballroom or hip hop routine, done by people who know what they are doing. Now I have a lot of contemporary people that I cannot keep straight doing routines that have mostly been unremarkable. Even the contemporary routines have not held up to the standard of seasons past.

and no, I do not watch DWTS... I get bored with that show as well.

6. Prestigious

Prestigious New Member

Well, there were 4 Ballroom dancers in season 3, compared to only 1 (who was eliminated in the first week) in season 8.

I also noticed quite a few hybrid dancers in S3, whereas S8 seems to have next to none.

Makes you think huh.

7. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

Are there fewer stellar routines this season? Maybe. Does that make the ones which are stellar and well performed any less pleasurable to see? Not in the least. Hey, I know how to use the fast forward button on my dvr. If something is torturous, I just zip on by.

I usually find at least a couple of routines each night that I enjoy. Compare that to buying a ballroom music CD where you might be lucky to have one really good track! But don't get me started there ;-)

8. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

I beg to disagree.

Once you take out the SYTYCD contestants who have had ballroom training, like Iveta or Lacey or Dmitry Chaplin, then ALL of the ballroom on SYTYCD is atrocious, to use your word. But the top players on DWTS who have had less dance training than the top non-ballroom players on SYTYCD perform better ballroom numbers. Jennifer Grey or Nicole Scherzinger, I think, are good examples.

9. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

I agree.

10. gingerbread

gingerbread Member

It will be nice to see Iveta again on the finale. me pick to win: Sasha

11. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

I agree - SASHA!

12. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

I love Sasha, but she's on high energy all the time. My pick is for Melanie. I think there's light and shade with her.

13. leee

leee Well-Known Member

I'm rooting for Sasha, mostly because she is an interracial couple which is fashionable, but mostly because her HH with Twitch is on my very short-list of favorite routines in the show's run.

14. Casayoto

Casayoto Member

...She is an interracial couple??? Are we back on this impossibility again? Especially when you reference her dancing with Twitch in the same post.

15. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Sasha's such an amazing dancer, apparently she has both a black woman and a white man inside her.:rolleyes:

16. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

:uplaugh:

wow, I always knew she was talented... I didn't realize just how talented she really is.

17. RickRS

RickRS Member

All four finalists are great dancers and anyone of them could be the winner. If I was betting for the winner, I would pick Melanie, she has been consitantly great over the season.

I do feel that it all going to depend on what dance they wind up doing and what the choreographer dreams up.

18. leee

leee Well-Known Member

Alas, sarcasm often fails to translate over the intern--- oh wait, there's a sarcasm smiley available now? :rolleyes:

19. Casayoto

Casayoto Member

Yep. Looks like I totally missed the sarcasm on that one...

fyi, Sasha is my vote, unless something on the finale changes my mind to Melanie.

20. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Melanie is not an interracial couple. Thus, she will not win.