Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > So You Think You Can Dance Season 9

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by bia, May 23, 2012.

1. bia

bia Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to seeing the auditions tomorrow, as long as they don't waste too much time on the if-I'm-outrageously-bad-enough-I'll-get-on-tv folks. And I wonder if we'll see barrefly's daughter -- she should be 18 by now, right? Fingers crossed for a good season!

2. lacubs

lacubs Member

how do think having no results show this year will do? if understand it right

3. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Is it just me or was it very odd not to see a single ballroom or salsa couple shown in the NY auditions?

4. bia

bia Well-Known Member

It wasn't just you.

5. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

Are there going to be no ballroom people? Boooo.... I get a little tired of contemporary.

6. no_name901

no_name901 Member

This show has, since the longest, been revolving around Contemporary, lyrical, jazz and such styles maybe since the start. Very rarely do they pass ballroom dancers through. Maybe many ballroom dancers have lost complete interest in the show? I know I would never try out myself. The shows a little more So You think you can Contemporary dance.

7. bia

bia Well-Known Member

I was wondering the same thing, but then I second-guessed myself by remembering the ballroom folks who were successful on the show and got career help from it -- Chelsie, Lacey, Dmitry. But then I second-guessed myself again with the realization that they were all in the earlier seasons (2-4), and there hasn't been anyone lately. And of course, it's always been true that being on the show isn't going to help a ballroom dancer as far as success in the competitive ballroom world. (Though the visibility could help for performance gigs & maybe teaching.) It's a shame -- I'm much less interested in the show if all the contestants dance the same.

8. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Member

This is only the second time I've watched this and now I remember why.....
    Should be called 'So You Think You Can Be A Contortionist Gymnast'.
    Or maybe 'I Didn't Make The Olympic Team, So Maybe I'll Try This'.
    Also, having a good sob story to tell the 'judges' seems to go a long way towards a ticket to VEGAS!!!!
    Is the lady judge drunk?
    Not that I'd blame her, but her constant hee-hawing gets old.

9. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

There was or were a (or a couple of) latin couples in the fast clips with Kat's voice-overs. But no auditions in the two shows so far.

Relatively few "bad dancer" segments compared to past years. Wonder whether "Sex" will show up again... I hope not!

wc

10. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

I don't think the show's dancers are really concerned about their future in the competitive ballroom world or whichever genre they are in. Most of the contestants are people who have already won plenty of those competitions and are now looking to be entertainers and performers.

As you point out, three SYTYCD people have transitioned to DWTS. And I believe a few other SYTYCD ballroom folks have performed on DWTS without joining the cast. That's a lot!

In any case, SYTYCD's format is kind of schizophrenic. On one hand, the backbone of the show is routines by couples. But most of the couples have no partner dance background, and ballroom/swing is looked down upon by most of them. I realize they want to differentiate the show from DWTS but still, I would like to see a fairer mix of competitors.

11. White Chacha

Last night's auditions were interesting. Seems some of those "unique" dancers won't make it through much of Vegas, as talented as they are in their unique art.

12. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

This is my first season watching SYTYCD, and I've caught a few episodes so far. I haven't seen any ballroom or salsa dancers yet. Maybe I've just missed them.

I have really enjoyed some of the auditions so far. The ones chanelling martial arts into dancing stood out for me. Also the one doing their own performance art - two back to back auditions last night come to mind - stood out. I also liked the bellydancer last night. Will any of these translate in partner dancing - no idea.

13. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

IndyLady, contemporary is also called "modern dance" in some places. In fact that's what it was called before shows like SYTYCD.

Contemporary is often offered in the same places as dance schools that have ballet, but sometimes you do find stand alone schools/companies. There are many styles of contemporary, depending on the choreographer(s) and influences; I have done lyrical, improvisational, and the old favorite "I'm a rock, I'm a tree" style (free form) - but there are many more (some based on jazz, hip-hop, afro-hatian, etc). It can be a bit of a catch all style.

14. leee

leee Well-Known Member

Same here. I think the reason for that is that the show tends to attract and cast a lot of kids who are from the competition scene, which if I'm not mistaken places a greater emphasis on athleticism, so we get a lot of the same moves without enough expression that would otherwise differentiate the billion jazz/modern/lyrical routines the show loves.

15. White Chacha

Not only do some of the people trying out do competition work, but many of them are already paid professionals.

Not to take away anything from the amazing work they do, but you have to think about the audience for this show. Most of those who vote are undoubtedly early-teen females and subtlety isn't the way to communicate here. That's why the movement is big, the stories are romantic, and the music is loud.

I attended one of the post-season tour performances without ear plugs. That was a mistake.

16. samina

samina Well-Known Member

fox appears to have discontinued allowing free watching of SYTYCD online. they are no longer unlocking the episodes. :(

17. Casey

Casey Member

Pasha Kovalev & Anna Garnis were also on SYTYCD and did really well. They went on to Burn the Floor, and now Pasha is a pro on the British Strictly Come Dancing. He was at Blackpool, and the English people at my hotel knew who he was from that.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/strictlycomedancing/2011/dancers/pro/pasha_kovalev.shtml

And Iveta Lukosiute got into the top 20 and maybe into the top 10 in her season.

There were several ballroom dancers from the Salt Lake City auditions this season. I didn't see the very first one, who got through to Las Vegas. Lindsay Arnold tried out with her partner Brandon Armstrong, and she got through to Las Vegas also. Brandon was not auditioning. And another couple got through to choreography, but not to Las Vegas.

18. RickRS

RickRS Member

Salt Lake City auditions did feature a bit of ballroom, so maybe those here at DF that look down on non-ballroom have been appeased a little.

I found the show just as entertaining and captivating as before. Before this show, I never cared for or understood hip-hop or its variations. Now, I'm totalling blown away by a little blonde girl you expect to be dancing ballroom, and she breaks into a fierce kump.

Lots of entertaining dance, top off by a bear of a guy doing unbelievable handsprings and headstands. As good as he is, the judges just give him a lot of praise for his dance and the afterschool organization he put together and show him the door. I really wish them could have let him attempted choreography.

On to Vegas week.

This season goes back to selecting a Top Twenty. Changes will include a single night's show, as they drop the results night, and they will crown champs from the boys and the girls (new? or did they do that a few seasons ago?). Looking forward to more this season from my favorite dance show.

19. bia

bia Well-Known Member

As one of the people who has posted on this thread expressing disappointment that there was little to no ballroom in the earlier audition episodes, I take a bit of offense at this statement. I have never seen anyone on DF indicate that they "look down on non-ballroom" -- I certainly don't, myself, and I enjoy watching many kinds of dance. I simply prefer that a show founded on the premise of stylistic variety actually include significant variety. And yes, I like ballroom, so I like to see some. So, yes, I enjoyed the Salt Lake City auditions.
    I could have sworn they did put him through to choreography. Am I remembering wrong?

Looking forward to Vegas! (Though not to all the hospitalizations they're implying with the promos. Such drama!)

20. RickRS

RickRS Member

I apologize for the generalization statement. There are lots of ballroom people here that are supportive of other dance styles. Too many grumpy pills on my part that morning and a little frustation hold-over from past seasons comments where ballroom bias from some seem more pronounced.

The Vegas week show(s) are the least favorite part of the process to me as a viewer. The dances are almost all short 5-10 second clips. I understand, because they have 181 dancers that got weeded down to about 34-36, and seeing the same routine repeated 10 times or more would bore us to tears. And speaking of tears, it's heartbreaking watching some of these really great dancers get crushed by the cuts.

Only two hospitalizations, but seeing the girl get kicked in the head and the guy crash into the floor over and over... Please stop!

There a promise of performances in next week's Top Twenty announcement show. Looking forward to see the dancers strut their stuff!