Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > So You Think You Can Dance Season 9

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by bia, May 23, 2012.

1. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Did anyone see Lindsay "dance for her life" last night. I'm trying to figure out why her "ballroom arms" didn't annoy me.
    Anyone?

2. bia

bia Well-Known Member

I don't know as far as the arms, but I did think that it was one of the best solos by a ballroom dancer that I've seen on the show. It's just so hard to make a solo out of a dance designed as a partner dance. I thought they made the right choices as far as eliminations last night.

3. duffypratt

duffypratt Member

The audience is definitely trying to get rid of the ballroomers, but so far the judges continue to back them. The guy got kicked off immediately. Whitney was saved once, and Lindsey has not been saved two weeks in a row.

I tend to agree that the judges made the right choices last night, but I was a bit bewildered by the girls in the bottom three. I would not have wanted to choose to save only one of them, because I think at least two of them are way better than some of the others who were safe (Amelia and Lindsey).

4. ichigo9813

ichigo9813 New Member

I'm so glad they saved Lindsay . I love both Lindsay and Witney . I feel like Lindsay has better technique , and Witney is better at performing . I wished they could have saved both Lindsey and Amelia as well as George and Matt last night :(

5. Beto

Beto Active Member

I thought it was a horrible idea because the routines were a) fairly memorable the first time around and b) done *MUCH* better the first time around. If this was Nigel's idea then it was a poor one. Also, bringing in judges who have NEVER WATCHED SYTYCD and don't even know the dancers by name? SMH.

Anyhow, rant over. I'm pretty psyched that Eliana Girard, my favorite girl from the auditions, is doing so well. I wouldn't mind at all if she won this season. Not sure about who I like on the guys as I think Chehon and Will are both pretty solid.

6. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

Agreed - a couple of those routines I didn't really like the first time out, like the one about Mia's dad. Nothing against her but it seemed like it was mostly for her.

-wc

7. Beto

Beto Active Member

I hated that routine then and I still hate it now when I think back to 2007. It was too self indulgent and didn't really do anything for Neil and Lacey in season 3.

8. White Chacha

Seeing as you make that comment, I found the entire reprise show a bit self indulgent and am suspicious of it's subtext. But I base this on nothing other than my desire to see more and different choreography.

wc

9. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Ditto on all accounts.

10. Beto

Beto Active Member

Agreed. SYTYCD should *never* have a filler episode and it's a waste of the dancers' talent to do this. I generally like or love Mia's choreography but there was no need to remake it.

11. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

I think it was a valid episode, actually. Professional dancers are often given existing choreography that had been done previously, and they have to make it theirs, right? I'm thinking Swan Lake, Fosse musicals, the Nutcracker, and other Broadway musicals. So the ability to recreate choreography but make it your own is something that a dancer needs to be able to do.

but I didn't like the "father" number when it was first done, and I didn't like seeing it again. But I enjoyed seeing who could handle the choreo and who couldn't.

12. White Chacha

I agree. But it didn't have to be all one choreographer, did it? It's not like there weren't a lot of others who created memorable routines which could have been offered for the challenge.

13. Beto

Beto Active Member

Absolutely. Would have nice to revisit some Wade Robson, Dave Scott, or Tyce Diorio routines.

14. SDsalsaguy

For me you'd also have to put some of Sonja's pieces at the top of that list.

15. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Agreed. Sonja is one of my favorites.

16. Beto

Beto Active Member

Yes, of course. I was just going off the top of my head. Bottom line, this show is more than just about Mia who's won awards. Other choreographers deserve to share the spotlight.

17. SDsalsaguy

No arguments from me there. Indeed, while she's had some great pieces, to my mind Mia is far from the best choreographer as far as the routines she's done for this show.

18. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

What a pleasure to see Benji Schwimmer back as an All-Star! It's about damned time.

19. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Oh yeah . . . agree . . . and not a skinny kid anymore . . .

20. Beto

Beto Active Member

Anyone else looking forward to the final 4 performing tonight? I'm a little conflicted on who I want to win for both titles. Eliana's been my favorite since auditions yet at the same time I might, eventually, be okay with Tiffany pulling a surprise win. For the boys I'm okay with either Chehon or Cyrus winning since they've both done really well this season.