Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > So You Think You Can Dance Season 9

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by bia, May 23, 2012.

1. Beto

Beto Active Member

On second thought, Chehon is who *should* win but I get the feeling that the judges' have steered America to pick Cyrus. We'll know next week when they announce the winners.

2. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

I'm glad somebody is keeping track of when the show airs!
    I'll be there.

Meanwhile, I've got another coat of paint to put on some of my fence before the weather goes bad (probably not til October, but you never know).

Can't say I'm rooting for anyone in particular - just enjoing the ride.

3. Beto

Beto Active Member

Chehon and season 2's Allison just blew me away. Wow!

4. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Agreed.

The ballroom/latin performances this season have been underwhelming though :neutral:. The judges were gushing over that Rumba, but I never would have guessed it was a Rumba if it wasn't announced. Then again, since it was after some really spectacular performances, it would have had to be unrealistically fantastic to get a similar reaction. I can't see a Rumba doing that, particularly from dancers outside of their genre.

I do believe Nigel's "I'm not voting for you, Cyrus" speech was a ploy to get people to vote for him, not that he seems to need it given that he's never been in the bottom 2 or 3. Nothing against Cyrus, but Chehon is just breathtaking. This is a Favorites contest, not a Best contest, so anything is possible.

5. RickRS

RickRS Member

I'm rooting for an all-ballet win: Eliana and Chehon have been so good, and they were outstanding in all the dances last night.

Apparently the results are not going to be announced with a Wednesday show, so we wait until next week.

6. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

Yeah, there's always a backlash when Nigel pans a crows fave.

7. White Chacha

Yeah, they'd be my dream team. For me they're both more mature dancers. But that's not typically what members of the show demographic go for.

8. Beto

Beto Active Member

I'm not a ballroom dancer but I've seen enough rumba done by my friends over the past 12+ years to know what I saw last night was *not* a rumba.

That seriously ticked me off. I can't believe Nigel did that. Any hope I had for Chehon winning is probably up in smoke since Nigel said that. He and the other judges have basically steered Cyrus to the finale.

YES. A thousand times, yes. That would be wonderful! Eliana I'm almost sure of but Chehon's the one I'm worried about. Voted for both of the ballet dancers last night.

Typical SYTYCD finale format only spread a week apart. I don't mind this. Gives folks time to do other things with their lives versus spending 2 nights with their TV/DVR.

Did he do this last season when Melanie won? Or the year before? It's manipulative and probably has the desired effect from the viewers at home who may not have the dance backgrounds that us Dance Forums folk have.

A Tiffany/Cyrus finale would upset me. An Eliana/Chehon finale would have me overjoyed. This isn't like Season 2 where Benji's win over Travis was upsetting to some folks. In that case both were highly trained, from childhood, but in very different genres. Here we have someone who has trained his entire life to get where he is and I think his performances have connected with the audience.

9. RickRS

RickRS Member

You, me, and Cyrus. His face fell when Nigel said "I can't vote for you." So I don't think Cyrus saw it as "directing votes" away from a judge's favorite. But I understand why you believe that's what going on. Why else would Nigel make that comment except to add an additional underdog element to voting for Cyrus.

10. White Chacha

Really it's all about drama for ratings.

11. Beto

Beto Active Member

Season finale tonight! Hope my favorites win it!

12. Beto

Beto Active Member

And America made the right choice; the best dancers won. YES!

13. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Will get to watch the recording tonight -- looking forward to it!

14. RickRS

RickRS Member

Great show, with lots of dance. Most was the couples redoing judges favorites of this season, but still it was great. Included a very small number of the memoriable dances from the auditions.

The one night a week format worked, for the most part, so maybe FOX will continue this show for a while longer?

15. Steve Pastor

Usually sometime during the season, Nigel would announce that Fox had renewed for another year. There was no announcement this year?

16. Steve Pastor

This from the Wikipedia article on the show.

17. Steve Pastor

I think I wrote pretty much this same thing last year. I don't know who the couple who choreograph "Argentine Tango" are, but, there's not a whole lot of Argentine Tango there. And they had to do it on the last show, too. Ugh.

Still really hoping the show is on next year.

18. Beto

Beto Active Member

You'll have to ask the voting public that question. He was never in the bottom 2 or bottom 3 dancers so that means enough people voted to keep him on the show.

There's always someone in the top 4 who, depending on your dance experience and background, does not belong there if you look all the way back to season 1 when it was Nick, Melanie, Jamile and Ashle. This is just part of the show's format and a lot of it has to do with how Americans, that aren't dancers, see this competition and how it's formatted. To people like us, who have presumably trained in one or more styles and know how hard it is to get to a certain level, it's somewhat maddening. But, just like we say with Dancing with the Stars, "hey, it's dance and it's on a primetime network!" We're thankful that we get to see dance highlighted on a major network. Is the presentation perfect? Not quite. Are the judges clearly influencing viewers at home? Sometimes. Nigel is the most guilty of this. Are we happy to see dancing on TV? Yes, we *are.*

19. duffypratt

duffypratt Member

The producers and judges get to see the voting numbers. If Cyrus was getting the most votes, then there was no incentive for them to tank him. Doing that would risk antagonizing his loyal viewers.

And yes, his technique for several types of dance was much worse than the others. But their technique for hip-hop and popping was light years behind Cyrus'. The choreographers systematically hide the other's weaknesses by turning every style into something that resembles contemporary, while at the same time this tendency tends to work against the people who are not trained in contemporary. In ballroom, the "top" dancers were all bad. Chehon was terrible in his latin dances, but he got a big pass from the judges (and apparently from the audience).

The one thing that seems clear from this season: the audience really does not like ballroom dancers. The guys got booted early, while the girls kept getting saved, despite being in the bottom basically every week. And the only thing worse than ballroom for a dancer to draw for the week, is Bollywood.

For me, the most telling thing about the finale, was that it made clear that the only really memorable moment this season was the audition of the guy who pulled his heart out of his chest and killed it. I loved that audition. Everything else in the season was ... so, so and a bit repetitive.

leee likes this.
  20. White Chacha

Nice Mary impression ;-)