Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > So You Think You Can Dance Season 9

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by bia, May 23, 2012.

1. RickRS

RickRS Member

Now that the season's over, what do ya'll think about the single-night-a-week format they used?

It's a mixed bag for me. It seem like the tone of the night shifts so abruptly as Cat hustles the dancers on-stage in the last minutes so some to get the ax. Feels a little cruel. Whatever dance they just did they hope will be appreciated by the judges because it's too late for any redeeming influence on the audience vote based on last week's show.

I had originally expected SYTYCD to end the show and then at the beginning of the next week announce the unlucky couple at the start of the show. That way the audience vote would be for the dance just performed. Of course, then the show producers would have to try to keep the week's losing couple a secret, but really, why would it matter one way or the other?

But at the same time I'm hoping SYTYCD's one night format would influence DwtS; I so wish they would just announce the dancer booted off and spare me the chore of watching the DwtS Results show Tuesday. I watch it only because the wife insists.

2. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

Not to go too far off the track (Sytycd thread) but I pretty much only watch the DwtS resut show. That's when the pro pieces and special guests are.

3. leee

leee Well-Known Member

THANK YOU for this. I've been blogging about (and commenting on) this disparity this season, and I don't have much energy to get into it again, but the gist is that the show clearly considers hip hop to be a valuable commodity though not on the level of art, which is how it views the contemporary routines, and one whose stylistic integrity isn't important (which is why they so many of the latter-day hip-hop routines are essentially (pop) jazz numbers in hip-hop drag). None of the judges know how to approach hip hop critically, so when a contemporary dancer fails to execute one, they essentially "LOL whatevs oh wells in the long-run this doesn't matter because contemporary is real dance." There is a LOT more to say about this issue, but not one I'm ready to get into again.

4. Beto

Beto Active Member

Oh, wow. I didn't even realize it but, yes, I think I did use some of her wording. Nice catch! :)

Leee, I can't believe you didn't link to your blog. I used to read it with great amusement a few years back for all of the delightful commentary and gifs. :)
    http://tybe.blogspot.com/

5. leee

leee Well-Known Member

Beto! I like that "used to read"! (No worries, I'm not that funny anymore, I've noticed.) Thanks for the kind words and the link, again.

Thanks!

6. Beto

Beto Active Member

Leee, that came out wrong, sorry. I lost the bookmark between PCs and I had minimized my SYTYCD recap reading, so, um, oops. :oops: I've remedied that and will keep up with it more frequently. :)

7. leee

leee Well-Known Member

Beto, really, no worries! I was just teasing you, no offense taken, no apologies needed. :)

And FWIW, I remember that your linking is what originally brought me to DF.

8. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

This might be worth a look if you are a fan of the show.

So You Think You Can Dance’s Eliana Girard and Chehon Wespi-Tschopp – who won the Fox competition’s ninth season last week – will be part of Bonesupcoming dance-themed outing, TVLine has learned exclusively.
    The SYTYCD victors will be among friends; the reality show’s Mary Murphy and Tyce Diorio will play themselves as judges in the episode, and former contestant and sometime choreographer Dmitry Chaplin will portray a pro in the show-within-a-show.

The episode will air in late November or early 2013.

http://tvline.com/2012/09/27/bones-season-8-so-you-think-you-can-dance/

9. Beto

Beto Active Member

smidra86 likes this.
  10. RickRS

RickRS Member

Beto, thanks for passing that info along. I hadn't heard. And after being absent from DF for months, this was the first post I checked.

I'll be looking for it this summer!

11. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

12. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

twitch and glitch was the best routine of last season IMO that and the pole routine with eliana

urban dance is growing in popularity

ballroom needs to provide more top dancers