General Dance Discussion > So You Think You Can Dance...

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by dancersdreamland, May 12, 2005.

1. Beto

Beto Active Member

Oh you mean who got bounced tonight? Well the guy who left was not a shock to me. I was somewhat torn about the girl that left (I really liked both for different reasons!) but I just hope America made the right choice.

2. musicchica86

musicchica86 Active Member

yeah LOL I was just coming back to edit that for clarity. :oops: But yeah, that's what it was about. The other girl just doesn't excite me. She's so one-dimensional. There's just no emotion coming from her at all. Ick.

But now I have to say that Ryan continues to surprise me. Truly one of the most versatile dancers on the show.

And on a lighter note, Artem is freaking HOT. :wink:

3. Beto

Beto Active Member

Totally agree with Ryan. That guy's very versatile (he basically was a clone of Alex Da Silva during his first mambo[well, salsa], and not so much with the salsa the following week but close enough). But I'm not counting out Nick either. Ryan and him are my faves for the guys.

Not sure how I feel about Artem, Jamile and Blake.

edit: Blake just rocked his performance -SO- I'm thinking he could win this. Nick (who also just did incredibly well!) or Blake are who I'm calling for the top 2 among the guys but I'm not counting out Ryan who may continue to surprise us.

4. musicchica86

I don't like Blake. Nothing against his performance, because he is a good performer, but what a cocky jacka**! Sorry, I just don't like the guy.

And I really like Nick too. I think Mary was right about his tango, though, he really did look like he was about to start laughing! :lol: Or at least make ME laugh because of the look on his face....Kamilah's kicking butt tonight too.

And was it me, or did Blake and Ashli's samba not look like a samba at all?

5. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

It didn't really look like a samba, and I was disappointed that they were never in closed position either. Funny how the judge commented on that in the first couple's quickstep, but not this routine. Having said that, I thought they looked really good together doing what they were doing.

6. musicchica86

I totally agree with the bottom 4 this week. NOW can we finally get rid of Melody and Jamile? Let's reflect: both of them helped cause Snow's downfall, Jamile's just not versatile at all, and Melody just seems so cool and detached to me. I'm not getting any kind of vibes from her, good or bad.

7. Beto

Beto Active Member

Yeah ballroom samba's supposed to be in closed position whereas brazilian samba allows for open position, correct? Didn't quite understand that when watching this samba. Agree that they did look good together.

He seems humble now after that cocky bs during the auditions phase. I think if people can forget that he will go far. Though if I have to choose between who I like more and would want to win, I'd have to pick Nick.

8. Beto

Beto Active Member

Agree -now- that she's doing nothing for me. I liked Destini's solo but not Melody's. Ryan's solo didn't do much for me this week (he was better last week, I think). Jamile's solo wasn't any good either. That said I hope Ryan and Destini stick around till next week as Destini's hiphop was memorable and Ryan I think may continue to do well with another style.

9. ratherbdancing

ratherbdancing New Member

I'm not overly attached to any of the remaining girls. I love Blake Artem and Nick. They are all really amazing dancers. Even though I don't like them, the final hip hop routine was AWESOME.

10. musicchica86

I can't say I'm overly attached to any of them (especially since I WAS to Snow :evil: ), but Kamilah killed tonight. She was perfect for the tango. She really looked the part, although I do agree that her footwork looked a little hesitant.

But is it just me or does she look like she's about to cry half the time?

11. Beto

Beto Active Member

:lol: Nah I just think that she's out of breath. I really wished they'd show more of the couples dancing and not edit them down for time.

12. swan

swan Member

I can't believe Blake danced that samba THAT well! OK, I'm no latin dancer, but those walks & footwork were pretty dead on to me! Not so impressed w/ Ashle actually. Her kicks - even w/ heels on, should articulate that 'point' better. Even a non-latin dancer like me could see that!

I felt so sad about Snow - she's so good!

Definitely love Nick & would love to see the final "Nick Vs. Blake" - hopefully that will happen.

Given this week's 'draw' of couples, I'm pretty sure Ryan & Melody (my least favorites) will go :)

The girls left...hmmm...none impressed me, but the girl w/ Nick (geez, I can't remember her name!) would be my pick to be the "top".

13. wyllo

wyllo New Member

I was blown away by Blake's samba - I wonder if he got some extra lessons from Artem? I thought his partner was just along for the ride, didn't agree with how much praise the judges gave her.

The foxtrot was painful to watch -- and looked like it may have been more painful to do. It was disapointing since Ryan had really shown versatility earlier in the show. Melody's solo was better this week, I felt like she actually showed a little personality for the first time.

I miss Snow - there is just something about her when she dances. She is not a 'happy' dancer, but she emanates joy.

Loved the last hip hop routine - its was tons of fun!

Artem is beautiful to watch dance. I was a little surprised at how good he was at quickstep, but I guess I shouldn't have been given how well Russia trains its dancers. I'm not sure he will be able to beat out Nick and Blake for the top two spots, though.

I really don't have a favorite girl. I hope Melody makes it through next week, Destini has a bit of an attittude that bothers me.

14. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

Here's the recap as I see it:

Jamile can't quickstep. So he needs to go. :twisted:

Destini can't choreograph herself properly and her facial expressions are painful for me to watch. She needs to go.

Melody is about as pleasant to watch as Data. Technically very good. But B-o-r-i-n-g as far as performance value. She needs to go.

Ryan I felt sorry for. His pigeon toes duiring the Foxtrot did NOT help him at all and the Lyrical was pretty good (for a non trained dancer). But unfortunately he will probably go.

15. swan

swan Member

Like Nigile (or was it Bryan?) said - Snow IS a performer! Absolutely gorgeous to watch. So much talent. She's (IMHO) much more versatile than a lot of the other female dancers on the show. Even that hip hop, I didn't think was bad at all!

It was unique. But I'm not so sure I liked it any better than Blake/Ashle's samba :) I'd agree with the judges that Destiny actually was looking better than Jamile in that hip hop routine, given that she's not a hip hop dancer and Jamile is.

yes, I was thoroughly impressed w/ Artem's quickstep. Not a lot of latin men could hold that standard frame up so beautifully & support his lady so well! He could make a fabulous standard dancer! Beautiful Artem!
    [/quote]

Agreed. Nick & Blake really are the best versatile dancers w/ the most techniques & artistry, IMHO. I think I like Nick's personality on the show better :) But Blake is really very fluid...Will have to see that 'final' performance to judge who's better. It'd be nice if they'd do the same style! For a better & more fair comparison. I think both are lyrical dancers, right? They should give both the chance to do the same style! I'm pretty sure Nick can't do samba as well as Blake :) Even the tango I thought was a bit of stretch...There really wasn't that much tango in that routine. And I love Nigel's comment that he thought Nick's having the rose in his mouth might be Jim Carey at the best at first :) Thank goodness Mary Murphy picked a really cool tango song (Bill & Bobbie III...hmm, I want to get that CD back! It was 'crashed' & thrown out to HWY I-5 when I totalled my car driving down to LA for Emerald in 2002!) She did choreograph well to hide a lot of these non-ballroom dancers' weakness!

Now that I've seen folks who tried to learn different styles - I've come to the conclusion - I think ballroom standard (not latin) perhaps really is the hardest to do! Even most versatile dancers can't really learn it fast & 'fake' it well. Artem's partner this week was lucky, as ballroom really is more about the men (I hate to admit this :))

Would have loved to see Artem & Snow paired up to do a latin & ballroom routine. Too bad...not ever going to happen. America's missing out on the great ballroom!

16. musicchica86

Am I the only one that thinks they need to pull quickstep out of the hat? Honestly, that's 2 weeks that they've used it already (and the same person got it twice :evil: ). There are SO many other styles of Ballroom/Latin that they could use...why keep recycling the same ones?

17. dancergal

dancergal New Member

And most couple that dance the Quickstep end up on the bottom. Maybe they use it so they can eliminate the dancers that can't do it.

Maybe the name of the show is really, So You Think You Can Dance the QuickStep, Think Again! :D :D

18. deewoman

deewoman New Member

Amen! Every ballroom dance that's done could be a different style. I think they were lucky the ballroom coach was judging these routines.

19. musicchica86

My thoughts on this week's show...

Nick/Kamilah
    Mambo: Nigel was right. Too many tricks. What was with the music too? Mambo's supposed to be fun and exciting, but with slow and crappy music, it's pretty hard to make it fun and exciting...not to mention the basic footwork was sloppy.

Contemporary: Interesting. Not quite sure what to think of it, actually. Nick did outdance Kamilah, but they were both good. I just think she's gorgeous, though. I'm jealous. :p I want to know what the deal is with these partnerships though. This has been at least 3 weeks these 2 have been partnered together, maybe 4 (I've lost count). Let's mix it up, people!

Blake/Melody
    Lyrical: This routine was boring to me. I actively do NOT like either one of them, so that made it just that much worse for me. It just seemed totally artificial. No real emotion at all. Although I did appreciate the lack of the leg lift on Melody's part. :twisted:

Disco: This was fun. I didn't like it as much as I liked Nick and Kamilah's disco a couple weeks ago, though. Melody really is adorable when she gets to do something like this (remember her Jive with Craig from week 1? Too cute!), but overall she just doesn't excite me.

Artem/Ashle
    Foxtrot: What has happened to the foxtrot, quickstep, and samba in the last 2 weeks? It looked like Ashle dressed up in a ballgown and Artem with a fedora dancing around to Michael Buble. Where was the basic step/rhythm and closed hold? That said, it was a great general performance. Artem is as good at American Smooth as he is at International Latin!

Cha Cha: Again with the awful music! AND the doesn't-look-like-a-cha-cha! That first leg thing was really cool, though. Artem kicked butt, of course. Is there anything cuter than when he smiles? :D And a side note: What is with Brian straightening his hair? He looks like a girl! :lol:

Jamile/Melissa
    Hip-Hop: Melissa is just too stinking sweet for anything but jazz. Sorry. She was spot-on with the choreography, but she just doesn't have the look. Jamile was good in this routine, but it didn't seem any different to me than last week's hip-hop with Destini.

Paso Doble: Can I just say that Jamile needed to get voted off about 3 weeks ago? He was truly awful in this routine. Of course, he's truly awful in anything but hip-hop. Melissa outshone him here, but that wasn't hard to do. I've said it before, I'll say it again: she's just too pure for anything that's supposed to be that sexy. That performance did nothing for me. It was a mockery of what good Paso Doble is supposed to be.

20. swan

swan Member

Artem was hot period! I don't know what the choreographer of that cha cha was thinking! Didn't take advantage of Artem's strength - made Artem look like a non-latin dancer! And that's his forte! Just look at his solo! But the foxtrot was so smooth - unbelievable!

Ashle was actually impressive for once - in her solo.

I was laughing out so loud from second 1 watching Jamile's Paso! That boy's got a string of bad luck picking out ballroom. But he should be in the bottom, given all the other awesome male dancers...

Artem needs to stay as top 3, but probably will go after next week.