General Dance Discussion > So You Think You Can Dance...

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by dancersdreamland, May 12, 2005.

1. Angelo

Angelo Member

He has had it tough to be sure. His jive with Ashli was really good, but the rest of his "ballroom" has indeed been a struggle. You could see him stifling his frustration when he was beeing raked over the coals for his Paso Doble. I feel bad for him but if he's eliminated this week he may be relieved just to not have to dance ballroom anymore

2. wyllo

wyllo New Member

Yeah, the cha cha choreography really didn't do it for me. Disapointing because I was looking forward to watching Artem do some latin. His partner looked a little wobbly in a couple of spots. I really enjoyed their foxtrot.

Mambo, I agree, too many tricks. Too little dancing. I appreciated their contemporary piece, but it just wasn't my thing. I would have put them in the bottom two instead of Artem and Ashle.

I didn't think Jamile's paso was that bad. I found it a lot more watchable than his quickstep or Ryan's foxtrot last week. Yes, he can't compare to Artem, but I didn't find it offensive.

Oh, and during the solo performances, Melissa chose the wrong color of tights. The light, shiny material was not only distracting but unflattering. Maybe Artem should introduce her to pro-tan.

3. Medira

Medira New Member

Nick and Kamilah:
    I really enjoyed their contemporary piece. The way everything worked together, right down to the costuming was really well done. The mambo, not so much...and mambo is one of my favourite dances! The music needed spice and the choreography tried way too hard to work despite the lacklustre musical selection. Sadly, there wasn't really anything to work with to make that number more entertaining.

Blake and Melody:
    I was expecting something amazing from two lyrical dancers given "partnered" lyrical choreography. I didn't get it. I found the routine very disappointing because I had expected it to provoke more of an emotional connection to the routine and, while it was pretty, it felt very flat. The disco number, while fun, also lacked that emotion. I just didn't feel chemistry there between the two of them and that detracted from their routines.

Artem and Ashle:
    Aretm's two dance picks for last night truly made me squee. I thought that their foxtrot was very fun to watch, though there wasn't really any lead/follow. If it had been more of an actual foxtrot, then I would have been really pleased. As for the cha cha, whomever choreographed that routine needs to be shot. I mean, s/he was working with a LATIN BALLROOM DANCER and that's the best s/he could come up with?? Yeesh... I was so disappointed to see what they were given to work with for this number...

Jamile and Melissa:
    The hip hop was fun and Melissa milked it for all it was worth with her facial expressions. I wasn't as impressed with Jamile simply because this is his forte. I honestly expected him to bring it up to another level and really work it. As for the paso doble, I really hate how they ripped Jamile apart. Yeah, Artem did the paso much better than Jamile, but this is what Artem does! Jamile is a hip hop dancer and I think he did a damned good job given the fact that he had less than a week to learn the routine and try to get the connection and styling down properly. Give the guy a bit of credit.

As for the bottom two, I would have put Jamile/Melissa there, as well as Blake/Melody.

4. musicchica86

musicchica86 Active Member

Jamile's jive might have been alright in a different week, but up against Craig and Melody it was just as bad as the rest of his ballroom. And he hasn't gotten only ballroom either--he's gotten hip-hop for the past 2 weeks in a row and it STILL hasn't been enough to keep him out of the bottom.

He needs to go.

I loved how Mary's American vs. International comment went right over the heads of 99.9% of the audience. I can just see it now. Some poor soul's going to go into a dance studio and say, "I want to learn International lyrical!" or "Teach me American quickstep!" :lol: We appreciated it, but you know that most people didn't.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. Artem could have choreographed that himself and done a better job! What is with these ballroom choreographers lately? :roll:

Ashle actually impressed me all around last night. Even though last week's samba didn't look like a samba either, she's more than proved she can go back and forth between Latin ballroom, Smooth, and modern, and look good doing all of it. She even looked like she could have had a decent frame if they'd actually danced in closed position! I didn't start out liking her very much, but now I think she's one of the most versatile dancers in the competition.

5. Angelo

Angelo Member

Nah. It was good regardless of Craig and Melody's performance

6. wyllo

wyllo New Member

Ditto!

7. Porfirio Landeros

Porfirio Landeros New Member

They didn't have time to tell you who choreographed what this week, but the Cha Cha was actually choreographed by the Salsa choreographer, Alex. This would also explain why the Cha Cha had sooooo many tricks and was done On-1 vs. On-2. I can only imagine how hard it was for Artem to do Cha Cha On-1, when you're used to not counting and can already feel it On-2.

8. wyllo

wyllo New Member

Huh, if all they had was a salsa choreographer, why didn't they just let Artem do it himself? I was sad to see they edited out the training segments, I enjoy those as much as the performances (they should have the judges talk less instead).

Do you know when Michael Mead will be a guest choreographer? I look forward to seeing that!!

9. musicchica86

Ah, now I understand. And I agree--why didn't they just let Artem do it himself? That leg trick and the leg spin was interesting, but definitely not cha-cha. I like the training segments too!

I did notice the On-1 thing too. Made me go, "WTF?" and look again, and wonder who the bleeping choreographer was, because I certainly wasn't going to learn cha-cha from somebody who doesn't even do it On-2! Cha-cha rhythm doesn't even seem like cha-cha rhythm On-1 for me...I dunno.

10. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Interesting than that the two routines that were criticized by the judges for not having enough actual dancing in their dance and for not having enough choreography actually in the character of the respective dances were the mambo and the cha cha, both of which were choreographed by... :wink:

11. Medira

Medira New Member

...iiiiinteresting... :?

12. Porfirio Landeros

Unfortunately, because all the seasonal shows are launching, they cut the program down, and cut out the coaching. Heather Smith was the first ballroom choreographer to go anonymous, and I thought her Foxtrot was great. Yeah, Michael (and Toni) will be contributing to next week's show... maybe they'll be shown if they're REALLLLY mean (I was hoping they would throw in lots of pivots).
    :twisted:

13. Porfirio Landeros

Can you believe a guy here with the words "SalsaGuy" in his handle actually brought up such a contraversal question :wink: :?:

14. SDsalsaguy

Well I am SDsalsaguy after all, not SDtrickguy! :wink:

15. SDsalsaguy

Seriously though, I find it problematic on the contestants behalf as well. Note, for instance, how at least half the criticism for the mambo routine was directed at the choregraohy itself, and the same for the cha cha... choreography, of course, being the one thing that the dancers don't have control over for the partnered segments of this show! :x

16. swan

swan Member

I'd bet Artem had to suppress a lot of frustration just to learn the routine! He's probably thinking to himself, I could have done better than this! But then, it's a fine line you have to step - do you challenge the choreographer on the spot?

In this case, I think Artem should have spoken up. It did him absolutely ZERO justice. This man would be a brilliant cha cha dancer - for God's sake, he's the latin god on the show!

If any of you who know the choreographers, please let any of them know to raise this flag to Nigel or someone!

I could also see how the judges came to the bottom 2 couples. If you look carefully, there's no way they'd want to jeopardize Blake or Nick. So probably regardless how brilliant the cha cha routine could have been, it would not have mattered...

They probably figure Artem could be saved by the voting - so they'd hope.

BTW - I found it very easy to get thru the line to Artem's number - I think that's a bad sign. I did log a lot of votes though :)

17. musicchica86

I know he did. If you look at the look on his face during his solo (you can download all of the performance vids at w w w. rickey.org, BTW. They're in .mov format), you can just tell he's thinking, "I can't believe I have to try and prove myself to these people AGAIN when I finally got to do what I'm good at! $#^%$#%$ing choreography!!!!!"

I think he should have spoken up, too. And that REALLY pisses me off when the judges attack the choreography itself. They even did it way back on week 1 with Craig and Melody's jive--"This looked too easy, I expected more from you..." Well Jesus, they're freakin' being told what to do! It's not under their control! How is it fair to attack somebody for something they can't help? :evil:

I would have voted, but you've got to have a calling card to call out of the local area on the landline in my dorm, which I don't have--I use my cell for everything. So be sure to vote extra hard for me! I swear, if Artem leaves next week I probably won't even watch the show.

18. Laura

Laura New Member

OH my god, so that's what was wrong with it! I was watching it thinking it looked really weird for a Cha Cha, and didn't realize it was On-1. Who the hell ever heard of "On-1" Cha Cha? Well, what do I know...I can't even social dance Latin, so I'm hardly an expert.

I'm annoyed.

19. tacad

tacad New Member

:lol: I see it a lot in salsa clubs.

20. Laura

Laura New Member

Do you think Nigel even cares? This is all part of his plan to deep-six Jamile and Artem so that we end up with a Nick versus Blake showdown for the last guy. Weeks ago I would have been all WOOOT BRING IT ON about that, but after watching Blake's pointy-toed rock'n'roll and It's All About the Blake lyrical dancing, I could care less.