General Dance Discussion > So You Think You Can Dance...

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by dancersdreamland, May 12, 2005.

1. Ms_Sunlight

Ms_Sunlight New Member

You know, it would be interesting to know what sorts of dancers they had audition in different areas. Sort of like a dance demographic of the country.

2. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

I can to the twist...

3. dancemom

dancemom New Member

I saw the promo for the show tonight for the first time..."So You Think You Can Dance." Looks like it will be good. Of course my kids wanted to go audiition right away but I guess you have to be 18 so they are bummed.

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Interesting. Wonder why. :?

5. pkbab5

pkbab5 New Member

Legal reasons. If the show works the same way as American Idol, then the winner of the show will probably be rewarded with some sort of high profile professional dancing position, and if the winner is under the age of 18, then you get into child labor laws....

Not to mention it helps if they are old enough to sign a binding contract, such as one saying that they won't sue the show if they get injured while dancing....

6. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

True pkab5. And welcome to df. :D

7. d nice

d nice New Member

*sigh*

I love how "street" dancers are all so knowledgable of what happens in a show that hasn't even aired, or even better know a performer's entire background from watching a couple of videos.

Reminds me of why I hang out with professinoal dancers rather than my old homies on the block. All the pro funk-stylists and b-boys who actually appear in the videos and movies always laugh when some kid who just learned to head spin, flare, pop or glide thinks they know what the score is.

The show will be full of legit hip-hop dancers with credentials as long as my arm, and untouchable street cred. And just like American Idol there will be a bunch of people who think they can dance but will be off beat, unoriginal, total biters, and people tripping over their own feet.

I'm more interested to see if any of New Yorks tappers are going to come out and throw down some iron-clad hoofin'. I have no fear about Hip-hop being represented.

Anyone know for certain if partner dancers are going to be allowed, or is strictly solo?

8. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

The original casting call, in attempt to be witty, said to "Tango" on down to the studio, so I would assume partner dancing is acceptable. Who knows if it will actually make it on air though...Network executives tend to have strict ideas of what gets ratings and will be perceived as "cool". RUmor has it that the folks at FOX were hoping ballet dancers would be coming out in addition to hip hop dancers, so they are looking for variety.

Jordan & Tatiana have the information, and while they enjoy going to this type of thing, I have not heard whether or not they are planning on going to the LA audition on June 3rd.

My interest in auditioning was never to make it on the show but just for the kicks of being able to say I auditioned. I would definitly make it onto the "bad outtakes" clip reel!

9. wyllo

wyllo New Member

I saw a promo last night and during an audition montage there was a couple dancing - definately latin/nightclub style but couldn't tell what dance -- it was really brief.

10. d nice

d nice New Member

I almost wish there was no partner dancing... it is going to be pretty terrible to watch some great partner routines get completely panned or looked over because the judges have no experience with the forms and as such have no idea what they are seeing.

11. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

A la Dance Fever where Nathalie and Yuval got booted on acount of white pants and shiny blue shirts insteady of their dance ability?...that was sad. Wonder who the genius was that thought Carmen Electra made a good judge of dance ability....

12. pygmalion

Wow. You're kidding?!? Boggles the mind.

That's what I was thinking (in response to dnice's comment.) Good partner dancers might be forced to resort to flash and trash, if they want to make the cut. :(

13. bobcam1

bobcam1 New Member

It starts airing the second week in July, I believe...:)

Bob.

14. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

July 27.

15. limperatrice

limperatrice New Member

LONG personal account of the LA audition

I auditioned yesterday in LA despite my skepticism. I called Fox Studios to get details about the audition (earliest line-up time, freestyle vs. choreography, etc.) and the woman told me that they had already picked this season's contestants. I called again later and someone else told me the same thing. Someone on the fox.com forums, however, claiming to work for the show told me that it was indeed an open call and they were still accepting new applicants, but when I tried to email him back, my messages kept bouncing. Then I read that someone who pre-auditioned in Vegas was told to come to LA on Saturday, the 4th instead of Friday, the 3rd as it says on the website. Then the following day, they changed their story. When I asked about what I was told the previous day, they said, "We don't know anything. We were told to direct people to the website and follow the instructions there." It all seemed suspicious so, I thought the whole thing was a scam somehow, but I went anyway just in case.

I showed up at 8am and the line wasn't nearly as bad as I had anticipated. Fox staff said there was a total of about 400 people for the day. In the first round I had to freestyle to some hip hop song I've never heard in my life! I was scared to death because I'm a belly dancer and don't really do other forms, but to my utter amazement they passed me on to the second round. I went in thinking I had no chance, but my hopes skyrocketed when I made that first cut. I actually started fantasizing, "Maybe I really have a shot at this," but then tried to temper those thoughts with the reality that there were still three more rounds to go. Ironically, on the second round, when I got to use my own music, is when they cut me.

My biggest fear was that they would say horrible things that would make me cry or feel bad about myself (because I'm very sensitive), but they actually said only complimentary things even though they didn't select me. The first judge, Nigel Lythgoe, said that he could see why I fell in love with belly dancing and that I was very pretty but after all the belly dancing he saw at the NYC prelims, he didn't see any of the tricks (sword balancing, alien like belly ripples) that would put me up another level. The woman, whose name I didn't catch, said I was very sweet and looked like a beautiful, delicate fairy on the stage and wanted me for the show. Woo-hoo! Then the third judge, another man, cut me by agreeing with Nigel that he "didn't see anything special." At that point I had to pipe up that belly dancing in America is mostly fusion and that the tricks aren't really what it's about so much as feeling the music and expressing emotion. (At least that's what was in my head, but I was nervous and not as articulate as usual.) The woman agreed with me and challenged him about whether it's the tricks that determine a good belly dance performance. He said that it wasn't just lack of tricks, but that my little jumps and things looked like fusion to him anyway. Then Nigel talked about a dancer in NY whose ab work looked like an alien was about to hatch from her stomach and that's the kind of thing he wanted to see. I wanted to say that if they went to Egypt and watched the pro dancers there, they wouldn't see any of that either because those are all tricks, but I didn't want to argue since it was clear to me that they didn't really know how to appreciate belly dance and like what they like for their own reasons, which is within their rights no matter how much it frustrates dancers like me. I didn't want to look like a sore loser either.

Overall, it was a wonderful, positive, fun experience and I'm so glad I went for it despite the odds. I met many inspiring and supportive, like-minded people who helped me appreciate certain assets that I never realized I had. I gained insight into the division that sometimes lies between art and entertainment. I had the opportunity to watch some incredible dance performances. I got to dance my own personal way on the stage of the gorgeous Orpheum Theatre with my colleagues calling my name and cheering me on. I exposed people to the sweet, playful, soulful side of belly dance and hopefully cleared some misconceptions about it. Then afterwards, several people came to tell me how great they thought I was and that they were surprised I was cut. One person said, "They're out of their minds to let you go!" Some people even asked for my business card. What more of an ego boost could I ask for?

Anyway, for those interested in knowing more about the audition process and the show, the third round involved picking up a choreography...the same night. It was 8pm when I got the boot and I was dead tired. I wonder how the people from the East Coast and further who stayed on held up with their jet-lag and all. Since I left after round two, I wasn't privy to the details about the fourth round, but one of my new friends will probably fill me in.

As for the show itself, I was baffled as to how they were going to compare dancers from such widely varying backgrounds (hip hop, breakdancing, flamenco, ballroom, ballet/modern/jazz, belly dance, tap, Indian, some guy carrying light bulbs and a prosthetic severed hand balanced on his head, etc.). For the actual competition the contestants have to learn a new choreography in various forms working for only a few days with star choreographers. Ten guys and ten girls are randomly partnered each week. So, a b-boy could end up with a ballerina and together they have to dance the cha-cha-cha. This news unsettled many of us who only specialize in one form. I spoke with many hip hop dancers were daunted by the prospect of having to perform ballet.

I found myself wondering if the age cap at 30 was a way of filtering out jaded people like myself because I have to admit, there was something truly endearing about seeing all these young kids with stars in their eyes talking about their big dreams.

16. pygmalion

Wow! :D That sounds like a great, worthwhile experience, either way. And it sounds like you made a lot of new friends and contacts in just one day. Woohoo! :banana:

17. limperatrice

limperatrice New Member

Pygmalion, you _are_ a demigod! How on earth do you stay on top of all these messages? You must be a speed reader as well.

18. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

Well, I think I have a decent handle on how this show is going to be run...from some people who made it pretty far in rounds.

Now the judges at the auditions were a bit...um, crap. They called a swing a rhumba and when claiming to teach a quick salsa to see how quickly the two swing dancers could pick it up, actually taught cha cha. Despite these two being swing dancers, they were asked to solo dance hip hop.

My basic understanding is that they are looking for "unique" solo dancers, no matter the style. They want people who learn choreography quickly. And they are going to randomly pair these solo dancers and see who well they pick of on choreographed partner dance.

They don't want actual partner dancers, because they can already partner dance...it's looking for the drama of independant dancers forced to work in a partnership.

19. limperatrice

limperatrice New Member

Yes, that's a spot on description of the show in a nutshell.

20. pygmalion

Nope. I just care. 8) And thanks for the compliment. You embarrasss me, and make me happy. :friend: :D