General Dance Discussion > So You Think You Can Dance...

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by dancersdreamland, May 12, 2005.

1. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

limperatrice - It sounds like you had an amazing experience with the audition. I am so excitied for you and the fact you simply braved passed the fear and danced for them. Congrats on the experience and the new friends!

2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Ditto. :) And welcome to df. :wink: :)

3. limperatrice

limperatrice New Member

4. Calico

Calico New Member

Arg! help!

on the commercial "so you think you can dance" they play this one song that i can't find! and it's hard to hear the exact words, but it sounds like ' you know the music makes me .. ( wanna jump and party? ) ' i've been trying to find it but can't seem to find it. any help?

5. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Re: Arg! help!

Welcome to df Calico. Unfortunately I don't watch TV but perhaps one of the other df members can help ya, so I'll bump this post up a bit. :cheers: :wink: 8)

6. Porfirio Landeros

Porfirio Landeros New Member

All of the partner dancers that made it through were broken from their partners. They would pick only one of the dancers from the few couples that made it. They didn't straight out say it, but you can tell it's because they didn't want the partners to end up together in a drawing and clean house if they got to dance their own style, which isn't entirely fair, since two hip-hoppers or breakers could draw each other and tear it up :roll:

7. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

Ignore my previous post (from a while ago) regarding the start date. It actually begins THIS Wednesdsay, July 20.

8. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Cool. Thanks for the update. Looks like Wednesday is dance night on TV, these days. 8) :D

9. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

And two random partner dancers couldn't?

Oh, sorry, I forget that lead and follow stuff is so last century.

10. pygmalion

Get with the program, dude! :wink: :lol:

11. Porfirio Landeros

Porfirio Landeros New Member

I guess the producers assume that lead/follow is not something that can be taught overnight, and that leaving too many couple-dancers in the competition would give them an advantage over the dancers that are used to dancing solo all the time.

It appears that the show is not really about an objective dance contest as much as it is about taking people in street dance styles and forcing them into formal dance styles. If you are formally trained and tried out, you could have been perceived as one-dimensional and dropped, even if you were VERY skilled, whereas street dancers were perceived as "clean slates", primed for the experiment.

12. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

Yet another scenario of Henry Higgins Syndrome.....

13. limperatrice

limperatrice New Member

So You Think You Can Dance

Man! Although I didn't make it on the show, they're using my picture to promote it in this week's TV Guide. On one hand I'm flattered that out of all the belly dancers they auditioned they chose my picture, but couldn't they have used a more flattering photo? My hair is doing something really odd so that I look like I have a unibrow! I mean, if they went to the trouble of cropping me out from the background, they could've gotten rid of the stray hair streaming across my forehead while they were at it. Oh well. I'm simultaneously excited to see the show and cringing in anxiety lest they show footage of me that's as unflattering as the unibrow action.

14. dancemom

dancemom New Member

Re: So You Think You Can Dance

Hey congrats....that's pretty cool. I'll look for you.

15. pygmalion

That's so cool! Congrats, limperatrice. :D

16. sveta

sveta New Member

dance show

hey guys! who is looking forward for so u think u can dance??? im def excited.. YEAH! :D

17. shinydoll14

shinydoll14 New Member

18. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

so you think you can dance NIGHT 1

whoa, some of this is really bad... the brittany looking girl was nice to watch though.

19. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

OH! too bad we didn't get to see them dance,...but they just showed Jordan Frisbee and Tatiana Mollman waving goodbye to the cameras!

20. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Brandon was fun to watch!