General Dance Discussion > So You Think You Can Dance...

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by dancersdreamland, May 12, 2005.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Huh? I didn't see it yet. Please explain. 8)

2. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Phew. Man, I don't know about this thing... way too much flailing arms and legs and hair. Some of the contestants actually did move well (including some of the break dancers, which I'm actually fairly impressed by), but there are too many just doing hand jive. And was it just my imagination, or were contestants who admitted to having ballroom training being dropped after the partner dance? (Example: the, um, well-endowed belly dancer from NY, who actually seemed to be doing well with her partner dance in the few seconds of it that they showed.)

My wife and I were talking about it, and we don't see as to how what they are looking for has anything to do with anything that we are interested in. We probably won't watch next week.

3. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

It was American Idol style for the first round of tryouts...I don't own a TV, but was told that occasionally they showed people who auditioned but did not make it, Jordan and Tatiana were one of those couples. The camera had caught them on film as they left and they waved...the clip made it on air.

4. Laura

Laura New Member

I thought that was them but I wasn't sure!

I loved him -- he could move. And I dug his hair. If he wore shirts that were less baggy he'd actually look smaller.

I enjoyed the show and will probably keep watching it. I love seeing people doing different forms of dance, especially the breakdancers. It's funny to see the guys who can do these amazing strength and balance moves fall apart when they try something else. But it's amazing to watch them in their element. I like tap dancers too, and wonder if we're going to see any of those.

5. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

What did you all think of the black guy from Juliard? And his ultra hysterical example of "oh, so you don't think this is masculine?" I loved his technique but please button up your shirt.

I was also impressed by the "big" guy that made it. AMAZING

Anyone know the couple they showed in the clips...the guy was talking about how he waxed his chest hair???

Also looking forward to the LA auditions. Hoping to see some great LA salsa. Wouldn't it be hysterical if DaSilva or someone of his ilk showed up?

6. sveta

sveta New Member

i was def impressed with that big guy! wow i thought he was gonna be a big joke... so speaking of ppl being jokes on the show.. i saw this one video on http://www.foxdanceshow.com and it had all the funny recaps from last night

corrected url. works now. sagitta.

7. Laura

Laura New Member

The people I was watching with recognized chest hair guy, but they couldn't remember his name. I guess we'll have to wait until next week to fine out for sure....

8. cl5814

cl5814 New Member

I thought it was a bunch of nonsense.....clearly not my style of dancing.

9. Thebestdance

Thebestdance New Member

Ok, so in the end...is it worth TIVOing???

10. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

yes, then you can ff through the boring stuff! :lol:

11. Laura

Laura New Member

I thought it was great fun. But then I enjoy getting slightly inebriated and screaming at the television.

12. Porfirio Landeros

Porfirio Landeros New Member

A couple of parts had me exclaiming out loud...

Like when the guy doing the flips broke the table!!!

And then the girl attempting the old-school locking routine, as she stretched her face, and still had the nerver to pop-off to the producers!!!

Oh, and the guy that thought he could rap AND dance... he got schooled!!!

I got excited at the beginning, too, when they should clips of the groups doing ballroom in LA, and you could hear Mary Murphy say "The footwork is just NOT there..." You tell them, Mary!!!

13. jxntwinkletoes

jxntwinkletoes New Member

I watched it and it is definately worth Tivoing! By the way, what is Old School Locking? I didn't know what they were talking about. For those with Tivo, did you know that you can do a keyword search of "danc* " and it will search for all upcoming TV shows that have the word dance, dancing or dancer in them. Great way to find TV that has dancing in it!

14. tacad

tacad New Member

:lol: All respect!

15. dancergal

dancergal New Member

I'm glad I watched it, but we missed an hour of the beginning because we got the time that it started wrong. :( I thought it was interesting to see the different styles of dancing and some of it was pretty funny. I'd like to tape it next time though and skip through all the commericals. :D

16. limperatrice

limperatrice New Member

=======
    Actually, it was way more harsh than that. She said, "The footwork...just...sucks!" Yeah, this should be good. :)

17. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Okay. I am a bit confused (surprised?) :wink: :lol: about the format.

Can someone help me? Is it a number of auditions with dancers then paired up on a weekly basis to ultimately reach Hollywood for the final? Or, do they dance their way through with the same partner, to reach Hollywood? Are they learning new dances each week?

The basis for my questions, is that it sounds (the bits I did understand! :lol: ) very similar to the "Strictly Dance Fever" competition that just ended here in the UK and some of us were going on about... :lol: Instead of starting off with 50 dancers or couples (?) SDF started with 10 couples with one couple being knocked out each week a la "American Idol" style (judges and audience votes).

18. limperatrice

limperatrice New Member

Show format

The premier was misleading and unfortunately turned a lot of people off to the show altogether. What we saw were only the auditions for the 50 finalists (round 4) of the casting process. I believe the show itself will be 20 contestants (10 guys, 10 girls) who will be randomly paired each week to work on a different style drawn out of a hat each week. Partner's can raise or lower each other's score based on their performance together, but I think they're scored individually (as there is also a solo element they get to do too). Sorry if that last part's not clear, but that's the way I remember them explaining it to me.

The 3 producers will be the judges until the final episode at which time they may have viewers vote.

I'm in the States so I don't know what happened on "Strictly Dance Fever" but the exec. producers are Brits. So, it's possible they're following the same format as something that's already worked elsewhere.

19. dancergal

dancergal New Member

I am also curious to see how they will compete against each other. They did not make that clear since they made the first round of dancers that made it through the auditions first do a chorographed routine with the whole group of them and then a couples routine. After that they were either cut or will go on to Hollywood to compete. I guess we will just have to watch it to see what happens.

20. Pacion

Pacion New Member

For some of us, that won't be possible. :wink: Therefore, we will have to wait for the hourly reports. :lol:

Thanks limperatrice. In Strictly Dance Fever, the dancers remained in the couple they were paired up as, from the start of the intense 10 weeks. Two couples who were part of the 10 weeks were actually partners in real life, one couple had danced together in previous (line dancing background) and the other seven couples were strangers to each other.

In a way, I prefer the "stay together till voted out" idea as it shows how the dancers grow as a couple. On the other hand, I can understand rotating the dancers because if one dancer is paired with a weaker partner (either technically or mentally), their chances for the competition hinge on goodwill, rather than getting through on their own individual ability.