General Dance Discussion > So You Think You Can Dance...

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by dancersdreamland, May 12, 2005.

1. limperatrice

limperatrice New Member

In "Strictly Dance Fever" were the dancers all trained in the same style or no? For SYTYCD (why oh why didn't they come up with a catchier, if not shorter, title?) the dancers are from widely varying backgrounds (at least according to the casting calls). So, it wouldn't have been fair if couples who auditioned together got to stay together as that would've given them an unfair advantage. This contest will make a ballerina perform hip hop with a salsa dancer and any other combination that happens to be pulled from the hat. It's not just technique they're judging but also how well people work with each other and pick up new dance forms. It sounds incredibly challenging.

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

It sounds a lot like the Wade Robson project, to me. 8) :)

3. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

Eh, I think it depends on the particular dance.

In the formal ballroom dances, I can see how this is true. However, in dances like swing, which are meant to be social/dance with as many people as possible -- dancing with the same partner can be a detriment as you get use to one person..it hinders the ability to follow or lead multiple people.

There was an interesting comment on Yehoodi about this:
    Well, thats what we do every night we go out swing dancing. It's a crap-shoot about how well the dance will be based on random partners getting together.[/quote]

4. Porfirio Landeros

Porfirio Landeros New Member

Isn't this more a difference between competitive dancing and social dancing, instead of 'formal' ballroom and swing?

I'm pretty sure that the top swing competitors have regular partnerships, and they prefer to compete and do shows their partner, with which they have rehersed routines.

Also, the majority of the ballroom dancers in this country are social dancers, and many that compete still dance socially (me included).

I think posture and frame are what make ballroom a tougher discipline in jack-and-jill situations, especially if one or both of the jacks/jills has never done ballroom before.

I think hip-hoppers and street dancers can get further along faster with swing and even salsa because you can be lower in your seat and bouncier in your shoulders, since many moves are done with single hand connections, whereas in smooth/standard ballroom, you're talking a full-frame connection.

Anyway, just my opinion, having experience with ballroom, swing and salsa.

5. Pacion

Pacion New Member

In SDF, in the intial weeks, couples were given one of two dance styles for that week. If they had auditioned in a particular dance style and were known to have experience in that dance, they would not dance that style if it was one of the two dance styles - they woul dance the other one.

6. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Nice new avatar, Porfirio. Is the gown Laeticia (please correct my spelling :oops: ) is wearing the one you're going to replace because of the new USA Dance rules? Wow! It's a beaut! :D

(You look nice, too, btw. :wink: 8) )

7. Porfirio Landeros

Thanks... Laetitia just wants to sell her dresses while they're still in style, so she can invest in making new ones right away. It doesn't look like it so much in the picture, but she's actually fully covered by colored stones and the blue drape, but there could be some interpretation in USA Dance rules involving "flesh" colors, that really go into affect after this nationals anyway.

Oh, RE: So You Think You Can Dance... in response to the ratings, the production is going NUTZ. They're scrambling around to re-write contracts and prepare for weekly live showings (vs. taped episodes). I guess this show could be here to stay for at least another couple seasons.

8. Laura

Laura New Member

The dress is not made from flesh-colored material so it looks fine to me. Flesh-colored material may be used, just not as the main color of the dress. Do you have pictures of the front and back of it anywhere?

9. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Hm. Weren't they already showing it live, apart from the initial auditions?

10. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Wow, some of the LA contestants are really superb to watch. Nick and Melody especially!

11. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Can't wait to see it later!

12. Porfirio Landeros

Is it just me, or were there a few moments that made you want to yell in pain watching the 2nd episode. There were those interesting punk-breakers that were doing contortions and banging heads on the ground.

Also, there were some very elegant tricks and flips by other dancers.

It was sad to see partnerships broken up - only one half making it to the next rounds.

I was excited to see more clips of Mary at the end, and at the VERY end of the show during the last clip in the credits, you could catch a glimps of a couple doing Jive up on the finalist stage.

Looking forward to seeing live shows soon!

13. aimerrouge

aimerrouge New Member

I am so glad to see people on this forum watching the show. I tried to get my friends to watch and they said the found the advertising misleading. They only watched the first episode.

14. dancergal

dancergal New Member

I agree. They were great. Lots of really good dancers. But too many head-spinners, although they were fun to watch, oh, except the icky guys. What were their names? It hurt to watch them.

15. dTas

dTas New Member

i missed the first episode. i thought this was the frist one.

it was very interesting trying to figure out the criteria that determined who went on and who didn't.

16. Porfirio Landeros

I guess being over 30 years old is too old for this show.

They wanted dancers that they perceived as being multi-dimensional. That's why people that seemed too rooted in their primary style were booted, even if they were technically better dancers than the ones kept to move forward.

A good example of this is the breakdancers, who can't do the choreography sections later on in the day, or the ballet guy from the first episode, that couldn't partner dance (as a male).

17. dancergal

dancergal New Member

I thought it was really funny when the guys from the "circus" group tried to pass themselves off as 30 and under. They all looked a lot older! LOL! But they were very entertaining.

Oh yeah, and I really like the guy with the roller skates. How cool was that when he was running in place or doing the moon walk on skates?

18. SalsaAmore

SalsaAmore New Member

Unfortunately, I missed the first half of the show. But, I thought that guy Blake was incredible. He could do everything and what the judges were saying were great. One said that it was an honor to watch him dance. And, another said he didn't like him because he couldn't do what he can do when he was dancing. I feel the same.

19. Porfirio Landeros

They seemed to give him some advice, too, to not take himself too seriously. Maybe they're worried about a Diva complex?

20. grooviegoulie

grooviegoulie New Member

dancer's audition song

Hi,

This is to anyone that watched the show last night. There was a couple (friends) that were auditioning. The were originally from the Bay area. The guy, Jim (I think), had a really good audition. What I'm interested in is the song he auditioned with. It was an amazing male singer, sort of Damian Rice sounding. Does anyone know what the song was?

thanks