Dancers Anonymous > Soaring gas prices

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by lynn, Aug 9, 2005.

1. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

Exactly, talk about a bogus reason. :roll:

2. DancePoet

Up to 2.45 around here, and that's the low end. :roll:

3. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I'm hoping 2.699. I passed by a gas station on the way to work and it was 2.739. I know they discount gas by a nickel on Thursdays, so I'm hoping it will be 2.699. If I filled up 10 gallons I would also get a free slice of pizza, but my little car is so good it almost never happens. :-(

4. bjp22tango

bjp22tango Active Member

$2.79 her on the Oregon coast, $2.75 at the discount place. You can get it cheaper inland, and up the coast in a little town that consistantly discounts its gas. I have no idea how they stay in business. Loss leader for their convenience store maybe.

5. Sagitta

That's how most gas convenience store places stay in business. ;-)

6. Sagitta

Actually got gas for 2.709. So, this place had 2.739 in the morning and actually discounted only 3 cents instead of 5 cents. So today if I drive by it is going to be 2.749 or 2.759. Really sneaky way of rasing prices...unless they are not giving as good a discount anymore... Either way...Grrr!! :-(

7. tj

tj New Member

Isn't the price supposed to be determined by how much they paid the gas delivery service + markup?

Can't see how they'd lose money if they didn't want to.

8. Sagitta

It actually was in the news...a while back...razor thin margins, particularly the discounted places, and they hope to make money through their convenience stores.

9. Sagitta

An exciting update. I just did 46 miles/gallon on my car this past week! I know that scooters and motorcycles do better with 60 to maybe 120 mi/gallon. But the convenience of a car with that mileage! It is a 97 honda civic hx coupe. No fancy hybrid vehicle...and mostly city driving...i.e.5/6 mi to work and back home every day and running errands... :)

10. spectator

spectator Member

Guys I bet you wish Venezuela were on side... maybe you should fund their next attempted coup...

11. tj

tj New Member

Again - it's their choice to do so... You'd think they'd know their books/customer purchase patterns well enough to know if it's worth it or not. And if they didn't, then they'd be out of business to be replaced with someone who does figure it out.

12. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

LOL, I was happy I got 20 mpg on my last tank...

13. reb

reb Active Member

My car has a meter which shows the instantaneous mpg, which has been very enlightening. It goes off the scale when coasting, going down-hill, or as my foot comes off the accelerator - nothing radical there.

But it has made me so much more aware of how mpg is significantly adversely affected by stop-n-go, idling, waiting in a line, etc.

14. DancePoet

Prices seem to be coming down around here. Paid 2.77 yesterday. Hope the prices keep dropping.

15. DancePoet

Been paying under 2.60 lately, but prices seem to be rising again. :(

Price of a barrel of oil went up over $90 for the first time yesterday. :roll:

16. tj

tj New Member

I think I saw it was $2.70 here?

Wtih worldwide demand soaring, and dwindling supply, this isn't exactly a surprise. So when do we start seeing $4/gallon gasoline here in the US?

17. DancePoet

Probably sooner than later.

I was listening to public radio yesterday, and somebody was interviewing a guy who has written a book on what is happening over in Kazikstan near the Caspian Sea, or something like that. He was saying how there is an oil field over there with 13 billion barrels of potential production, and how a huge oil field is usually classified at 1 billion. Anyway, the only way to get the oil out is to truck it through Russia or Iran. Iran doesn't want to permit that because then their oil wouldn't be as valuable. Russia permits limited access through their country for various political and economical reasons. So ... there is this thought to create a pipe line ot go across the Caspian Sea, but Russia is influencing the other country (I forget the name) not to permit this either.

Now eventually even this place might dry up one day, and not that this is the only answer to the issue, yet if this was accessible it could potentially hold off the increasing gas prices.

At the same time, the rest of the oil industry might not make as much money as they can now.

No easy answers any way we look.

18. DancePoet

Gas prices seem to be hovering around here between 2.85 and 3.00. At least it has leveld off a bit, but maybe I need to be knocking on wood.

Second thought, fat chance that will do any good. :lol:

19. DancePoet

Got gas fro 2.79 this weekend, maybe it will drop lower :?:

20. DancePoet

$2.86 this weekend.