Ballroom Dance > [social dancing] Increase your chances of getting asked

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Dr Dance, Apr 27, 2014.

1. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

Hate this. Sometimes you really don't know if a dress isn't social-friendly until you're actually at the social, no matter how much you test it out before hand...

2. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Yup, who here hasn't danced in the try-on room at the clothing store?

IndyLady and Hedwaite like this.
  3. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

That's why a pair of bike shorts or dance pants lives in my dance bag. Never know when you or someone else will need it.

Hedwaite likes this.
  4. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

I always pick the bottom of the dress up and separate the outer from inner skirt. Sure enough, the inner skirt is usually narrow, and the outer is all pretty and floaty.

And then I put them down and go buy black pants.

Sania and SwayWithMe like this.
  5. leee

leee Well-Known Member

Someone else? Does lending some modestly clothing to others happen often?

6. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Not very often, but I was a team captain for the university team for two years, and I've become used to being prepared for any newbies who don't know better.

7. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

Where as I carry instant ice packs to share in case of injury. :D

8. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

Oh, I do dance pants no matter what... I just don't like it when they're actually necessary.

9. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

Dollar Tree, Rise/Fall- and even little bitty hand-warmer packs too, though I don't know what you'd need those for unless the seats were cold, Lol.

10. Partner Dancer

Partner Dancer Well-Known Member

Get in the social circle of the prospective partner(s), so the awkwardness of unfamiliarity
    is alleviated. Not only does this increase the chance of being asked, but it reduces the
    chance of being rejected. At least in theory. Oftentimes, as with any human interactions,
    making friends is just not that easy.

Of course, there is also the case of not (no longer) being asked or (newly) being rejected
    by already socially-familiar (past) partners, which is yet another facet of human drama.

Now, whether social dancing provides a natural avenue for social (non-dancing) interaction,
    or social interaction provides greater opportunity for social dancing is up for debate.
    Sometimes, it's nice to know more about someone and sometimes it's better to know
    less.

11. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

What if you NEVER see those people apart from at the social?

12. Partner Dancer

Partner Dancer Well-Known Member

The idea is to rub elbows at the social dances while not dancing, which often leads to socializing
    elsewhere. Seems to work for many people.

The AM and FA chains (and studios modelled after them) are run as social clubs, where familiarity
    is the order of the day and asking for and accepting dances is taken for granted.

Caroline Skipper likes this.
  13. tangomaniac

tangomaniac Active Member

14. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

^ Nice article, TM

15. tangomaniac

tangomaniac Active Member

Thank you. It took a few hours to write.