General Dance Discussion > Social Dancing with More Advanced Dancers

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Wyndstorm Huntress, Dec 15, 2007.

1. D-spot

D-spot Member

Maturity? Preparedness to discuss? Great example right here. Thanks for putting yourself up as an example.
    I would much rather resolve an issue than leave it to lie around, ready to trip over it again in the future.

2. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

Er, well, since you brought it up.

I don't have an issue with your views on the social contract of social dancing, but some of your comments about the actual dancing have had a bit of a teenager out for a joyride kind of character to them. Of course I haven't seen you actually dance, so I don't know how you do dance, but that particular character in your writing about the dancing does make me a little uneasy. Not going to say that some of the rest of us might not have gone through a phase like that, only that it hopefully is only a phase for anyone who does happen to be there.

3. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Dude, you need to do a search and read through Peaches' history here.

You are waaaaaaaaay out of line. :headwall:

4. D-spot

D-spot Member

Past history maybe, but I make the reference directly in reply to the posted comment. At least on this comment there is no preparedness to try to resolve issues. You are suggesting that I seek further information about peaches past history (I am sure that in some circumstance there is no problem, but in this case it seems that the one not seeking further information is Peaches, and it is this case to which I limit my remarks).
    I gave up on the boards a couple of years ago because of such unproductive comments. Seems things don't change.

5. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Perhaps it's time for you to "give up on the boards" again.
    *plonk*

6. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

YES, YES AND YES.

We all (presumably) know what to expect at an open social dance. We can choose to enjoy it as much as we can, or if the event and its dancers are not to our liking, then we can choose not to attend. I know some dancers who regularly attend one particular dance (because they find the location convenient) but keep complaining about it: it's too crowded, people have no floorcraft and bump into each other, quality of pre-dance lesson is poor, etc. etc. Yet my suggestions to try other places are to no avail. I don't get it, but oh well. :rolleyes:

7. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Fraid you touched a nerve. Peaches is one of the nicest people here and you should read her posts with that in mind - and maybe be a bit more generous.

Actually, its probably the best to start that way with everyone. I know you have had some disagreements with your approach but I realize that its likely that you are being a bit misunderstood or that you may be coming across shall we say more 'single minded' than you are in real life. If you are who I think you are (I replied to your PM and confirmed who I was, but have yet to have a reply), I happen to know that there a lot of followers who seem to love to dance with you (I only say 'seem' because I have not talked to them, not to be in any way critical).

See? Practising what I preached ;)

8. Chris Stratton

Perhaps in general, but in this case there's no denying that she basically walked in, and without bothering to try to understand what he was saying, pretty much rejected out of hand his whole participation in dance:

9. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

"Why do some of you even bother with social dancing at all, given the conditions and expectations and judgements that you put into it?"

Sounds like a legitimate question to me.

10. Chris Stratton

It was not asked as a question, it was stated as a dismissive rejection.

If she had actually taken time to read and understand D-spot's lengthy comments, she would know exactly why he dances in the situations he does.

11. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

LOL. Actually, I have read this thread, in its entirety. I've read all of the arguments.

I won't contribute more because there's no point to it. There seem to be some fundamental differences as to why people choose to social dance, what they look for, and what they get out of it. (To that end, the question was equal parts genuine question and rant. I do really wonder why some people bother to social dance at all.) To continue along this line is nothing more than beating a dead horse. Pointless. Not to mention, this topic comes up with some regularity on D-F, and I've participated before...quite frankly, it's just something I've lost the energy and will to debate. It goes nowhere, and never will.

Beyond that, I refuse to engage in arguments with people who use ad hominem attacks. To debate a point is one thing, to go after the person is another. End of story for me.

So...whatever. I'm just happy that I dance in the realm of AT, where it's all "just" social dancing.

12. Chris Stratton

So why did you make one?

13. Peaches

I don't feel that I did. To what are you referring?

14. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

okay...enough...let's stop with the personal stuff...people have offended one another ...end of story....certainly it all boils down to what one feels entitled to expect at a social venue...which really isn't even the OP's topic...and people on all sides of the issue have concurred that everyone seems to be militantly entrenched in their own perspective so let's give it a rest....and yes...this is now an official moderation...which will not be debated in public without infraction

15. fascination

nope... drop it...he can take it to P.M.

16. Peaches

*shrug* OK. Apologies to all.

17. fascination

18. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Another plonk from here.

19. fascination

:doh::doh::doh:uncle!!!!!!!!! enough!!!!!...don't make me open this can;)

20. OP speaking here - If nothing else, this has taught me quite a bit about the variety of personalities and belief systems that come to the dance floor. Some I was familiar with, others are new and intriguing enough for further exploration, and still others are just...well, it is what it is.

While I hadn't intended for this to go to some of the extremes it did, I am grateful for the insight it's revealed.