General Dance Discussion > Social Dancing with More Advanced Dancers

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Wyndstorm Huntress, Dec 15, 2007.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

then it's all good...goes off to a nice nap

2. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

Interesting. I've really started asking others to dance, when I started coming to parties here by myself more and I realized that I won't get to dance if I don't ask. I was not a complete newbie by that point, though, and probably was somewhere in the middle of the pack for the local area, level-wise.. When I was a complete newbie, we lived in a different area (eastern LI) and dance scene was such that people did not mix.

3. reb

reb Active Member

Well said.

This is one of the most exciting aspects of maturing (that's intended to be my nice way of saying growing older :D ) - learning more about other perspectives (and oneself) than imagined before . . .

4. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I'm beginning to believe, as commented on the word thread' that 'social dancing' is an oxymoron

Still, you are right - this thread is an accurate reflection of the types of people on a social dance floor -and one of the reasons 'social dancing' is interesting. Basically, its a micrososm of people that you do not come accross in your dainly life because that is usually (excepting some professions) preselected.

5. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Why so?

6. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Well-Known Member

Ditto to wooh. Why? :)
    I think there's been a bit of self-selection. The people posting on this thread may tend to be a bit more passionate about their views of social dancing than the average dancer.

7. fascination

partner dancing is social...by definition...granted some social interactions are dysfunctional....but...it is social

8. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

"Social dancing" sometimes becomes a catch-all phrase to describe anything that is not

- a lesson
    - a class
    - partner practice during general studio hours
    - a competition run through
    - a competition
    - a performance rehearsal
    - a performance

...realistically, there's a lot left over to put under this label!

9. fascination

and yet...if it is partner dancing it is social...where there are two people there is a social dynamic...whether it is acknowleged or not...it is still a dynamic

10. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I think what is most important is that the goal of dancing is to have fun!
    It should be a positive experience for both the beginner and the advanced dancer.

We have to recognize that often one of the key ingredients in both good dancing and fun dancing is an openness of the mind to confidence and enjoyment. If this is present for both dancers, even of different levels, its going to be worthwhile.

Now, when it comes to the dynamic created with mixing social dancers and competitive dancers, it is relatively common to see some friction. I think this is the result of the lack of openness, and people on both sides need to learn to relax and enjoy. :)

11. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Yawn... :kitty:

12. fascination

13. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

would you do me a favor and clarify something? you mentioned taking ballroom as well as west coast swing classes. was this problem you mentioned happening with ballroom dances or primarily in WCS?

thanks.

14. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

People learn? Say it ain't so!

15. Ballroom. I haven't taken a class (excepting the odd workshop) in WCS in over a year now.