General Dance Discussion > software to rip or copy instructional DVD

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by freeageless, Aug 13, 2012.

1. freeageless

freeageless Active Member

I am not very computer savvy. Thus, I do have a question about ripping or copying an instructional DVD to my hard drive. I have some instructional DVD's ie., Dance Vision. I note that on the DVD it states words to the effect that it cannot be used for commercial purposes. It does not state that it cannot be ripped or copied to my hard-drive for my personal use. Therefore, I assume that I can copy or rip the DVD to my hard-drive for personal use. I do not like having to put the Dance Vision instructional DVD into my computer each time I would like to use it. I was wondering if some persons would happen to know of some software-preferably free, that would allow me to download some of the patterns on that DVD to my hard-drive, or would I have to download the entire DVD to my hard-drive? I do not need to download the entire DVD-just some of the patterns.

2. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

What I've got, off the top of my head, will help you copy the entire disc...

3. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Handbrake.

4. freeageless

Joe, thank you. Is that one fairly simple to figure out, and are there any others that you know of that you recommend? :D

5. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Pretty simple, IMO.

6. freeageless

Joe, thanks. I just downloaded Handbrake and tried to put some of the patterns from the Dance Vision DVD on my hard-drive, and it would not work. The sound comes out garbled, and the pictures are too blurry to hardly see. I don't know if I am doing something wrong, or if Dance Vision puts some kind of protection on their DVD's I don't know about. :confused:

7. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Must not be due to handbrake. Perhaps your video player got a weak chest. Have you got an mp2-player?

Transcoding is a science of it´s own. Sometimes you have to try out all the options :(

Start with
    video: .mp4 format, large file size, mp4 codec, FPS same as source, QP 14
    audio: same as source

if it still isn´t what you want, you have to go to the support page https://forum.handbrake.fr

8. freeageless

Opendoor, thank you. I tried that and it still did not work. I did call Dance Vision, and I asked them about it. They stated that they have special protection built into their instructional DVD's to prevent persons from copying it to their computers. They stated they did that because they did not know if the person or persons was really doing it for their private use or for commercial use. She did state a computer expert might be able to do it, but she stated since I was not, I would not be able to do it. :(

9. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

pretty much what I was going to say.... DanceVision has always had especially strong protection for their videos.

10. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Some teachers like Andy Wong (Standard only) have instructional video downloads for sale, but I see DV doesn't do that yet. I assume you do not want a subscription to online vids like ballroomdancers.com (they don't have instructional videos available yet anyway).

Pity, because carrying DVDs around can be a PITA (and many ppl are of the opinion that BlueRay and DVDs are obsolete already).

11. Larinda McRaven

I agree. If I can't put it on an external drive and take it with me... it hasn't been watched in ages.

12. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Random addendum: If you're taking private lessons, perhaps an instructor would be willing to dance some of the DVIDA syllabi steps and you could record it. Won't match your DVDs exactly, but...

13. clumsy fellow

clumsy fellow Active Member

Handbrake is hit or miss with DVIDA... Try Wondershare.

14. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

I have found the process for ripping DV DVD's for backup relatively painful. I can only do it on a Linux box.

15. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

16. Larinda McRaven

DISCLAIMER: (Just a small note, to cover DFs behind...)

The DMCA prohibits the ripping of DVDs that have DRM or any form of DRM on it like CSS, so make sure you only rip DVDs that don’t have content protection.

Dance Forums does not endorse or condone the use of this thread, or the products mentioned herein, as a way to illegally rip DVDs.

If you decide to proceed with ripping a DVD, illegally, you do so at your own risk.

17. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I work in Arlington. PM me.

18. freeageless

Joe, thanks. I just sent you a PM.

19. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I'm with Larinda on this one. Copying files is very, very iffy, from a legal perspective. Exchanging advice on how to do it puts DF on shaky ground, IMHO. PMs work, IMHO.