Country and Western > Solo Western/Cowboy?

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by Poniak, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Poniak

Poniak New Member

I know very little about dancing, and of course would like too (specifically Country Western), so here I am.

I have sifted through the forum, and haven't found any information on Solo Western Dancing, that isn't line dancing. This probably is more because I don't know the proper terminologies then it actually not being here. Is there any way to learn dances like the one on the movie "8 seconds" (Wedding Scene)? Or any sort of Cowboy Western influenced solo moves......

If this makes any sense. Anyways any help will be appreciated, as well as any lingo corrections.

Cheers.

2. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Buy digital camera that captures video clips.
    Just clips, now, mind you. We can sample, and even share 30 seconds of music, legally.
    Never learned if we can "sample" movies, or how much for personal use.
    Maybe I'll learn something here.
    Rent movie.
    I missed this one. I miss a lot of movies these days. I'd rather be dancing.
    But I may look at this one.

"Best Little Whore House in Texas" has a good dance scene where the men dance solo. Some old time foot stompin' there, mixed in with broadway style movements.

One of the Davey Crockett movies has Buddy Ebsen dancing on a dock or river raft (keelboat) on the Ohio River in "Davy Crockett and the River Pirates" (1956), doin' that old time stuff. I think it was that film.

Get it?

3. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Early solo dancing was composed mostly of extemporaneous jigging done by men. The term "jig" has been used to describe various forms of solo dance steps, as well as music, and has not been well defined. Jigs, clogs, shuffles, leaps, heel clicking, hornpipes, and other step dances may have come from various ethnic tradtions, or nothing more than an individual improvisation. Other early terms used to describe either solo dancing or steps done as part of a circle or square dance were buck-and-wing, flat-footing, double shuffle, hoedown, and breakdown.[14][15]
    "Making the splinters fly" along with rapid clatter and thumping was often heard at frontier parties, either as side entertainment at the dance parties, or in contests. A Texan "stag dance" held in 1829 included jigs and hornpipes accompanied by patting juba.[16] Music was often provided by fiddlers, many of whom were black, or with improvised "instruments": clevis and pin, scraping on a cotton hoe with a knife, patting of the foot, blowing on a comb through a thin piece of paper, tapping against drinking glasses, or even blowing on a peach leaf. Military bands and string bands were used in larger towns and/or on special occasions.[17]
    "Frolics" were community events often associated with events such as corn shucking, house raising, etc, with a feast and dancing at the end of the labors. A fiddler, often a black man, was the main source of music for dance music. The banjo, too, derived from earlier African instruments, was also important. Reels, square dances, waltzes, polkas and other couple dances were performed with a spirit of freedom and improvisation, "all so mingled that it is a dance without name".[18]
    "House parties" featuring music and dancing were common in the South through the 1920s, the dawn of commercialized country music. Popular tunes played by fiddlers such as The Sailor's Hornpipe, or "The Virginia Reel" were increasingly divorced from the dances that bore the same names.[19]

4. kayak

kayak Active Member

Hi Poniak,

Take a look at the United Country Western Dance Council site at www.ucwdc.org. They also put a lot of videos up on Youtube of performances. Anyway, under the line dance category, they have whole divisions for solo line dances. From what you described, it might fit the bill.