General Dance Discussion > Son of So---How Was Your Dance Weekend?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Phil Owl, Feb 8, 2009.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

trying to creak and crawl my way through practicing tonight in case the roads are passable enough to take my lessons tomorrow...and boy am I sore

2. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

Belated (sometimes it's tough to find time to post) but here it is ...

Last weekend we spent Saturday at a folk dance institute / dinner / party. I really enjoy these larger gatherings. The institute included a selection of teachers from different areas reviewing favorite dances ... no master teachers ... relaxed and fun. Live music during dinner ... great stuff, had to get up and move a little. It was an "all-request" party, so the program reflected the tastes of the participants. Different areas have slightly different repertoires, so I didn't recognize everything ... if it looked easy I joined in, if not I had fun watching.

Since Saturday was completely shot and we had to take care of basic housekeeping on Sunday, we skipped our group lesson. Our friends had invited us to a holiday party and going to the lesson would have made us late. Since we left early anyway to go to a WCS party, arriving late was not really an option.

As it was, we missed the lesson at the beginning of the WCS party, I had really wanted to see the guest teacher. :(

This was the first time we had ever stayed to the end of the party ... usually we get tired early and start thinking about having to get up at O-dark-thirty the next morning for work. But we had more energy than usual because we had arrived late.

We had one very amusing moment ... usually the crowd does WCS to absolutely everything unless it's announced as NC2S or Country 2S or waltz. DH and I will do the occasional cha cha or rumba if we feel like it, and it doesn't bother anyone. But one number felt way too much like a foxtrot for me to WCS to it. So we started to do foxtrot around all the WCS couples, and by the end of the music there were 7 couples doing foxtrot (DH counted).:p

3. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

+1

Christmas dance party Friday night, private lesson Saturday. Elected to lard out on Sunday aside from some Christmas shopping - found a reasonably-priced Northface pullover for DS2.

4. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

It was fun! A crowded dance floor. Some people folding into their social dancing some of the things they are doing for the Winter Show showcases. Making the floor "friendly" before they have to go under the spotlight for everyone to see...

5. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Well-Known Member

So after a few weeks of letting my dancing suffer the unfortunate effects of romantic drama.... I had two very very good nights of dancing in a row. Drama free, alcohol free, blissful, joyful, great dancing :)

6. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Yeah. Losing oneself to the music, the energy of the crowd, and wanting it to last forever...

7. soshedances

soshedances Active Member

Sounds absolutely wonderful!

8. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

Tonight at Atlanta Ballroom Dance Club was sheer joy, lots of Christmas cheer, MANY fun dances, and best yet, getting to see a wonderful lady I hadn't seen in months. My heart leapt for joy when I saw her again for the first time since May. Her dancing was as great as ever despite the fact she hadn't danced in months.

9. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Well-Known Member

Some good dances at my original salsa place which I haven't been to in two months. The floor is sticky, especially compared to the Friday night venue's glossy concrete floor.

10. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Passed on dancing yesterday to catch another new movie...

11. CANI

CANI Active Member

It really does! Sounds like many DF-ers are having great social dancing experiences -- very nice!

12. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Indeed!

13. Phil Owl

This past weekend was really wonderful for me, especially the Atlanta Ballroom Dance Club event on Saturday. You could really feel the joy in the room from everyone just so happy and grateful to get out again after a paralyzing ice storm. My personal highlight was getting to do a sensuous, expressive Rumba with competitive dancer Vanessa Rogers, that was a real treat for me! [​IMG]

Sunday afternoon @ Waltz Play was great fun too, got to see some folks I hadn't seen in weeks, and the same kind of joy and relief after having cabin fever.

14. major swing

major swing Member

social dance for us on friday night, nice crowd, mainly thirtries and forties swing and ballroom, a real relaxed night........... bit of charleston practice sunday afternoon, about to start a 2 hour lindy session at home........
    towels and water at the ready!!!!!

15. CANI

CANI Active Member

Sounds absolutely perfect, Phil!!

16. CANI

CANI Active Member

Nice! I've never seen lindy danced live...would love to at some point...glad you had a weekend of dance!

17. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Sounds like you had a lot of fun, major swing! :cheers:

18. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

+1 :cheers:

19. Phil Owl

Dancing is undoubtedly the world's best cure for cabin fever too :mrgreen:

20. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Good latin dance in Syracuse Friday night. Some good cuban salsa....saturday...not so good...floor was sticky and dj hopeless...Sunday....checked out the blues nighta bs heard last week was great...only a few people...too bad....