General Dance Discussion > Son of So---How Was Your Dance Weekend?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Phil Owl, Feb 8, 2009.

1. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Meh, went to a social alone Friday night since DP didn't get back into town until late Saturday. Babysat GS1 and GS2 on Sunday, so we missed a tea dance and had to take DS2 back to college yesterday, so there wasn't much dancing.

2. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

You just reminded me of something, there is this one couple here in Atlanta that I LOVE watching do Salsa, the husband is a native Cuban.

3. someoldsong

someoldsong New Member

Well though I know a new weekend is about to start, figured I would say something about my last dance weekend. We had a seminar for all the dance teacher in our region ( SC,NC,TN,GA,AL, etc). It went great. Friday night we had a dance party which was mostly west coast with a live band called Too Much Silvia. plenty of good dancers kept me entertained the whole night. Saturday all day I had workshops to go to for smooth and rhythm. The two teachers were 3 time 9Dance champions and were absolutely amazing. learned some pretty cool tricks. Then saturday night we had a party with a DJ who played some decent tunes, mostly cha cha's and west coast but plenty of rumba, salsa, hustle and even a few smooth dances too. Probably the most productive and inspiring dance weekend I have ever had

4. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

I thoroughly enjoyed an evening of dancing yesterday...

5. CANI

CANI Active Member

Wow! Very nice -- especially the inspiring part. Wonderful!!

6. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

someoldsong, that all sounds amazing! :cheers:

7. major swing

major swing Member

sounds like my kinda night......................:)

8. major swing

major swing Member

weve had a big weekend, and intend to crash and burn early tonight!!!
    big bags under the eyes...................
    friday night, social dancing, thirties/forties, plus i was dj ing....... early hours
    saturday, hollywood style lindy practice in the afternoon, swing dance in the evening, early hours,
    sunday night(and we never go out sunday usually) live jive night in nottingham with a great band, playing jive, salsa, swing lindy etc etc, into bed at 1.00, and out to work early this morning. now im about to start hollywood
    lindy practice for an hour, then its bed time....... real early!!!!!!
    amazing weekend, met some real nice folks, made new friends, seen some real good latin american dancers, which we dont do but can apreciate............

sooo much dancing to fit in, so little time.....

9. Phil Owl

Change of pace tonight, went to the Country Western Social Club dance in Atlanta, tons of WCS and Two-Step (which I can just about get through now, still got a ways to go). All told had a great time, and a couple real encouraging Two-Step partners especially kept me going and gain enough confidence to Two-Step more. :mrgreen: Had a WONDERFUL WCS partner several times that fueled my creativity too.

10. Phil Owl

Don't you just LOVE when that happens? :cheers:

11. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

Good! Went to a live music milonga, had a great time. Saw a friend there, danced with the gf, good time was had by all.

12. Phil Owl

Also had a wonderful Sunday afternoon with them waltzers :D

The final dance of the afternoon was my favorite, this one lady who just gets so creative and inspires me to pull things out of the hat. LOVE IT!

13. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Well-Known Member

Thursday was a great night of salsa, but admittedly I've become jaded about my local scene, writing off every venue except that Thursday night one, because it is consistently good and the others can be hit or miss. So I skipped Friday night. Saturday I barely even considered going out because this venue had been consistently slow and unpopular among dancers for a while now.

My assumption was wrong, as it turned out to be the best night of salsa in my city in at least a year, from what I've heard from those who did attend. I was actually very upset about this. But I think it's my karma. I've been so negative about the salsa scene, all I talk about is wanting good dances with good partners, and refusing to go out to a venue that I don't consistently have a good experience at. I deserved what I got as a result of my poor attitude.

I went to a salsa social last night. The dj is not very educated when it comes to salsa music and played a lot of cumbia and salsa that had an unusually fast tempo or a beat that was hard to hear, even for me, and there were a lot of beginner dancers. She also played a rumba, a hustle, two bachatas, 3 chachas, one merenge. If I don't count the cumbias as salsas (which they are not) there was very little salsa at this "salsa social". It was disappointing to pay a cover expecting salsa and getting almost none.

14. major swing

major swing Member

this weekend

no dances this weekend, just practicing at home......... balboa sat,
    lindy sunday......... and a bit of ballroom for the fun of it!!!!!!!
    my waltz is coming on well...............

15. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

The Friday night dance party was lots of fun. The DJ is relatively new, and she has infused lots of new music into the event...

16. someoldsong

someoldsong New Member

Thursday and Friday I had two coaches in the studio by the names of Paul and Caroline Millington. They reall got me ramped up and gave me some great pointers for the upcoming competitions we are entered in. His outlook on West coast really broadened my horizons too.

Friday night had a dance/farewell party at the studio. One of the other teachers was transferring to a studio in Tennesee. Then had some coachings with Paul and Caroline after that. Didnt leave till around 2am!

Saturday night, we took a group of friends to the National (carolina)Shag Competition and 2001 in North Myrtle Beach. Festivities were great. Met Austin Pope(junior 1 national champ, true delight to watch) and Sam West( Shag LEGEND, national pro and overall champ). True gentleman, told me to call him for some coachings to help me prepare for other shag competitions.

was at the studio about 10 hours yesterday which was so tiring but so helpful as well. looking forward to my future as a teacher and pro :)

17. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Got led into Wing. :shock: :razz:

18. someoldsong

someoldsong New Member

Had a social party on friday at work, then did some practice/training sessions for a few hours on saturday morning. Went down to Fat Harolds on saturday night and met alot of new people. Was encouraged to enter the Grand Nationals in Atlanta. Now Im talking with some friends on how to get there and who's all going :)

19. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Very nice social in the city. With birthday cake! DP and I knocked a little rust off since she's been ill or traveling a lot the past month and a half.

20. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Been going to a different venue lately as the one I was going to has lost something; among other things I don't care for the music selections which is an opinion shared by others as well.

The one I've been attending does have a better atmosphere and I've had a great time. Think they made need to make it larger should attendance grow; it is rather small.

Not going as much to WCS dances. Much as I love and enjoy the dance I find that I get bored with doing just one dance.