General Dance Discussion > Son of So---How Was Your Dance Weekend?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Phil Owl, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Last night's Usadance a little low on attendance, but there are graduations going on.

2. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

TC, first I thought you got gas from the Jersey style pizza! OK, fasc beat me to the only in Jersey and Oregon deal. Meanwhile, thanks for the reminder of the difference between East Coast and - the rest of the country except maybe Chicago? - pizza and "Italian" food in general (though can't say much about Bay Area Italian).

3. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Went with a friend toa milonga two hours drive away..she drove roughly halfway, and bumped into two of my favourite ladies...

and had a nice compliment from someone who I had never danced with before.

"I've never danced milonga like that before! you were dancing to every little rhythm, and you obviously know the music!"

ocean-daughter likes this.
  4. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Well-Known Member

Stayed at my cousin's in Manhattan and while walking around, decided to stop by Ballroom Off Fifth and then Manhattan Ballroom. I thought space in Silicon Valley was expensive... I will no longer complain about inadequate short walls, here in California...

3wishes and MaggieMoves like this.
  5. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

<koff> Manhattan?

6. Grateful

Grateful New Member

Our studio had a themed dance party & my husband & I won "Best Costume". I didn't get a pic because I took it off as soon as I could cos it was really hot.

7. tancos

tancos Active Member

Do you mean hot thermally or hot sexy?

8. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Or both???

9. Grateful

Grateful New Member

Hot thermally. The theme was the "Top Hat" movie with Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers from 1937. So long, flowy, feathers galore. I even had lace gloves on.

Loki and cornutt like this.
  10. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Well-Known Member

A bit late posting, but since dance weekends have been few and far between lately...

Skipped the Friday night "ugly sweater" holiday party. The studio flooded a few weeks ago, and we're operating on a 21' x 21' portable floor. I haven't been to a party since, but was especially bummed to miss this one because I had originally planned to do a routine with my pro and a routine with my am partner.

Anyways... got up early on Saturday, drove a couple of hours to another city where my pro teaches Saturdays and Sundays. Danced through my Smooth on a decent sized floor (although not as big as we had before the flood!), really enjoyed it. Then went to another studio to take coaching with a visiting coach. Very helpful, since he's tall, we're tall, and most of the people we take coaching from are shorter. Then went to another studio for three lessons -- my second visit to that particular pro, worked on international and american waltz, really really love how much he's asking of me. Drove home, made it for dinner with DH and our kiddos. Awesome day, slept VERY well!!

Terpsichorean Clod and 3wishes like this.
  11. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

Better than usual, I'd say.
    Went to a ball yesterday. There were free seats, so I sat. The music was uninspiring, I decided to leave before the end. There were one or two followers available, so I had one dance, and it was because I was leaving that I issued an invite, not because the music had improved anyhow. Round-trip time by subway was a bit longer than the time spent at the ball, but not by much.

12. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Judged my first competition yesterday - a small, local, 18-and-under, pre-champ and below event. Latin and standard... lots of solo competitions, some in couples. Not sure that I was really qualified to be judging anything above about silver latin... but hey, I was free. (Well, I did get fed. And take home a bottle of wine.)

Good times though, and a valuable learning experience for me (as a dancer, I mean. No plans to become a judge anytime soon!)

13. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

Did some social dancing last night. I didn't really pay attention to the male-female ratio, but I know there were some VERY proficient male leaders there. I did not dance once as a follower - all the dances I did were as a leader. Among those I danced with, there were 3 women who hunted ME down to ask me to dance with them - one was women I've known for a long time, one that I know takes group lessons who is a beginner, and one who was a total stranger and who had no dance experience. I don't think any of them asked any of the male leaders to dance. So, all-in-all I'm kind of pleased that I seem to be in demand.

14. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

Went out Latin dancing on Saturday with my date after a quick dinner. Ended up doing mostly salsa, but the last song of the night was a cha cha to "I like I like that." My legs & hips are still spasming from just how fast he was playing it.

Thankfully having a very quiet Monday. :oops:

I think my boss can see me dragging my feet. :confused:

15. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Well-Known Member

If I'm ever in your area, I will definitely hunt you down to lead me.

Cal and RiseNFall like this.
  16. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

Cool!

17. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

Pretending I was an intermediate, I went to a workshop for intermediate pupils. It did not take too long before the teachers became suspiscious.

18. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

Wearing a few hats, I DJ-ED for a dance group and it went over quite well, people doing Waltz to Kate Bush and Ben Folds Five, EC Swing to Steely Dan, Hustle to Cher, Cha-Cha to Earth Wind and Fire and more. I also gave a half hour lesson called 5 Easy Pieces, where I taught folks how to do some turns that looked difficult but really weren't ( A couple Illusion Turns, a couple Shadow Turns and Swinging Door) , plus being on the board of directors for WaltzPlay, we just had elections for new members, a lot to sort through and all that, didn't get to dance as much as I would've liked, but did OK nonetheless.

19. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

So far the weekend not going so well. Tonight I was a yankee. None of the better follows showed up at the studio party, what did show up were women who think my frame is an anchor for them to power there own movement. Use your feet!!! And these are women who are not new dancers.

Actually had a better time dancing with a raw newbie. Did a waltz with her, was able to gradually increase the complexity and she kept up without pushing me, pulling me, or hanging on me. And "raw newbie" ---> zero waltz lessons.

20. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Wish I had a dance weekend... been on planes the last three Fridays.