General Dance Discussion > Son of So---How Was Your Dance Weekend?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Phil Owl, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Having decided not to attend the dance at this year's 4th of July convention in Phoenix I changed my mind and did so; this after having a bad week at work. More people than last year, but not as many as in past years. Was great fun, that and a dance I went to the night before. Glad I changed my mind.

2. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

Although I did not dance, my dance weekend was fantastic. I was treated to a great weekend of top notch dancers. It was a great treat for me to watch such incredible dancing, especially Saturday night's pro standard event. I was left speechless. Thank you who danced for filling my soul with dance.

3. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

Went to a social last night, even had the opportunity to teach some basic swing, rumba and foxtrot steps to 3 college age women who were brand new to the world of ballroom dancing (a whole group of them came to the studio feeling a bit adventurous). Had some good dances, especially a Hustle with a finale that my partner gave me a lot of compliments on.:D

Tonight, I'm going to the pre-opening party for Daza Dance's new location in Buckhead (they bought the space that used to be Take Hold Ballroom which definitely makes me very happy, can't have enough places to dance here in Atlanta). Looking forward! :mrgreen:

4. Phil Owl

Tonight's dance-floor time at the new Buckhead location of Daza Dance was very fun. Made all the more cooler by a pro-competitor (who gave a great Cha-Cha performance earlier in the night) who ASKED ME to do Salsa with her! I was honored and blown away and it was THE MOST fun Salsa I've experienced in ages. Got a lot of compliments on my energy and moves and that meant a lot coming from a dancer of her insanely high caliber! :notworth::-D

5. Phil Owl

A monthly event @ Academy Ballroom last night. This time the AC worked beautifully and I had a TON of great dances. One was particularly bittersweet for me though. A partner I hadn't seen for about 3 years, a delightful young Japanese woman named Courtney was there, my eyes lit up at the sight of her. She LOVES dancing Hustle with me especially. Well, in any case, we got to do that (and Cha-Cha) together again. She just graduated from Emory and is now moving to Boston next week to take a position with Boston College. I'm sure gonna miss that girl, she was an AMAZING dancer to put it mildly.

Also had a bunch of fun and exhilarating dances with a woman named Patti who just started coming to a bunch of the local dance events (met her for the first time last week @ Atlanta Ballroom Dance Club) an absolutely LOVELY person. She was even grabbing me for dances, and she's actually got me to Tango too, one of the few dances I've never been totally confident with (along with West Coast Swing). but somehow, Patti got me to charge forth (the basic step somehow makes me think of a panther sneaking up on it's prey). And a night wouldn't be complete without Gail and her husband burning up the floor with some Salsa. Gail and I did some Cha-Cha earlier on (always fun!) As I was saying goodbye to them for the night, . Gail just poured on the compliments, saying she LOVED my rhythm and timing a lot and how I stayed on rhythm (something she says a lot of guys have trouble with).

A good night I'd say.:mrgreen:

6. TangoRocks

TangoRocks Member

Friday, survived another party at an independent studio by judiciously dancing with people I know who can do American Style, and dancing cha-cha/slow waltz with the people I don't know (hence most likely International Style students, since that's what that studio specializes in)

Tonight, just came back from a couple of hours of social dancing, so, in general, not too bad a weekend even though I was too lazy to go swing dancing on Saturday night... :cool:

7. Laurie

Laurie New Member

I had a wonderful time at a larger social ballroom event last night, in a beautiful setting. There were so many great area dancers there. I felt so inspired by the beauty of it all.

8. Phil Owl

Had a WONDERFUL time @ a social last night! And got to do some Tango too, something I've been a bit reticent about up until recently, but it was REALLY fun, my partner was such a joy so that helped.

Going for Round Two tonight. same locale :mrgreen:

9. Phil Owl

One of those things that keeps me coming back for more.:D

10. TangoRocks

TangoRocks Member

Dance weekend you say? Mine was aborted at the launchpad, lol, got paged for work a couple of hrs before the dance party, ended up working until 3 am! Hoping maybe I can sneak out on Sunday for another social, though, pager-permitting ;)

11. Phil Owl

Saturday night's time was , meh, save for a few good dances with a couple familiar faces, very few people there so I left uncharacteristically early.

HOWEVER, today's Sunday Social more than made up for it, LOTS of fun dances, and I'm even getting the wherewithal to attack Tango, and you know, that dance is really starting to grow on me. Had such a great time I didn't want it to end. Even got to chat with this one couple who compete and teach (both AMAZING dancers especially when it comes to Latin, WCS, Hustle and Two-Step) and told them how much I LOVED watching them dance, how much they inspired me and how watching them dance was like going to school for me, they really appreciated that. I also asked them if the difficulty I have with getting the hang of WCS was unusual, they both laughed and smiled, and reassured me that WCS really is NOT an easy dance to learn, they had a long battle with it themselves before it started to click, THAT gave me some hope.:)

Also noticed, a guy who was trying to teach his girlfriend to dance for the first time, isn't it usually the other way around? :nope:

12. TangoRocks

TangoRocks Member

Sounds like you had a blast, and yay for Tango!!!

Now that's funny--how was he doing? Unless I meet my next gf in the dance scene, I have a feeling I'll be that guy at one point too, so... ;)

13. Phil Owl

The guy was actually very good!

14. Phil Owl

At this end, I had THE GREATEST time @ Daza's new Buckhead grand opening, pretty much closed the joint @ midnight! [​IMG]

I lost count of how many people I danced with, but some highlights included:

• Seeing a couple of the old Take Hold folks there like Donna (the feisty strawberry blonde), we got a bunch of Salsa in this time,
    • Danced again with Joy, the Smooth/Standard pro competitor that does a KILLER Foxtrot.And again, she was a joy!
    • Did more Tango too which I am really starting to love now.
    • Met up with a mutual friend of my bandmate from Burgess Penguin, his chiropractor. She and I got in a ton of dances too. She's also a country singer/songwriter (real old-school traditional). She is a larger build but that girl can move! She's a real sweetheart. I may be doing some bass on a couple of her songs in the near future.
    • My Dance With A Pro Competitor For The Week, got to do Hustle with Honey Larsen, who is a KILLER swing dancer/competitor, along with her boyfriend/partner Buddy Stotts (http://atlantadanceinstructor.com/). Buddy was also DJ-ing tonight, and picked a LOT of fun tunes. And get this, Buddy and Honey also do standup comedy together. And Buddy earned himself 5000 bonus cool points for being a longtime fan of the 1960's Batman! [​IMG] That guy just had me busting up laughing something fierce!
    • Still can't believe I danced as much as I did and DIDN'T get winded at all. Still flying! TONS of great dances ensued with many folks. [​IMG]
    • A BEAUTIFUL performance by a young competing couple too.
    ODDITIES:

• Did a couple dances with this one woman who was more than a slight bit energetic, almost too much, to the point she almost ripped my little finger out of its socket. had to gently tell her a couple times she was being a bit rough, I know she didn't mean to as she was obviously enjoying dancing to its fullest.
    • Went through THREE SHIRTS, that NEVER happens [​IMG], the A/C wasn't quite up to snuff Good thing I pack an extra in my shoe bag. Of course, the humidity here has been BRUTAL and still is.
    Now that Daza's settling in, they'll be doing regular events on the second Saturday of each month, you can bet I'll be there! Funny thing is, I'm actually feeling a slight bit thinner now and STILL amped up.

15. Phil Owl

Had a blast tonight @ Academy ballroom! THE HIGHLIGHT was getting to dance Hustle with pro teacher/competitor Rachel Jones, THAT GIRL CAN TWIRL!!!!! :notworth::rocker::grin:

16. CANI

CANI Active Member

I'm in heaven...also in beyond excrutiating pain...but in heaven...was covering the door for the social this evening as owners are away...with no plans to dance -- didn't even bring shoes because of my pain/physical issues -- but then excess of men...and especially a new leader who has been dancing longer than I've been alive -- wowza! I borrowed shoes and danced. And all the pain in the world was worth it. Also received such unexpected and wonderful compliments that I have regained faith (that I had all but lost) that my hiatus has not sent me back to complete square one.

I will resolve my physical issues and I will be able to dance again without excrutiating pain/damaging myself because it is just not a full life without dance...no amount of reading about it or studying it takes the place of that indescribable feeling of complete wonderfulness that comes from dancing.

<<contented sigh>> <<scream of pain>> <<contented sigh>>

17. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Glad you had such a great time, but oh, that pain -- hope you get this resolved soon. Isn't it amazing how it doesn't hurt when you're dancing, only when you stop?
    And btw, I have never been to a social where there's an excess of men, so do me a favor and lmk where this is? If it's in striking distance, I'm there, next time...

18. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

It's amazing what remains in muscle memory even after years ... almost 20 years in my case. There's hope for the dancer who returns after a hiatus. But ... there may be a stretch after the euphoric discovery that all was not lost, but before you're completely back in your normal pattern, when you begin to re-think every move and you feel like a beginner again. It's a relatively short period in the grand scheme of things, but to me it was worse than being a real beginner because I "knew" I should be able to do things that were beyond my ability for the time being. Don't be discouraged.

I do hope you are able to resolve your physical issues soon. Good luck ....

19. CANI

CANI Active Member

Thanks so much! I really did have a great time. Dancing does have that magic effect of being so unbelievably wonderful that it is easy for all those good feelings to drown out even intense pain!

I will pm you...:D

20. CANI

CANI Active Member

Thanks so much. I really appreciate this advice, especially since it comes from your experience -- it will help me to keep things in perspective and not get discouraged!