General Dance Discussion > Songs You Just HAVE to Dance To

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Phil Owl, Mar 22, 2003.

1. Adwiz

Adwiz New Member

With my iTunes library of dance music nearing 1000 songs, it can be hard to pick (all legal, I should point out).

My favorites at this time:

Samba: Ooh La La by Chicadee
    Cha Cha: Arriba by Joee
    Jive: Jack is Back by The Clan
    Rumba: Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps (Quizas Quizas Quizas) by Doris Day (from the motion picture soundtrack for Strictly Ballroom)

Slow Waltz: Fascination by Al Martino
    Viennese Waltz: Hijo de la Luna by Maria Ines
    Quickstep: Shall We Dance by the Surprise Orchestra
    Slow Foxtrot: Fly Me to the Moon by Frank Sinatra
    Tango: Hey Sexy Lady by Shaggy

2. dnquark

dnquark New Member

Ok, since I used to be collecting dance music obsessively I'll pitch in a few of my faves:

Lindy:
    Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Queen
    Stray Cat Strut - Stray Cats

Waltz (Viennese):
    Nara - E.S. Posthumus (entrancing, very awesome)
    Hijo de la Luna - Mecano
    Erin Shore - The Corrs
    Drought - Vienna Teng

Waltz (Cross-step):
    The Chase - Emer Kenny
    Spiderdust - Bel Canto
    Lay Me Down - Happy Rhodes
    Kiss From a Rose - Seal

Hustle:
    Nothing Really Matters (instrumental version) - Madonna
    Tears of Pearls - Savage Garden

Cha-cha:
    Smooth - Santana
    Short Skirt, Long Jacket - Cake

Salsa:
    La Vida Es Un Carnaval - Celia Cruz

Nightclub Two-Step:
    Building a Mystery - Sarah McLachlan
    Tonight and the Rest of my Life - Nina Gordon

Schottische (yes, it used to be a social dance for me):
    Misery - Green Day

Polka (it should be a social dance everywhere!):
    Bravado - Harmonica Man
    Cotton Eye Joe - Rednex

...Then there are a few lindy tunes that are awesome, but I don't know the names of because I'm so excited after dancing to them that I forget to ask the DJ for the name of the song :D

3. lindy jihad

lindy jihad New Member

i like to lindy hop to lindy music.

4. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

Re: salsa song selection for a solo

George Michael for Mambo? Ummmmmmmmmmm that song has weird breaks in it - it came on the radio the other day, and I was thinking.. I wonder what you could do to *that*.... Mambo did not come to mind, but I can see your instructor's point.

King Chango has an excellent cha-cha-cha. They are more of a ska/punk band, but one of their songs is just right.... I'll have to dig out the CD...

For an eye-catching Mambo, try Brian Setzer's version of "In the Mood" from the "Vavoom!" album. I swear it's a Mambo - really! I'm the queen of dancing to "weird" music... LOL 8)

5. DancingMommy

Which One? There are two - one is Black Machine's "Jazz Machine" - they really slowed it down for the movie and the other one is a Brazilian song "Magalenha" I think is the name. I only know its Brazilian becuase it's in Portuguese... 8) The first one is kinda techno a little, the other is more authentic (at least according to my Brazilian friends).

6. DancingMommy

I concur, although MY favorite is the Quickstep - Happy Feet - that can only be found on the compilation "Something for Everybody" by Baz Luhrman. It's way cool! 8)

7. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Anyone see the video of R.Kelly - Step In The Name Of Love . . . What is the dance they're doing? Just some dance pattern? It's almost WCS, w/o the slot.

I think it's just the song, but I learned it, the moves at least and the alternative moves that some are doing, whatever they're doing. I still need to put it all together. Quite easy . . .

8. suek

suek New Member

It's called Chicago Steppin'. I've been learning it from DNice here in Sacramento (I beat you to this reply, Damon?). And yes, you can do just about any move to it, inside the six-count pattern. Can be danced to R&B or hiphop. It has changed me from someone who cringed when hiphop was played to someone who jumps up and steps to it.

Another cool thing is that you can dance it partnered or not...so in Florida last week I found myself dancing in a little circle with three other women. Nice.

9. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Absolutely kewl . . . thanks suek.

I've read where he has posted about Chicago Steppin' . . . was wondering what he was talking about. I love the dance . . .

Are you taking any Lindy from him? I plan to take some after the holidays . . . maybe I'll fine tune this one as well!

I love dancing to hip hop . . . the music just gets me going . . . and I'm much older than most on DF . . .

10. suek

suek New Member

Yeah I take a little lindy from DNice (grinning). I take--most recently--three classes a week that he teaches at a local studio: lindy/charleston, hiphop and balboa. I also take two-three privates a month with him.

So yeah, I study with him some. I've actually been studying with him for over a year (maybe 18 months). Added the privates in the fall, so I've been working pretty hard. I'm editing this to add that he is responsible, to a large extent, for making my lindy hop what it is today. Which mostly means drilling the bad habits out of me and replacing them with better basics. And teaching me much about musicality and what swings and what does not. For which I am very grateful. He has also encouraged me to study with other teachers, take workshops, go to camps; which I do.

And yet my social dancing still sucks. Oops sorry--some of that ol' negativity slipped right in there. Oh well.

11. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Thanks again suek . . . I was convinced he knew what he was talking about just by reading what how he writes!

I'm anxious to get started in Lindy with him . . .

By the way . . . where do you live and where do you go dancing around the area???

12. suek

suek New Member

Vince, see the local calendar (http://swingsacto.merluv.com/phpbb2/calendar.php--I apologize I tried to make this a live link and failed...someone tell me how to do this again please) for info on the Tower (Wednesdays) and the Grad (Sundays) and Swingtime at the Spotlight (2nd and 4th Saturdays).

Sue

13. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Thanks again Sue . . .

I'll check out the sites that you sent . . .