Speed dancing

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Terpsichorean Clod, May 1, 2012.

1. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Whaaaa...?

Speed Dancing: America's Newest Dating Craze
    http://www.weekenddating.com/speeddancing.shtml
    http://vivabrisvegas.com/speeddancing.html

2. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Member

Speed dancing?
    No prob.
    Jitterbug tonight, mixture of CW Swing, 2-Step & Polka likely on Thursday, maybe even a few VW's.
    Speed dating?
    No thx.
    Went to 1 such event several years ago, by invite.
    Very narrow age range, for 'professionals' (their definition, not mine).
    Present, besides myself:
    1 attractive but married hostess
    2 women (not my type) with their noses so far up in the air, they couldn't see the horizon
    6 men, apparently there for the laughs

3. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

What I'm curious is, beginner men aren't gonna be able to dance and talk at the same time...or at least do both of them well.

4. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Hah. While I'm a long (LONG) way from a top level dancer, I'm not really a beginner either. And I have to admit that my attempts to talk and dance at the same time still generally end poorly.

5. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Member

Check it: Dancing (on a crowded floor), talking, chewing gum and simultaneously adjusting my partner's outfit to guard against wardrobe malfunction.

6. Sooooo...they've invented the dance mixer?

7. mjnemeth

mjnemeth Member

LOL, yes, but sounds more like a typical group lesson followed by a type of mixer!

8. bia

bia Well-Known Member

I think it's pretty clever, actually -- a regular group lesson, but with a group selected to be evenly gender-balanced and made up just of singles, followed by a normal speed-dating round where people can talk, so you don't have to try to really converse during the lesson. Ups the odds for meeting someone to date at your dance class, and adds an interesting activity to potentially mechanical speed dating (plus gives a ready-made topic of conversation for the speed dating portion). Even if single, I wouldn't do it myself, since sparkling small talk isn't my thing, so I'd flop at speed dating of any kind. But still, not a bad idea.

9. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

What she said.

10. So...they invented Contra Dancing? :)