Salsa > Spins, turns and CBLs...

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by squirrel, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Sabor

Sabor New Member

no.. boriken dances power 2..

but yeah.. depending on the speed at which u can turn off a CBL and how many turns u execute could make a little difference to where u start/finish the turning..

but in general.. this is correct

one could also utilize the pauses (beats four and eight) if u want to put in more spins.. or add a vogue or styling in between the 2 sets of 4.. but thats another story..

.. the point is.. its elastic but within limits.. and depends how u want to spin.. speed, style, spot, traveling, one fast followed by one slow.. etc. etc.

2. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

thank you guys for the corrections... I dance power2 as Sabor mentions...

3. squirrel

squirrel New Member

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: Ypur lady love dances ET on 2, then? Am I completely wrong??? :oops: :oops: :roll: :roll: :roll:

4. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Yes squirrel, my lady love dances ET Style...

The difference really isn't all that great where the different styles won't mesh...

5. squirrel

squirrel New Member

I suppose so, otherwise you two wouldn't have matched as well as other DFers who have had the privilege of meeting you told everybody!

I sincerely hope I can meet you two one day myself!

6. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Likewise squirrel! Likewise!!!! :bouncy:

7. tj

tj New Member

So let's see... Raluca's Christmas present list has expanded from a T-shirt and a airplane ticket for Lita, to a NTSC progressive scan DVD player, Sony HDTV big screen, and a US to European power converter...

:wink:

Actually, there's more than one way to do multiple turns. A friend who took lots of classes from Gupson Pierre learned to do doubles on her own, but to rely on the guy to give her the momentum to do triples.

My point? It depends on the instructor and the technique that you learned.

But I agree with what's been said here, especially tsb's suggestion of using those "paddle turns".

Keeping one's center is a key point of spinning. If you can't keep your center balanced, then it doesn't matter if you're doing one or 20. Edie addresses this with her exercise about you finding your center after spinning one or two times.

Also, with the prep, you can use your upper body and arms to help you gain the momentum necessary to propel you thru the spin. With most follows who I'm able to triple spin (in 4 beats), she'll have a big windup before pulling off the triple.

I did dance with this one excellent dancer in Vancouver, who said that she could pull off a quadruple (in 4 beats), but I wasn't able to do it with her. Probably a conflict in technique.

Oh, and if a Follow ends up finishing off her spin into the 1 or 2, that's quite ok. We Leads can play with that just fine.

8. Vin

Vin New Member

Hi TJ, I actually have that happen alot,-the double spin seeps into the 1-2 beat. What I have always done is stay with the music and just sort of shuffle in place on the 1-2 and then continue the basic on the 5-6 as I would if she had made it in time.
    This works with about 10% of the follows. Most seem to want to start stepping back on the 5-6 as if it were the 1-2.
    What would you guys suggest as an appropriate way to handle this?

9. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

I don't know how very much "appropriate" this is, but what It's worked thus far:

If I'm really into keeping the steady back and forth on the same numbers (I usually don't care, if she gets off or I, I'll just keep dancing) I tend to hold her by the waist when she's finished the spins, kind of "stopping" her momentum backwards..

Spin with the right or left hand... Free hand, if I don't keep by her waist, I hold my belt buckle, then as soon as the spins are done, if too early and she has demostarted to get "off" beat, I'll quickly put the hand by the waist and prevent her from moving backwards... While I do some kind of foot work working with the beats until it becomes time to start again...

Another option is to give an embrace hold when she comes off the spins, moving my body as if dancing to a close merengue, then take off from there...

Or take them for a "360" CBL and release them back to the 1,2,3 on the correct foot, when they return at you on the "wrong" beat...

Too, I've used the gentle pull of her foward as soon as the spins are done so she gets the idea, of "not yet"...

You can always let go of her, do a little shine and pick her to the right beat from a CBL....

Keep trying until you find what works best for you...

10. tj

tj New Member

Hmm, thinking about this (the getting off time issue), I think what I tend to do is to finish off the rest of that 8-count, and then emphasize the "1" of the next frame (several different ways to do this) so that she knows what beat I'm keeping.

Seems to work for me, at least.

11. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

I tend to do the same tj... and it seems to work for me too.

12. tj

tj New Member

Actually, double inside (counter-clockwise) turns off a CBL always seem to be a challenge for both me to lead and a lot of Follows to follow. Any suggestions?

13. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

:? I'm not sure I get what you mean by "off a CBL" -- do you mean a CBL including 2 inside turns, or something else?

14. squirrel

squirrel New Member

tj... I like my list of presents for Christmas...! :D :lol: :bouncy:

But can't we like add to it a dance with all male DFers who can Salsa (sorry guys, I don't know ballroom and don't really enjoy merengue/bachata...) and all female DFers who Salsa? :wink:

15. Vin

Vin New Member

Thanks for the help. I will definitely try and implement some of these next time I go out.

16. tj

tj New Member

Gladly, although the time, distance, or $$ required to get us all together would make it difficult. (Can we just save virtual dances for each other? Lol)

How about we just wrap Lita up in a bow, and send him to you instead? :wink:

Hey, SD. Yes, I mean two inside turns during a CBL.

17. squirrel

squirrel New Member

Lita is fine by me... :) seems he's a nice guy and a good dancer! :)

18. hopelessly_addicted

hopelessly_addicted New Member

wow I like what you're saying Sabor!! Would love to get to that stage sometime - hopefully that time is not so far! I have experienced only a few seconds of that "weightless" smoothness when dancing.. it certainly is something worthwhile to put lots of practise in to achieve :D

19. hopelessly_addicted

hopelessly_addicted New Member

I think I lose balance when spinning in cases where I arch my back (unconsciously). An advice from my ballroom dancer friend that it is essential to keep your weight forward has been very helpful in keeping balance when spinning.

This friend of mine also mentioned that having strong feet and ankle is also necessary. Any suggestion on why having strong ankle would be of help when spinning? (I understood having strong feet as being more grounded and executing proper weight shifts)

20. Sabor

Sabor New Member

merci h_a.. :D

u understand correctly far as i can tell... it also serves to prevent your ankle from bending under you, twisting or get left behind as u spin (ouch!)