Spotting

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by pygmalion, Oct 5, 2003.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Okay. Those of you who've read my older posts know that one of my current goals is to perfect my multiple spins. To do this, I have to learn to spot.

Questions: What spotting techniques do you use? Is there a video out there which explains spotting well? Do you have spotting experiences you want to share?
  2. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I'll start by saying the head is the last thing to go and the first thing back.
  3. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Jenn, I have some cool exerpts that I can PM you if you want them. I'll send them one-at-a-time if that's OK???
  4. pygmalion

Thanks! :D

That would be so great. You should see me, Vince. I'm starting to feel better. Practice, practice. And I'm really getting excited about my first comp. Just have to work on the spotting. A LOT. :shock:

Thanks again.

Jenn
  5. dancergal

dancergal New Member

I'm still working on spotting better too. I make such a difference when I get it right. My spins are much nicer when I do it and they look cleaner too. I never used to spot dancing CW and I thought my spins were good, but I can see the difference there too. But it's a hard habit to break. All I can say is practice, practice until it comes natural.
  6. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Outstanding, and it sounds as though your confidence level is raising???

This is your first comp . . . you may be able to do it all, but you may not. Get that routine into muscle memory, then work on the spotting, soft arms, the correct way to hold your hands, where your head goes, etc. There is a bunch to get under your belt, AND . . .

. . . YOU WILL DO IT!
  7. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Me too. Spotting is one of my weak areas and I practice so hard on them.

Spotting has to be done, and when it is done correctly, it adds so much to the look of your dance . . .

Pam, it really looks good in the 2 Step!
  8. pygmalion

I had spotting epiphany yesterday. It's hard to describe, but I'll try. All of a sudden, I started seeing things in flashes. Like a clear, small picture appeared in a frame every time I turned by head sharply. Change to promenade, see a picture. Go into a turn, see another picture. It's weird; like you're seeing everything around you in frames.

I think I'm on my way! :D
  9. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Yep, it sounds as though you had "the Big O" of spotting.

Wow, you're going to knock them silly next month in competition!
  10. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I learned a lot about turning when I took private lessons from a jazz dancer. Do you know know how to do some of the jazz turns?

For example, here is one you don't see in ballroom too often:
    - Try spinning to the left on your right foot
    - And spinning to the right on your left foot
  11. d nice

d nice New Member

Actually spotting doesn't have to be done. Figure-skaters, Balkan Dancers, and African Dancers do not spot, and execute multiple spins at high velocity, both on and off "center".

SPotting is a convention that makes certain spins easier if you rely on visual cues for balance. The inner ear though is the primary source of balance, dizziness is generally caused by the inner ear "reporting" one thing and the eyes another.

The body can be trained just as easily to disregard these false visual cues.

Not saying that you shouldn't learn spotting... I know how, trained long iand hard in it. Just know you have other options. Some spins I spot because it is a neat visual, and looks good. Others I don't because the whipping head is a distraction, and limits the speed of my spins.
  12. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Yes, you are correct. Many Pros and teachers do not advocate spotting, however, can I add, that if you do "not" spot, you probably need to make sure that your shoulder's do not lean or twist, and your head must be straight up with the center of balance exactly over your spine. If you are slightly off, your head can unbalance the turn.
  13. pygmalion

I hear you on the spotting thing, guys. At this point, for me, it's one of those things I have to learn. Then I can decide whether or not to use it. Only after I've mastered it can I know whether it's hurting or helping. For now, I just need to do the drills. *shrug* :?
  14. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

I say learn to spot and if it doesn't work, try something else. I know that during spotting pick a point along the line of dance to focus on and find that object every time you spin.