General Dance Discussion > SQ: What does a band play that does "dance music"

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by DWise1, May 6, 2005.

1. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

I've got a stupid question (SQ) that I'm asking mainly out of curiosity but also for future reference.

There was a big VD (Valentine's Day) singles event this year that was to have a band for dancing, but there was no indication of what kind of dancing.

So I Google'd on the band's name (long since deleted from my Palm) and all it said about then was the number to call to book them and that they play "dance music". No playlist, no indication of what style, no naming of what kinds of dances, no naming of what decade, no nothing except "dance music".

So I assume that "dance music" is a stock term that everybody knows within the popular culture (of which I have not been a part for a few decades now).

So what is "dance music" and what should I expect when a "dance music" band plays?

2. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

I don't know, but some of the dance bands have web sites with sample tracks you can download, often full length... this can be a good place to get free swings and foxtrots to practice to.

For example, try googling the Imperial Swing Orchestra - their "come out and play" makes a really fun slow foxtrot or WCS.

3. jon

jon Member

Re: SQ: What does a band play that does "dance music&q

You can be fairly confident that it will not be the same as what you get in the "dance" section at the music store :)

IME this label sometimes gets used for small combos that don't compose or perform any original music, but do covers of a variety of pop music from the 1930s on.

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Yeah. I have the same impression, jon. 8)

5. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Well, this band had nothing on their site except their name and how to book them.

That reference to a "Dance" section in music stores confirms my suspicion that that name has been taken over by one particular new style of popular music (which I'm sure would not suit me). But that also does not necessarily mean that a "dance music band" would play that style. In other words, it would have been anybody's guess.

6. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

True. That is why I would hesitate to ever go to any venue where I didn't know anything more specific. Did you go to the dance...or heard from someone what sort of dance music was actually played?

7. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

No, I didn't. It was a big singles event, purportedly the biggest one in Long Beach. Big party on the Queen Mary. They were offering free tickets for reservists. I considered going and looked into it, but I was (and still am) too early in the divorce process to be ready for it. And I'm not in touch with anybody who had gone.

8. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

ok.

9. Ms_Sunlight

Ms_Sunlight New Member

"Dance music" as popularly defined in the UK would be general club DJ music -- techno, house, drum'n'bass, dub etc.

My money would be on the band being a pop covers band that plays "danceable" music. They would not be described that way in the UK.

10. naz

naz New Member

dance music is repetitive kicks and hihats with cheap repetetive synth instruments with an overlay of some female singing 2 words which is repeated over for the whole song. This type of music is popular because the world is overpopulated with impressionable morons who huddle together to purchase no talent manufactured music. :evil:

sorry....got carried away there. :oops:

11. pygmalion

How do you feel about that, naz? :wink: :lol:

I think there may be two different "dance music" types. One, in my view, is exactly what you're talking about -- the mindless stuff you often hear in clubs. Repetitive beats, some girl wailing about something indecipherable, and a song title you don't know or care enough to find out. :roll: :lol: Lots of hustle and freestyle dancing to this stuff.

Then there are the dance band combos that play in supper clubs, at weddings, and such, which play a danceable mix of old standards, oldies and a few pop tunes. Lots of foxtrot, swing and rumba to this stuff.

I prefer the latter, if the band is good... or even if it isn't.

12. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Oh, you mean disco!
    [grin]

But seriously, when I did finally hear disco (in the late 70's long after its hey-day) my impression was that as mind-numbingly boring as it was musically, it's sheer repetitiveness must make it great for dancing.

But I had formed that opinion a little over 20 years before I was able to start to learn to dance. Rethinking it, I find that that impression might hold true for forms of dance that do not care about the music, but it would not hold true for dances such as Lindy (at least this is where I've been learning it the most) in which we use the music to inspire our dancing (on the technical side, this involves hitting the breaks and matching the phrasing). Hence, I find that I was partially wrong: musically boring music is in fact not great for dancing in general, but perhaps only for highly repetitive and (to my mind) boring forms of dancing.

But I believe I was still right about how musically interesting disco was not.

13. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

I took the same thing away that dance music can mean two things.

But mine vary slightly.

Clubs that announce dance music sometimes mean a variety of things: Disco, techno, house, top 40 remixes...basically something that any Tom, Dick, and Harry can move to...normally freestyle or grinding (think frat parties with clusters of girls bopping and grinders around the parimeter). Depending on the club and the advertisements, you should be able to get an idea for what kind of dance music will be played. Other, and smarter clubs are more specific.

When a band refers to themselves as playing dance music, as previously stated, it tends to mean cover bands for weddings, bar mitsvahs, etc. The reason they don't advertise themselves as a merengue band is often they are playing such a variety of music that they aren't specific to one style of dance. Others may advertise themselves this way but really have no knowledge of dance and don't realize they should mention rhumba music or foxtrot as they don't know the differences in the dances and what music goes with what dance...they just play and people get on the floor.

14. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

ahh, the queen mary dance. i heard it was american top 40 & a small crowded dance floor - think your basic holiday work party band. i passed.

if you were that curious, why not call them & ask? anyone accepting booking should be informed enough to answer basic questions any potential client might ask.

15. Lucretia

Lucretia New Member

In Sweden dance music and dance band means our local version of swing...called Bugg mixed with foxtrot and perhaps a few "swingable" latino songs (Gloria Estefan, merengue).

It mostly stinks because every song (except for foxtrots) are adjusted to Bugg.

/luc

16. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

There is a form of swing dance called Bugg in Sweden too, correct?
    For some reason I believe I heard someone talking about it but am personally more familary with other European forms of swing such as Boogie Woogie and Rock n' Roll.

17. NWesterner

NWesterner New Member

Am I the only one who sees something odd in this Q&A (or rather A&Q)? :wink:

18. pygmalion

lol. You should see the long, long conversations we've had about "what is ballroom dance." Terminology is a funny thing. :wink:

19. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

The above conversation was described as a local verison of swing. The word foxtrot had also been tossed in too. That doesn't necessarily mean it is swing.

As far as I was aware we were talking about music and the definition of "dance music" I was merely asking if a dance existed by the same name.

Go bunny...go beat pygmalion in taking over the world!! mwhahaha

20. naz

naz New Member

i agree about those 2 different types. There are some good dance music, they are less computer generated. The ones that get crazy with the computers are usually not as good in my taste. I used to like techno and all that stuff years ago, now i've moved into RnB, rap, pop music usually has good beats, but the wonder woman nsync voices usually ruin the song LOL. perhaps they should play the instrumentals. :)