Squareup.com

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Larinda McRaven, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Does anyone have any advice. I have already reported the company to the BBB. And I would also like to go the Attorney General in CA (if that is the correct office). We are talking about $1000 of my money they are holding...

I recently signed up for Square.... and online Credit Card Merchant service. They sent me a free CC swiper.

I took my first payment using their swiper... and it did not swipe. So I hand entered the number. I looked online at my account an was charged a higher merchant rate since I had to hand enter the amount.

I contacted their email support and requested them to lower the merchant rate for that transaction. They sent me a generic response and a link to FAQ on getting a better swipe. I responded and said I already read the FAQs and I simply want to be reimbursed for the higher charges since the swiper does not work. They said "no, the rates are static regardless of the situation."

I said "fine I will close my account as soon as you deposit my money into my bank account." She responded "Ok, when you are ready we will just need to verify you account info and I will close it for you."

I waited two weeks for my money to be transferred into my bank account. I went through their online support and created a support ticket to ask why my money was being held. Their response was "We are busy with the holiday... perhaps after Thanksgiving it will be transferred."

Then without warning the next day my account was closed and I received and email from the first support person telling me that should I ever want to open my account just let her know!! I responded that she "should not have done that since I still have money waiting to be transferred. Please reopen my account."

No one will respond to my emails anymore, I have sent 6. And since my account is closed I cannot access the online support and my support ticket.
  2. flashdance

flashdance Active Member

You're not the only one it seems, have you read some of the stories on their forums? :shock: Hope you get your money back Larinda.
  3. Larinda McRaven

I have read their forums which is why I only took one payment with the service... :( then waited to see what happened.

I am agast that a company with So Much Potential could have such horrendous service.
  4. pruthe

pruthe Member

I signed up over 6 months ago and still haven't gotten a swiper. Sounds like you have a defective swiper. Maybe a new one might work better, if you could get one. I saw your post at Square Up forum web site. There were some recent responses from others about transactions over $1K being held for 30 days. Maybe you will get your money after 30 days. Also seems to be their policy that any manual transactions have a higher transaction %. If I ever get my swiper (and it works), I will use this service in a very limited way to see if any good. Good luck with getting money back.
  5. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Maybe you can ask one of the Cali peeps to go by there office in the dead of night and throw a brick through their window.
  6. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

How did you make your payment? If it was by credit card, you could get your credit card company to cancel the charges as a fraudulent purchase. If it was from your bank account, it's harder, but you could try.
  7. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

Sorry, I'm just waking up... this a client's CC payment they are holding? If you're on good terms with your client, you could ask them to cancel the charges.
  8. Larinda McRaven

Yes, it is my student's cc money they are holding from me. I have explained to her the whole situation. And she is willing to cancel the charges through her credit card. But I want to try to keep her out of the mess as long as possible. I want Square to do the right thing. And I did report them to the CA Attorney General.
  9. DL

DL Well-Known Member

One imagines that the CC company might have a fraud services division that would take an interest. Surely they want to jump on anybody who makes cards less usable for transactions.
  10. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

sounds to me like a good time to get a local attorney to send a curt letter on legal stationary
  11. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

lolz...btw, my husband will be in boston next week:)
  12. Larinda McRaven

Give me his number!!! :))
  13. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Ah, well, no promises but Number One Son is an attorney in LA. Perhaps he could write a letter for you.
  14. Larinda McRaven

I spoke to my student last night and just asked her to cancel the credit card transaction from her end. :( She used a Debit Card... so now it really is an uphill battle.

From reading their forums it seems that they have ever changing policies regarding WHEN money gets deposited. OK so they are a newer company trying to figure out how to do business but it seems pretty risky to be dealing with large amounts of money and credit card transaction and peoples banking accounts without a well formed plan FIRST.

And really I wouldn't be so cranky if they would just RESPOND to my inquires.
  15. Indiana_Jay

Indiana_Jay Active Member

I agree that a letter from a lawyer makes a lot of sense at this point. It wouldn't hurt if that letter also mentioned that you've already filed a complaint with the AG.

Another possible way to get attention would be to inform their venture capital firm, Khosla Ventures, that a company they're backing is playing hide-and-seek with your money. If Square won't return your calls, they'll surely return a call from their funding source!

Or, contact Square's founder, Jack Dorsey directly. He's the same guy who founded Twitter. If you are a Twitter user, try tweeting Jack directly @Jack.
  16. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

wow. what dirty business! good luck Larinda!!