Ballroom Dance > Standard syllabus questions

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by waltzguy, Jan 18, 2009.

1. waltzguy

waltzguy Active Member

Does anyone know if the following International Standard figures are syllabus (Bronze, Silver, Gold) or not:

Waltz: Natural Standing Free Spin
    Waltz: Natural Pivot Turn
    Quickstep: Scatter Chasse
    Quickstep: Quicks in PP (not sure of the real name)

2. Laura

Laura New Member

Not syllabus.

I'm not sure about this one...I think it's not syllabus, but I don't have a recent copy of the ISTD book in front of me to check.

Not syllabus.

Not syllabus. There is no Promenade in any Quickstep steps in the Syllabus.

3. dancepro

dancepro Member

Waltz; Natural Standing Free Spin: I am not sure what step you are talking about.

Waltz; Natural pivot Turn. It is a Quickstep step. In IDTA it is a cross over step so you are allowed to dance it in Waltz. I am not sure what the ISTD step list says. My partner and I did that step in Waltz. It was one of my favorite steps to dance if it was followed by a 1-3 of a Natural Turn.

Quickstep; Scatter Chasse: This step is not in any syllabus it is an open step.

Quickstep; Quicks in PP: I am not sure what step you are talking about.

Dancepro

4. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

No, no, no, and no.

However, after a left whisk you can do an "untwist" and limited runaround which is somewhat like a "standing spin".

The natural pivot turn as you are thinking of it is syllabus in Quickstep (and there's also a figure with that name in tango).

5. Laura

Laura New Member

This jogs my memory...when I first answered I was thinking about just normal regular pivots. If this step is what I think it is, then I had it in Gold Syllabus Waltz.

6. Chris Stratton

That's true, there are a few things on the IDTA list not on ISTD.

7. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Natural pivot turn is SQQS in quickstep. How do you time it in waltz? 123& kinda like reverse turn to reverse pivot?

8. dancepro

dancepro Member

That is how we danced it (123&) followed by a 1-3 of a Natural Turn (123).

Dancepro

9. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Thanks, dancepro! :)

10. dancepro

dancepro Member

You are very welcome.

Dancepro

11. Josh

Josh Active Member

I think you mean the natural promenade turn, there isn't really a "pivot" figure like this in tango, though the fallaway reverse and the chase have pivots.

12. Laura

Laura New Member

He means a Natural turn that pivots on 2 (in waltz) and the first quick (in quickstep). Right? I did learn this in both quickstep and waltz when I was doing Gold syllabus. I don't have a book so I can't look it up.

13. Chris Stratton

I mean the figure that pivots on the fourth step. Worth mentioning in comparison to the spin turn, for example, which is similar but isn't quite as completely a pivot.

And yes I mixed up the name of the tango figure.

14. Laura

Laura New Member

Yeah, I think we're talking about the same thing because I can't count.

15. Josh

Josh Active Member

Sure you can! At least to 8 or so if you're a dancer! :) And I understand what you are talking about Chris, it is a pivot, I overlooked that.

16. Laura

Laura New Member

I have a hard time counting higher than two because I only have two feet. :)

17. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

Well concerning the Quicks in PP in QS -- I was once told that IDTA allowed Tipsy to left to begin from a PP position. It was the one place that a PP could occur in QS. Of course IDTA!=ISTD and most places stateside are explicitly ISTD only.

18. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

How does IDTA allow one to actually get into PP?

19. dancepro

dancepro Member

Open Impetus Turn and Open Telemark

Dancepro

20. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

My partner led me to PP in Silver Quickstep at a recent comp.... my reaction was :shock::shock::shock:, but I followed (and chewed him out later) :p.