Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > Starz announces a new series, "Blackpool," produced by the Houghs

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by sambagirl, Feb 26, 2013.

1. sambagirl

sambagirl Member

2. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

Man... i hope Amazon Instant or Hulu runs this, as I am too cheap to get Starz. It sounds like it could be interesting, or a total trainwreck a la American Anthem or Hackers. So wrong, you wish it was right!

3. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I also heard that Ryan Seacrest would be doing a reality show about wealthy women in Mendocito and their ballroom instructors. Kind of like a "Real Housewives" combined with ballroom....

4. rydancefan

rydancefan New Member

Wow I didn't know about this. I really hope this will be shown online somewhere.

5. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

I think I get this channel. Will have to check. Would love to see this show.

6. chuckie1028

chuckie1028 Member

I wish someone would do a REAL doc on the world of latin ballroom, the rivalries, politics, personal relationships etc... I bet their is so much juicy stuff we don't know. Shame everyone but North America is obsessed with the world of competitive ballroom. America needs to get on the ball already like Europe and Asia.

stash, debmc, Bailamosdance and 2 others like this.
  7. no_name901

no_name901 Member

I believe TLC is set to release something along those lines this year, named Ballroom Blitz? Following Pro-Am competitors from competition to competition and training?

8. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I would guess they meant the Amateur or Professional competitors. The problem with that is first, for an American audience, even most of the "American" dancers are too foreign (serious niche-market fans will learn how to pronounce a name with no vowels, the average TV viewer doesn't want to) with zero name recognition if they haven't been on DWTS, and second, the very top people generally want nothing to do with being stalked by TV cameras. When they tried to do a "Dance Moms" style show about skating the USFS-associated clubs wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole, so they wound up with ISI skaters doing no-name events no one had heard of and no one ultimately cared about (with ISI's philosophy it's hard to create the fake suspense Dance Moms does for its competitions.) So you'd end up with mid-pack people.

9. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

That sounds bizarre enough to be real.