Ballroom Dance > Step Pattern Opposites

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceMentor, Aug 12, 2017.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Not completely,, but partially it could be said Rumba Cross is the Opposite of Big Top as they both employ (for the man) a forward step, cross behind, and turn. This is a loose characterization, but interesting. Are there any steps that are even closer to being a true opposite to the Big Top or Rumba Cross? What other interesting opposites come to mind?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  2. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Funny you mentioning this. Worked on both figures this past week. Will have to take a different look at them, next time they come up, which will probably be next week. (Teach has great faith that I will manage a decent Rumba Cross before I die.)

3. DanceMentor

Sure, and I posted that one right after I woke up, and just now I realized there were many mistakes in the grammar which I think are now corrected!

4. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I think the first ones people notice are the hairpin and the tumble turn.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  5. DanceMentor

Quick open reverse and tumble turn also.

6. Larinda McRaven

no. The quick open does not have a pivot ending. The tumble and the hair pin do.

7. DanceMentor

I think I was more thinking of the first four steps. Comparing the man's and ladies Parts in each they are very similar. I guess you could pivot at the end of the quick open reverse if you wanted to.

I'm not clear on the pattern you use for The Hairpin though. I would like to know the footwork as I'm sure you know what you're talking about, but I don't.

8. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

It doesn't have to, but it can.

DM: think of a hairpin as the beginning of a closed impetus with the end of a curved feather.

9. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Int'l FT cont. rev wave is exactly the opposite of connected feathers and three steps.

Because I'd already learned the lead's part for the basic, 'learning' that figure took exactly 3 seconds. It went something like "keep your posture, but dance the lead's steps". (And we've spent the next ~2 years picking it apart to make it perfect.)

j_alexandra and DanceMentor like this.
  10. Dr Dance

Dr Dance Well-Known Member

There are different kinds of "opposites" at play here. The tumble turn vs. quick open reverse plus pivot and the continuous wave vs. three step and feather "opposites" are leader/ follower "role reverse" figures. The leader does the follower's steps and vice versa. The first example of rumba cross vs. big top is more of a "directional opposite" (Natural vs. reverse motion). Another role reverse example would be the open telemark vs. reverse impetus.

j_alexandra and DanceMentor like this.
  11. Dr Dance

Dr Dance Well-Known Member

Correction: CLOSED telemark vs. reverse impetus. (Open telemark yes if you finish your reverse impetus in counter promenade position.)

12. DanceMentor

Yes, that was what I imagined too, or similarly a heel pull and curved feather ending.

13. Mengu

Mengu Well-Known Member

As best I know, hairpin has a bunch of variations... If you commence it with right foot forward, it's just a curved feather. But you can commence it from promenade, or with right foot going back, or for the syncopated varieties there can be a heel pull or a natural pivot ahead of it.

14. Larinda McRaven

The book version of hairpin is a natural ending with a natural pivot (outside) ending. Unless you take into account DVIDA's book and then it is just step 4. That is it for hairpin. Anything else is just a misnamed nickname.

15. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

How do you define "natural ending?"

16. Larinda McRaven

by the book... the pattern called natural ending.

17. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Must be some other syllabus book then.

18. DanceMentor

The definition of Natural Ending is "ending with any natural figure"?
    I'm imaging standing on my right foot, having steps OP maybe DWaLOD, and about to step back on my left foot.
    Yes, same question here. Follows that I might consider after a Hairpin might include bounce fallaway ending, outside spin, heel pull rumba cross, back feather, but of course I can't image any way we could turn left, except maybe an outside swivel? (ex. 1/4 turn to left, and probably not the best plan)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017 at 12:57 PM